7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Tariff? That's currency fluctuation... do you even know what a tariff is?
    If that's what you want to believe, even better. In hard cash terms it is a tariff, call it what you will if it makes you feel better, it sure won't feel good to your car manufacturers... I hope they just see it as currency fluctuations, but I doubt it, more like staff lay offs, redundancies and falling stock prices.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    Half of us did want to stay it's just the 1.9% extra that didn't which I dunno doesnt seem feasibly huge enough to make such a dramatic change, if it was 5% yeah sure go ahead but 1.9% it's not really justifiable also they now lack leaders.
    5% margin is not high enough. A dramatic change that affects the entire country on this level for decades to come with immediate prospects of it being a change for the worse? 75% is where I'd aim for. Not 55% percent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    If that's what you want to believe, even better. In hard cash terms it is a tariff, call it what you will if it makes you feel better, it sure won't feel good to your car manufacturers... I hope they just see it as currency fluctuations, but I doubt it, more like staff lay offs, redundancies and falling stock prices.
    Are you now redefining actual language and economic concepts just to fit your narrative? Have you no shame at all?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    5% margin is not high enough. A dramatic change that affects the entire country on this level for decades to come with immediate prospects of it being a change for the worse? 75% is where I'd aim for. Not 55% percent.

Let's agree on 2/3 at the very least.

Are you now redefining actual language and economic concepts just to fit your narrative? Have you no shame at all?
    He's for Brexit. Shame is exported to other countries with tariff free deals.

Deleted
    Half of us did want to stay it's just the 1.9% extra that didn't which I dunno doesnt seem feasibly huge enough to make such a dramatic change, if it was 5% yeah sure go ahead but 1.9% it's not really justifiable also they now lack leaders.
    Quite honestly; In my opinion the difference between them should be 20 points for decisions this big with effects of this magnitude.

Edit: Or even better the number of points the winning side should have over the losing side should be affected by the percentage of voters that attended the vote.
    Last edited by mmocda667d9fcc; 2016-07-07 at 11:23 AM.

Yeah but I was saying as a bare minimum as I would tend to agree but you know we will only get the "We won get over it and deal with it" arguement though now as they think they trounced us.
    The fun bit is that Farage was already halfway up the barricades to fight the decision in case the result was reversed. I'm surprised nobody is calling him out for that shit, yet. I mean, it doesn't change much in a practical sense, but that dude's political career has to be dead now, surely?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that democracy is a bummer hey.

I am just calling a tariff a tariff, however you want to dress it up. The UK has slapped tariffs on EU imports, which bit of that don't you understand?
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/m...hree_month.stm

In May 2016 a 50000 euro German car @ 1.34/pound would cost £37300
    In July 2016 a 50000 euro German car @ 1.17/pound will cost £42700

Quite some tariff, It's the German pensioners I feel sorry for not fair that they pay for our Brexit.
    ... so you don´t know what a tariff is and you think germans will pay the difference, when there actually is no difference because the 50.000€ car still costs 50.000€ and the only difference is britons have to pay more?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    Let's agree on 2/3 at the very least.

He's for Brexit. Shame is exported to other countries with tariff free deals.
    I could probably live with 2/3rds, but that would be the absolute minimum. Anything less than that and I'd call it invalid no matter what. And even with 2/3rds I would put up quite a debate about it. The repercussions of this are... so much out of scope. And people have been informed so badly or wilfully wanted to stay ignorant. This is quite outrageous... if it was happening to me, that is.

I am just calling a tariff a tariff, however you want to dress it up. The UK has slapped tariffs on EU imports, which bit of that don't you understand?
    It's currency fluctuations. The market works like that. The UK had nothing to do with it. Since you're by now redefining the English language to a point where you're not even making remote sense anymore, I'll stop discussing this topic with you until you. It's pointless and a bit insulting that I have to educate a British person about the English language...

Sure, my beer on the beach in Spain might be a little more expensive
    If you're worried about pensioners, the cost of beerfor UK retirees in Spanish coasts should be among your concerns
    That, or an influx of those folks back into the mainland.

Deleted
    That's called denial. He is reffering to it as a "tariff" to give himself a false sense of security and a feeling that they indeed intended this and that they haven't lost control of the situation (Despite their leadership abandoning ship on daily basis).

