Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    The last time the UK had conscription conscripts were mostly sent to Cyprus. Difficult to see how they were protecting the nation.
    Britain has bases in Cyprus, so they were British interests.

Cyprus is not a very good example, as Cyprus gained independence from the UK in the same year national service was abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by SandMax View Post
    If they require slaves to defend it, sure aint good nation.
    Bit of luck they do not use slaves then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Britain has bases in Cyprus, so they were British interests.

Cyprus is not a very good example, as Cyprus gained independence from the UK in the same year national service was abolished.

Bit of luck they do not use slaves then.
    Adults forced to do work in threat of punishment, sometimes death, sounds slavery.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not really sure how that is relevant, you still have costs and jobs to do, so utilising your man power for multiple roles makes more sense than doubling up.
    It´s relevant in that the costs are negligible compared to a standing army. They recieve simple training and are essentially cheap labour to society since and i´m repeating myself here the benefits outweight the costs. Foremost it´s not only conscription service it´s either the army or civil service, you can only opt out of both if you are disabled, else it´s either the army where you learn the basics but play a crucial part in natural disaster aid or social service where you help out the elderly, the ill and the disabled. I don´t see why women should be excempt from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Adults forced to do work in threat of punishment, sometimes death, sounds slavery.
    Deja vu...

Deja vu...
    Because its true. You cant honestly compare it to school duty with kiddos who are under raising, and they dont face jail if they dont want to go school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    It´s relevant in that the costs are negligible compared to a standing army. They recieve simple training and are essentially cheap labour to society since and i´m repeating myself here the benefits outweight the costs. Foremost it´s not only conscription service it´s either the army or civil service, you can only opt out of both if you are disabled, else it´s either the army where you learn the basics but play a crucial part in natural disaster aid or social service where you help out the elderly, the ill and the disabled. I don´t see why women should be excempt from that.
    No all countries have military or civil service option, to me that is not really conscription in the traditional sense of the word, certainly not how we would use it in Britain.

Conscription should be mandatory. Maybe we'd have less shit head teenagers ... And yes, that includes Male & Female conscription.

Deleted
    It has been independent for only 14 years (60-74). Then the Turks and Greek came and split it up amongst them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because its true. You cant honestly compare it to school duty with kiddos who are under raising, and they dont face jail if they dont want to go school.
    Deliberate misuse of words still does not make it true.

If you want to argue that it is slavery, then I have no interest in talking to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    No all countries have military or civil service option, to me that is not really conscription in the traditional sense of the word, certainly not how we would use it in Britain.
    Yeah, but that´s how it´s here and i think that´s how it used to be in germany too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deliberate misuse of words still does not make it true.

If you want to argue that it is slavery, then I have no interest in talking to you.
    I understand military is so dear to you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Conscription should be mandatory. Maybe we'd have less shit head teenagers ... And yes, that includes Male & Female conscription.
    You can bugger off, too many dickheads in the Military as it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    It has been independent for only 14 years (60-74). Then the Turks and Greek came and split it up amongst them.
    Greece does not control the Republic of Cyprus.

Deleted
    The millenials will always be shitheads, whether you put them into the military or not, won't change that fact.

- - - Updated - - -

Greece does not control the Republic of Cyprus.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Cypriot_coup_d'%C3%A9tat

The 1974 Cypriot coup d'état was a military coup d'état by the Cypriot National Guard and the Greek military junta of 1967–1974. On 15 July 1974 the coup plotters ousted President Makarios III and replaced him with pro-Enosis nationalist Nikos Sampson as dictator,[1][2][3] which led to the formation of a regime described as a puppet regime. The aim of the coup was the annexation of the island by Greece[4][5][6] and the coupists proclaimed the establishment of the "Hellenic Republic of Cyprus".

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes...that failed.

Nikos Sampson went to prison for his part in it.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I dunno since I'm not a military person, haven't been in the army or anything, but aren't there support positions that they can take which don't put them in situations where physical ability is an issue?
    and everyone would still be crying sexism, since men and women are 100% equal in all ways, no matter what the situation...at least with today's herd mentality way of thinking.

Deleted
    Miltary types are generally a combination of brutal violent stupidity and docile gimped-out submissive obedience to authority figures however questionable. I don't think the younger generation could learn much from them.

Deleted
    Yes...that failed.

Nikos Sampson went to prison for his part in it.
    Well, the inhabitants are still called greek cypriotes, not just cypriotes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Well, the inhabitants are still called greek cypriotes, not just cypriotes.
    Greek-Cypriot is an ethnicity not a nationality, their nationality is Cypriot.

Deleted
    Greek-Cypriot is an ethnicity not a nationality, their nationality is Cypriot.
    Anyway, it's time to reclaim the Turkish occupied part, after Erdogan's antics it's more than justified for the EU to reclaim it for the "free" part. We should do everything to piss off Turkey.