View Poll Results: Are you afraid of speaking in front of a big audience?!

Voters
64. This poll is closed
  • Yes

39 60.94%
  • No

25 39.06%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I absolutely HATE public speaking. Doesn't matter the size of the crowd and it doesn't matter what the topic is or how knowledgeable I am on it.

So, to put it bluntly- I avoid it as always as possible. When I have to give speeches or do presentations, I get headaches, and can feel myself shivering (even if it's not always noticeable to the audience- and a few times it was), and I stutter badly when I actually do the presentation. That being said, I am not a stressful person. My general anxiety levels are kind of low and I handle pressure situations fine, keep calm and rational in emergency situations, don't get anxious before examinations (I honestly enjoy them) and have no trouble communicating with people in everyday exchanges.

This is quite frustrating, because people constantly try to get me to do them. Probably done over 30 speeches in my lifetime. A modest amount, but enough for me to certainly be familiar with the concept and I don't think doing any more of them will make me any more comfortable. I purposefully choose situations that would allow me to not get involved in them. I want a career where I am responsible for myself and I don't have to address crowds in monologue: what is the point of forcing people to do this so often when they really don't want or need to?

15+ Year Old Account
    I performed in front of many large audiences for years when I had a band and that calmed my fears of public speaking. Now the thought of it no longer bothers me.

If I'm interested in what I'm talking about, try stopping me >.>