Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

Woman Refuses Marriage Proposal, Burned to Death

BBC - A Pakistani woman who was set on fire for refusing a marriage proposal has died of her injuries.

Maria Sadaqat, a young schoolteacher, was attacked in her home by a group of men on Sunday and died in hospital in Islamabad on Wednesday. Her family say she had turned down a marriage proposal from the son of the owner of a school she had taught at. Campaigners say attacks on women who refuse marriage proposals are common in Pakistan.

Maria's father has said the school owner was one of the men who attacked his daughter. Police told the BBC that the men beat her and doused her in petrol before setting her alight near the hill resort of Murree, not far from the capital. She suffered serious burns on nearly all of her body. Local media report that she had 85% burns.

Ms Sadaqat's maternal aunt, Aasia, told the BBC the trouble started when the school's owner asked for her niece to marry his son. She said: "She was teaching at their school. They sent in the proposal six months ago but the guy was already married and had a daughter. They wanted her to run the school after marrying the son of the owner of the school. "Her father refused the proposal and they took the revenge by doing this."

Nearly 1,100 women were killed in Pakistan last year in so-called honour-killings, the country's independent Human Rights Commission says. Most are by relatives, but a small number carried out by people outside the family are also related to perceived loss of honour, correspondents say. Police said earlier this year that village elders had ordered the murder of a teenage girl because she helped a friend to elope.

Campaigners say most "honour killings" are not reported.

The Council of Islamic Ideology proposed making it legal for husbands to "lightly beat" their wives. Religious groups have equated women's rights campaigns with promotion of obscenity.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36425946

Elementary and middle school teachers, everyone wants 'em.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

With shit like this going on in the world I'm still amazed we have a 20+page "slut shaming" thread because some chick was told her shorts were to provocative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Elementary and middle school teachers, everyone wants 'em.
    Based on a chart.... yes

Hopefully exposure to this will promote a reevaluation of priorities.

10+ Year Old Account
    The criminals should be put to death. Plain and simple.

Disgusting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I know a lot of people are going to blame Islam on this, but as far as I know, there's really no religious precedent at all for this.

No idea how people could partake in something so barbaric and think it's ok. Truly horrific.

I think we just need to negotiate more treaties with countries like this while attaching limp-wristed human rights "demands" and eventually everybody will be happy and everything will magically change.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I know a lot of people are going to blame Islam on this, but as far as I know, there's really no religious precedent at all for this.
    Then why does it happen more often in Muslim countries or by Muslims in Western Countries?

Please don't ban me Endus. I'm just replying to his comment.
    Last edited by mmoc338fdc3aa9; 2016-06-01 at 06:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, fuck Earth, I want out of this shitty humanity crap. Who has a spaceship laying around they can 'lend' me?
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    was attacked in her home by a group of men on Sunday and died in hospital in Islamabad on Wednesday
    Islam a bad.

pun intended?

but yeh this is disgusting, but that's from a country where a lot of men are brought up to view women as property, and we've all kicked and hit our property when angry, these people need to learn women aren't property.

- - - Updated - - -

Then why does it only happen in Muslim countries or by Muslims in Western Countries?

Please don't ban me Endus. I'm just replying to his comment.
    well it doesn't only happen in those countries by muslims, crazy white athiests have done the same i'm sure, but yes with muslims it's far far more common.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    Well, fuck Earth, I want out of this shitty humanity crap. Who has a spaceship laying around they can 'lend' me?
    Don't worry that activity is only located with any ....numerousness.... to one specific area of the world. Though currently that area of the world is being exported to other places so your results may vary.

Then why does it only happen in Muslim countries or by Muslims in Western Countries?
    Well, that's not true. Crazy as fuck stuff is done all the time to women in India by the Hindu population. Honor killings are an unfortunate facet of Christian Lebanese culture now and then. It was also considered acceptable to kill one's wife in certain Catholic countries up until recently.

This ultra-conservative kind of culture in Islamic countries wasn't really a thing until the later 20th century. It's largely a modern invention, with relatively shaky religious justification at best. There really is no precedent to kill a woman who refuses someone's hand in marriage. So whoever would justify that religiously is really stretching things, or more likely, just making stuff up.

It's not a big deal this is like a one off. I'm sure people will make wild generalisations and drag in a bit of racism to make themselves feel better but ultimately this issue is none of the West's business. Let countries handle their own Human Rights issue. I can't believe that some people are already calling for Western intervention in the form of treaties. Keep your nose out of it more like.

What's more this is not an Islamic issue, it's cultural. Islam has nothing to do with this.

Lots of women die from male violence/abuse in the West but that's not sexy and sensationalist news is it now?

"Her father refused the proposal and they took the revenge by doing this."
    She didn't even get to refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    well it doesn't only happen in those countries by muslims, crazy white athiests have done the same i'm sure, but yes with muslims it's far far more common.
    Can we at the very least stop equating Muslims with brown or Middle Eastern people?

Especially in this topic it would have more to do with culture/beliefs than skin or ancestry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    The criminals should be put to death. Plain and simple.
    Problem: What they did is not exactly a crime in Pakistan. This happens all the time there, with over 1100 similar cases last year alone.

So, they aren't criminals, strictly speaking.

Yes, it's terrible. But when you start trying to apply your own sense of morality to another nation's laws, you invite them to do the same to you.

Just be happy you don't live there, and kind and understanding towards those who wish to leave.