View Poll Results: Do you feel a sense of neighborhood where you live now?

Voters
47. This poll is closed
  • I do.

7 14.89%
  • I don't.

32 68.09%
  • Sort of.

5 10.64%
  • I am wearing my underwear on my head and just want to give a random answer.

3 6.38%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

A Sense of Neighborhood

Some places have a sense of neighborhood, others may not. Do you feel there is a sense of neighborhood where you live? If so, what is it that you notice? If not, what is it that you feel is missing?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    If not, what is it that you feel is missing?
    Me actually going out and talking with people.

Talking.

With people.

Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I live in an apartment complex. Aside from seeing a few tenants every now and then we all stay in our own little bubbles (apartments).

Yes there is very much a sense of neighborhood around here, there aren't many businesses so we often meet at the few businesses there are. We know each other's names and watch out for each other when we can.

I grew up in a small town where everyone knew everyone else. It had it's pros and cons.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd
    I live in an apartment complex. Aside from seeing a few tenants every now and then we all stay in our own little bubbles (apartments)
    I lived closer to downtown for about four years and it was about the same. That's what prompted me to make the thread, several times in recent months I've been struck by the difference here.

Now, I'm out in a suburb and I've been here for five or six years. I know several of my neighbors, I recognize some of the other residents, and I'm seen around enough that people randomly greet me. I'm a regular in local shops, the owners know me and go out of their way to be helpful. During a particularly bad stretch of xenophobia (we have those every few years) a loudmouth tried to stir up a group to beat me because I was an evil foreigner dating an underage Chinese girl. Fiancee #1 was really short -- 145 cm -- and baby faced. She was often mistaken for 14 or younger, but I think she was 26 or so at the time. One of the shop owners who knew us came out and stuck up for us as people he knew, he also pointed out that I was local and the troublemaker wasn't.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    There isn't in the neighborhood I am currently living in. That's part of the reason I'm selling my house. (Plus I wanted to make 85k)

I used to live in a neighborhood where everyone knew everyone and there were a ton of kids for us to play with. I want that for my boys too.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

10+ Year Old Account
    Some places have a sense of neighborhood, others may not. Do you feel there is a sense of neighborhood where you live? If so, what is it that you notice? If not, what is it that you feel is missing?
    Well I live in an apartment complex, and don't really know my neighbors, nor do I get the sense that neighbors know each other in general. That said, there is definitely a personality to the neighborhood itself.

- - - Updated - - -

I lived closer to downtown for about four years and it was about the same. That's what prompted me to make the thread, several times in recent months I've been struck by the difference here.

Now, I'm out in a suburb and I've been here for five or six years. I know several of my neighbors, I recognize some of the other residents, and I'm seen around enough that people randomly greet me. I'm a regular in local shops, the owners know me and go out of their way to be helpful. During a particularly bad stretch of xenophobia (we have those every few years) a loudmouth tried to stir up a group to beat me because I was an evil foreigner dating an underage Chinese girl. Fiancee #1 was really short -- 145 cm -- and baby faced. She was often mistaken for 14 or younger, but I think she was 26 or so at the time. One of the shop owners who knew us came out and stuck up for us as people he knew, he also pointed out that I was local and the troublemaker wasn't.
    Well I live near downtown in Houston, and don't know my neighbors, but I do know a number of the shop owners and restaurant people around here. My local bar/restaurant knows me well enough that they're always giving me free stuff and asking me to try out their experimental cocktails for free.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I think it's just a matter of quantity. Inner City/downtown apartments have so many people, with new ones switching out every day, that it's impossible to get to know them all and it feels like you're surrounded by strangers, so people keep to themselves. Suburbs, however, have far few and far more consistent occupants. Especially as homeowners essentially have a long term investment in the community, so you want to get to know who the few people you're going to be around for awhile.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live near the top of a big highrise next to a highrise across from other highrises and a few blocks from the very center of Chicago. There is an epic sense of neighborhood in that I live with literally hundreds of thousands of people but not in the sense that I really know anyone. There are familiar faces in my building and my gym but aside from that the vast majority of people I see are strangers.

Around my house (urban-ish area), I know all of my neighbors by name. We occasionally get together to grill and have some drinks.

In my worklife, I'm extremely well connected in my industry. I can't go to any nearby bars or restaurants without running into people I've worked for, or worked with, or employed.

So, yes, I feel a sense of neighborhood. Which is a good thing I think. For example, if I dropped my wallet outside my house, I'm 99% sure it would get back to me.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    No not really. I'm good friends with one of my neighbors but the rest I couldn't even tell you what their first names are. Only interactions is a little wave here and there if we see each other doing shit in our lawns but I won't go strike up conversations with random neighbors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I say hello to my neighbors in passing other than that they can all fuck right off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    You must have a very nice view. While I love seclusion, I'd also love to own a highrise condo in a major city... just to visit once in awhile.
    I've thought about buying a place in a high rise in downtown Houston. I like the urban feel.

Now is probably not the best time for me to be buying anything anywhere though.

Not really. When I was growing up there we all knew our neighbors and had BBQs and the like. Where I live now I barely know my neighbors. Next door is the super bitch who will just glare angrily at you if you say hello. About a month ago her ex BF attempted to break into her house and do who knows what to her. A week before that he was taken away by the police. So I went outside and asked him if there was any problem and whether he was the guy the police took away the week before. I have no reception in my house so it was either that or let him break in. I think she hates me more now. The one neighbor I do talk to is my aunt and her BF said that shes the same to him.

10+ Year Old Account
    You must have a very nice view. While I love seclusion, I'd also love to own a highrise condo in a major city... just to visit once in awhile.
    I can't complain. I can see the lake, the highrises between 9th and Roosevelt, and the entire west-side of Chicago which includes the setting sun every night through floor-to-ceiling windows that cover the entire west wall.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to buy a highrise in Waikiki. Have a view of the city and the ocean... that would be so awesome. Just have to wait till my husband gets out of the Army before we go off buying our dream home.
    Well, I mean Downtown Houston isn't exactly my dream high rise location. I was just thinking of something reasonable, given that I work in Houston. I'd much rather have a highrise condo on Central Park in New York, but I don't see that happenning... ever. Unless I win the lottery.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I can't complain. I can see the lake, the highrises between 9th and Roosevelt, and the entire west-side of Chicago which includes the setting sun every night through floor-to-ceiling windows that cover the entire west wall.
    Yeah, the whole concept of floor to ceiling windows in a high rise just sounds amazing. And do I give a shit if someone with a telescope sees me walking around naked? Nope. Not at all.

Sort of, I live in an apartment complex with several buildings and some villas. It's mostly the elderly that are interested in conversing.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    When I walk my tortoise around and let him play in the nearby park, I definitely get to stop and chat with people who come and see the exotic pet. But for the most part we just talk about the tortoise.

In general I keep to myself and don't interact to heavily with neighbors since I have a few trashier ones including the queen of all hoochie club girls who annoys the shit out of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I live in rural NM, so no. I can barely see my "neighbor's" yard from my house. That's a single neighbor, because as far as I can tell, I don't actually have a neighbor on the other side for like 2mi.

I when I want interaction, i seek out those I wish to interact with. Sometimes, they'll promote an opportunity to include others.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================