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that democracy is a bummer hey.

Not just EU imports, you understand that? You have to pay more for every import. Now with luxury items like cars you could just buy less, but with items you need, you now have to pay more. Well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/m...hree_month.stm

In May 2016 a 50000 euro German car @ 1.34/pound would cost £37300
    In July 2016 a 50000 euro German car @ 1.17/pound will cost £42700

Quite some tariff, It's the German pensioners I feel sorry for not fair that they pay for our Brexit.

I'm not sure you could understand this any less...first of all, tariff? Really? I recommend looking that word up.

Secondly, and most glaring, in your example here, 'German pensioners' still pay exactly the same - 50.000 euro. How on earth, are they then paying for Brexit, when they don't lose a cent more than they did previously? It's YOUR currency that is down, not theirs...I mean, seriously.

Unlike the UK, the EU can actually afford to just walk away and not have a successful trade agreement. The UK on the other hand, is betting its entire pot on making an agreeable deal at the end of it. That's the imbalance and misconceptions Brexiters are still ignoring.
    The UK could afford it too, even the worst predictions for the UK (WTO rules) predict that we would suffer a shallow recession in the short term and would grow less quickly in the long term. Nowhere near as bad as the 2008-09 financial crisis.

The eurozone is also in a very precarious position at the moment. If the EU were to just walk away it could very easily tip their economies into recession too.
    Last edited by Tinch; 2016-07-07 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinch View Post
    The UK could easily afford it too, even the worst predictions for the UK (WTO rules) predict that we would suffer a shallow recession in the short term and would grow less quickly in the long term. Nowhere near as bad as the 2008-09 financial crisis.

The eurozone is also in a very precarious position at the moment. If the EU were to just walk away it could very easily tip their economies into recession too.
    Yeah, but the UK hasn't had to deal with a recession on its own for what, almost 50 years now? While the EU is becoming world champion at dealing with recessions.

Yeah, but the UK hasn't had to deal with a recession on its own for what, almost 50 years now? While the EU is becoming world champion at dealing with recessions.
    We dealt with the worst financial crisis in global history, I'm sure we would be able to handle its little sister. I'm not sure countries like Spain, Greece and Italy would do so well though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sama-81 View Post
    I'm not sure you could understand this any less...first of all, tariff? Really? I recommend looking that word up.

Secondly, and most glaring, in your example here, 'German pensioners' still pay exactly the same - 50.000 euro. How on earth, are they then paying for Brexit, when they don't lose a cent more than they did previously? It's YOUR currency that is down, not theirs...I mean, seriously.
    Ok I will try to explain as I would to a five year old.

May 2016 Car Another £37500
    Car German £37500

July 2016 Car Another £37500
    Car German £42500 (+£5000 currency tariff)

The UK purchaser was considering either car in May, now thinks in July the German one is too expensive so buys the other car. The Purchaser is very happy with his new non German car. The Germans have sold less cars. This is not good for german car makers. Old german is poorer as pension fund goes down. Old German has less Money. Old German goes to shops can't spend as much on bread. etc etc

I mean really you don't get this when even a five year old would?

Deleted
    Ok I will try to explain as I would to a five year old.

May 2016 Car Another £37500
    Car German £37500

July 2016 Car Another £37500
    Car German £42500 (+£5000 currency tariff)

The UK purchaser was considering either car in May, now thinks in July the German one is too expensive so buys the other car. The Purchaser is very happy with his new non German car. The Germans have sold less cars. This is not good for german car makers. Old german is poorer as pension fund goes down. Old German has less Money. Old German goes to shops can't spend as much on bread. etc etc

I mean really you don't get this when even a five year old would?
    So someone will still by the more expensive German car? So in the end Germany will get about the same amount, but the brits pay more? In the meantime Chine buys up every other german car ever made. So all in all a win for Germany and a loss for the UK?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    So someone will still by the more expensive German car? So in the end Germany will get about the same amount, but the brits pay more? In the meantime Chine buys up every other german car ever made. So all in all a win for Germany and a loss for the UK?
    As I said, someone with the mind of a five year old would understand, you however need a couple more years education.

Deleted
    As I said, someone with the mind of a five year old would understand, you however need a couple more years education.
    Yes, please use your talking to a 2 year old voice, because I still don't see how it is bad for germans and awesome for brits.