Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I loved him on Family Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    But it's not a duck, anymore than the comodo dragon is a dinosaur.
    Lol, I didn't mean an ape is a duck. The point I'm getting at is the relevancy of a Gorilla now to a Gorilla type creature then.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with Limbaugh. If humans came from apes, there wouldn't still be apes. Until the "Missing Link" is no longer missing, I see no reason to believe the fantasy of evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I guess at a certain point it's just no longer worth discussing the idiotic and/or insane ramblings of a hyperpartisan ideologue who makes a living as clickbait incarnate.
    But that is no fun at all

It's kinda sad the "if humans evolved from monkeys why are there still monkeys?" "counterargument" is still a thing. Then again, it beats "awareness of the primacy of humanity on planet Earth as created by God".

Oh, and True American Patriots True American Patriots True American Patriots. Fite me Celista oO
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    A lettuce is like a distant cousin, very distant, so we could not have come from a lettuce.

Both us and a lettuce came from the same thing, but a very long time ago.
    Yeah, this right here. Humans and lettuce share a common ancestor from a real long time ago.

It's called the "THEORY" of Evolution for a reason.

In other words, it's not proven.

It won't ever be either, because it didn't happen. GG no RE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    No, it wasn't. It was a synapsid. Dinosaurs, like all reptiles, were sauropsids.

While it wasn't a direct ancestor of mammals, it was in the same clade. In fact, we're synapsids too. Every extant mammal on Earth is a synapsid.

Dimetrodon is a famous example of what are sometimes referred to as 'proto-mammals'.
    Yeah I looked it up while I was waiting for you to respond. Awesome to learn something new. I remember learning about Dimetrodon in first grade and in my giant book of dinorsaurs I had as a 6 year old, but I don't recall it ever mentioning that they aren't dinosaurs, or indeed, even living in the same era as dinosaurs or of the same clade.

Cool to learn. Other positives I discovered on this little edifying adventure were these little guys:

Cutest lizard ever.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseus View Post
    Lol, I didn't mean an ape is a duck. The point I'm getting at is the relevancy of a Gorilla now to a Gorilla type creature then.
    You familiar with the "Tree of Life"?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation.

Do not confuse this term for the colloquial usage of the word "theory", which is more in line with "an educated guess."

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I agree with Limbaugh. If humans came from apes, there wouldn't still be apes. Until the "Missing Link" is no longer missing, I see no reason to believe the fantasy of evolution.
    Evolution also agrees with Limbaugh..in the sense that humanity didn't come from Apes. We share a common ancestor with apes.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2016-06-01 at 09:33 PM.

How so is that? Your interpretation of what a creature may have been != what the creature was. Have you ever heard the idiom "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."
    It's inaccurate because the organisms we share common ancestry with have evolved just as much as we have since our inheritance paths diverged. They are no longer what we evolved from just as we aren't what we evolved from. Yes, we've heard the idiom, and it's stupid to use it in this context.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no such thing as the missing link, there are lots of links, some we have, some we do not.

Effectively every creature is a missing link, unless the species become extinct suddenly.

A "gorilla type creature" is still not a gorilla. So it is unreasonable to call it a gorilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yeah I looked it up while I was waiting for you to respond. Awesome to learn something new. I remember learning about Dimetrodon in first grade and in my giant book of dinorsaurs I had as a 6 year old, but I don't recall it ever mentioning that they aren't dinosaurs, or indeed, even living in the same era as dinosaurs or of the same clade.

Cool to learn. Other positives I discovered on this little edifying adventure were these little guys:

Cutest lizard ever.
    Yeah, dimetrodon went extinct about 40 million years before the first dinosaurs. It lived during the Permian period, and died off about half way through it; the first dinosaurs didn't exist until the Triassic period.

And that thing is cool looking. Now my wife wants one, lol.

Every single fossil that you can't find is a missing link. That means if your great great great parents remains are gone, they become a missing link.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation.

Do not confuse this term for the colloquial usage of the word "theory", which is more in line with "an educated guess."
    Round about all you want, it's not proven.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    There is no such thing as the missing link, there are lots of links, some we have, some we do not.
    We have no missing links... because, by definition, they are missing.

Except, you're talking about gorillas as if they existed then. They didn't.

We share a common ancestor; its name was Nakalipithecus.
    We come from Nakalipithecus. So do gorillas. That's it. There's no debate here.
    Luckily science doesn't even hold true to this being absolute. I couldn't find any article claiming this when googling even. I do however find many stating this could possibly be somewhere we came from, with a wikipedia link with comments like
    The authors argue that many of the basic human adaptations evolved in the ancient forest and woodland ecosystems of late Miocene and early Pliocene Africa. Consequently, they argue that humans may not represent evolution from a chimpanzee-like ancestor as has traditionally been supposed. This suggests many modern human adaptations represent phylogenetically deep traits and that the behavior and morphology of chimpanzees may have evolved subsequent to the split with the common ancestor they share with humans.
    when Nakalipithecus was believed to been our ancestors Gorilla > then Chimp > then Humans came from.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post

When you can provide a theoretic model that more closely models the evidence we can see in the world, let us know and collect your Nobel Prize. In the meantime, evolution is the best model we've come up with. Just like gravity is the best model we have currently for how our solar system works, why we have days and seasons and all sorts of other things. Yet people don't spend much time anymore trying to claim that the Theory of Gravity isn't true.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!