Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    You'll not get a trade deal close to what you have now. I mean that much muts be obvious to you. Without even talking about details, it must be clear that the EU can't give you what you already have while accepting the negative points of you withdrawing from all obligations.
    Yeah of course I wouldn't expect that, I just mean that would be the ideal option we would want and the negotiations will be a case of trying to get as close to that as the EU is willing to agree to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    The UK has applied tariffs to EU goods already. The Pounds devaluation has seen to that , EU imports to the UK (German cars/ovens etc) are more expensive, our UK exports are cheaper at a discount and more competitive.

Probably explains why the London stock exchange is near 12 month highs and the German/French are near 12 month lows. The remainiacs said the average UK family would be £4300 worse off, in fact they are probably £4300 better off.
    Question: Do you see no flaw in your logic?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinch View Post
    Yeah of course I wouldn't expect that, I just mean that would be the ideal option we would want and the negotiations will be a case of trying to get as close to that as the EU is willing to agree to.
    Obviously the UK will try to get the same deal without any of the obligations. But the UK must see it is a ridiculous proposition. Or are Brexiters just blind to logic?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    Question: Do you see no flaw in your logic?
    Sure, my beer on the beach in Spain might be a little more expensive, but hardly the discomfort German car manufacturers must feel when their best customer has effectively slapped 10% on prices.

Haven't German car manufacturers share prices almost halved in the last 12months? Those flaws you mean?
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

I think, this is actually the most sensible thing you've said in this thread so far. Congratulations, you've now reached a point where you could theoretically talk seriously about the negotiations.

I am a bit proud of you. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    Obviously the UK will try to get the same deal without any of the obligations. But the UK must see it is a ridiculous proposition. Or are Brexiters just blind to logic?
    Like I said I wouldn't expect it at all, its just going to be a benchmark to work towards isn't it.

- - - Updated - - -

I think, this is actually the most sensible thing you've said in this thread so far. Congratulations, you've now reached a point where you could theoretically talk seriously about the negotiations.

I am a bit proud of you. :P
    Its what I have been saying from the start!

Its what I have been saying from the start!
    In a very rambling and roundabout way, maybe.

And you have the disadvantage of your side creating a lot of useless white noise by making "demands" or wanting the EU to crumble or even outright expecting the EU to double down to the might of the UK... because Empire or something...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

And you have the disadvantage of your side creating a lot of useless white noise by making "demands" or wanting the EU to crumble or even outright expecting the EU to double down to the might of the UK... because Empire or something...
    Wouldn't disagree with the first part, the sooner we get a new government in place and have one unifying voice the better.

I wouldn't expect the EU to crumble, but they do have a lot to lose out of this as well so I would expect compromise on both sides - by the same token the UK is not going to crumble to the EU.

15+ Year Old Account
    The UK has applied tariffs to EU goods already. The Pounds devaluation has seen to that , EU imports to the UK (German cars/ovens etc) are more expensive, our UK exports are cheaper at a discount and more competitive.
    I uhm, do you have any sources at all for these things?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I uhm, do you have any sources at all for these things?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/m...hree_month.stm

In May 2016 a 50000 euro German car @ 1.34/pound would cost £37300
    In July 2016 a 50000 euro German car @ 1.17/pound will cost £42700

Quite some tariff, It's the German pensioners I feel sorry for not fair that they pay for our Brexit.
    Last edited by dribbles; 2016-07-07 at 10:48 AM.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Deleted
    Sure, my beer on the beach in Spain might be a little more expensive, but hardly the discomfort German car manufacturers must feel when their best customer has effectively slapped 10% on prices.

Haven't German car manufacturers share prices almost halved in the last 12months? Those flaws you mean?
    Ahh i see what we are dealing with here...

I don't think the childish: "I am worse off, but you are even worse off"-outlook is the attitude someone should be discussing these things with.

Regardless:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...etting-started

The current rate is at 1,174 euro per pound and the trend is not looking all too good; so you should really go to spain soon, as you might not be able to afford the mentioned beer if this continues.

Deleted
    So some folks here believe that a weak pound is good for a country like the UK that imports much more than they export?

Really?

Deleted

Probably explains why the London stock exchange is near 12 month highs and the German/French are near 12 month lows. The remainiacs said the average UK family would be £4300 worse off, in fact they are probably £4300 better off.
    You do know the pound drop made them poorer?
    whatever - Look into the difference with FTSE 100 and FTSE 250.
    - And remember you haven't left yet, hell you haven't even said you will.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klatar View Post
    So some folks here believe that a weak pound is good for a country like the UK that imports much more than they export
    It's not particularly weak right now vs euro, it's been lower.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    - And remember you haven't left yet, hell you haven't even said you will.
    and every month that goes by we are still in with the UK tariffs applied, the more those poor German pensioners suffer from falling car exports. Why would we rush anything?

Deleted
    and every month that goes by we are still in with the UK tariffs applied, the more those poor German pensioners suffer from falling car exports. Why would we rush anything?
    Because you wanted to leave? Or isn't that what Brexit is? Brexit was a vote on how to fuck with German pensioners?

Deleted
    Actually the FSE 100 is different. In the FSE 100 are mostly big international companies that dont make their profits in the UK. Additionally they made their profit in $ or€. So their profits just increased v ecause of the weak pound. Those effects arent permanent though.

Look at the FSE 250 which contains a lot of companies with focus on the home market. They ve seen a massive decrease even before Art 50 was invoked. The true consequences of Brexit will take at least after Brexit really happened, so at least 2019.

- - - Updated - - -

Well the € itself has problems. You really want to compare to a currency in crysis?

Anyways.Who says a currency is weak or strong? € is weak und pound now is weak too.

Wouldn't disagree with the first part, the sooner we get a new government in place and have one unifying voice the better.

I wouldn't expect the EU to crumble, but they do have a lot to lose out of this as well so I would expect compromise on both sides - by the same token the UK is not going to crumble to the EU.
    Unlike the UK, the EU can actually afford to just walk away and not have a successful trade agreement. The UK on the other hand, is betting its entire pot on making an agreeable deal at the end of it. That's the imbalance and misconceptions Brexiters are still ignoring.

Deleted

If you want to stay in EU. Just stay. xD

We thought YOU wanted out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/m...hree_month.stm

In May 2016 a 50000 euro German car @ 1.34/pound would cost £37300
    In July 2016 a 50000 euro German car @ 1.17/pound will cost £42700

Quite some tariff, It's the German pensioners I feel sorry for not fair that they pay for our Brexit.
    Tariff? That's currency fluctuation... do you even know what a tariff is?

7+ Year Old Account
    Those effects arent permanent though..
    Ok Mystic Meg....

Look at the FSE 250 which contains a lot of companies with focus on the home market. They ve seen a massive decrease even before Art 50 was invoked. The true consequences of Brexit will take at least after Brexit really happened, so at least 2019.
    I'll cherry pick FTSE 100 you cherry pick FTSE 250, let's not cherry pick at all and take the FTSE 350. Yes you guessed it, at a near 12 month high