Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Best way to make new friends was to LFG/LFM for 5man dungeons back in the days, as well as server-only battlegrounds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Um, no. The two things are not mutually exclusive. Just because Blizzard stopped forcing you to make friends, does not mean you can not make friends.

Everybody can stil make friends. It isn't hard. People just stopped trying to make friends because they are no longer forced to.

Not doing something becaues you chose not to do it is not the same thing as being unable to do something.

Like I said the first time. If you want some friends, go make some. It's called being social. Stop expecting Blizzard to force them upon you.
    You weren't forced to make friends, you were forced to interact with other people. However, this forced interaction would every now and then result in adding to friendlists. That's why it was easier to make friends before, since you had to meet and communicate with people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    Nope, because MMO's are not social games. MMO's are games with a perpetual (online) world and many players in it. The level of interaction varies from person to person and never does it mean you should be social. They are a way to escape reality and play the role of a hero (how much RP do people do in this MMORPG?), not to make friends. You can work together to a common goal (raid) and still not be social. I see no reason to be friends with people I play with. I will be nice, I will chitchat, but I will not be their friend.

I make friends IRL. Well, I don't. But I would if I wanted any friends.
    See no.

MMOs have for the most part always been about working together with other people to get things done. From runescape,wow,ff,wildstar,guildwars,and well hell pretty much all of them are about being a part of and working as a community.

People like you the imma solo play are fairly new to the mmo scene and I see zero value in having anything spent resource wise to accommodate you.

You want to play solo in a mmo? Fine but your game should end with world quests. This whole make everything retard proof is why we will never see a end game as well designed as tbc.

Quote Originally Posted by Redtower View Post
    If you want a single player game why are you playing wow?
    What does a fractious snip like you know what I want or don't want. Get outta here. I can tell you what I'm not playing WoW for: to enjoy the social aspect of talking to the likes of yourself. It's silly enough that I'm doing it right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    What does a fractious snip like you know what I want or don't want. Get outta here. I can tell you what I'm not playing WoW for: to enjoy the social aspect of talking to the likes of yourself. It's silly enough that I'm doing it right now.
    Because it is the honest question you should ask yourself.

If you want to be anti social and never play with anyone fine. I have a friend who is like that but he doesn't play any online games he plays to get away from people.

Single player games will offer you a better experience so why are you playing wow? It isn't some weird crutch to deal with loneliness is it?

Deleted
    there were times when making online friends = being loser

Because it is the honest question you should ask yourself.

If you want to be anti social and never play with anyone fine. I have a friend who is like that but he doesn't play any online games he plays to get away from people.

Single player games will offer you a better experience so why are you playing wow? It isn't some weird crutch to deal with loneliness is it?
    Well look at you. You thought your verbal masturbation would impress me.

In WoW you can do almost everything solo or with auto-grouping queues. So people have no incentive to make friends except for RBG and raids.

This is a very bad design for a MMO. Solo content should be reduced to minimum.

Deleted
    Well look at you. You thought that your verbal masturbation would impress me.
    No but your response proved my point rather well.

Go pick up the witcher.

No but your response proved my point rather well.
    Yeah, I proved rather well why you're an unlikeable weasel that the playerbase at large is happy to avoid and ignore.

Deleted
    Yeah, I proved rather well why you're an unlikeable weasel that the playerbase at large is happy to avoid and ignore.
    You made a whole case for why you dislike social games then went into a fit when asked why you don't play single player games...

I imagine we would never run across each other in game to start with high end raiding and mid range pvp requires more connections then I am willing to bet you are able to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Magnus View Post
    I always find the argument that things have changed so drastically to be a weak one. I always made my friends in a guild after repeated exposure, not from some random PuG or a quick group quest, in fact most of the time people were always quiet no matter how the group was formed if no one knew each other from the start. And yes I've been playing since vanilla. Also true for most of the people I've known, something that's usually very evident if your raid group needs a quick fill and it's usually the same couple of people who search their friends lists.

See, the problem with your argument and nearly everyones is the "I have an easy and/or hard time finding friends" Its really all opinion and server based.

This having to make friends to enjoy a video game is crap. The whole reason video games were invented was so that we could play game without the aid of anyone else.

I don't have 4 friends I can group with who play Video games as much as I do.

Deleted
    After all these years I still can't decide whether it's ridiculously hilarious or ridiculously pathetic when I listen to my irl friends (fellow WoW players), when they are reminiscing about their past "friendships" with people whom they knew only by their in-game names.

The old adage goes, "You get out of something what you put into it." I think that rings pretty true when it comes to socializing within MMO's of any kind. If you don't put yourself out there and try to make friends or connections with the people in and around your game, the forums they have, and fansites than you won't. It's a 2 way street..
    Summon Apollo's fire, with hell and heaven's might. Then with great force attend, the falling of all men.
    Release this captured world, from point of no return. Destruction has no end, unless you ride again.

You made a whole case for why you dislike social games then went into a fit when asked why you don't play single player games...

I imagine we would never run across each other in game to start with high end raiding and mid range pvp requires more connections then I am willing to bet you are able to maintain.
    We would never run acorss each other because my circe of people naturally repels runts and pipsqueaks. It's not the "lack of community", it's just that nobody likes you, face it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    No one forces anyone to not make friends, it's just a weak excuse. People needing to be forced into social interaction probably don't end up with many friends anyhow.
    It is not about forcing, it is about (re-)creating a social facilitating environment.

Deleted

I was in one of the top raiding guilds on my realm during WotLK, and I was in a very decent RBG team during Cata. Never talked to anyone. Just signed up in calendar, did the job, left. If you think people in the top spots care about your social skills above the numbers you pull, you're delusional and you should probably piss off back to Facebook.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by johnyderp View Post
    there were times when making online friends = being loser
    Point being? There were times when incest was considered good.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracens View Post
    The old adage goes, "You get out of something what you put into it." I think that rings pretty true when it comes to socializing within MMO's of any kind.
    That is as true as it is in real life. However, putting yourself out there socially probably will bear more fruit if you do it in a lounge bar or on a friendly coffee terrace in the spring sun rather that in your car on the middle of a busy freeway on a Monday morning commute.