Thread: Man Cave Ideas

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Man Cave Ideas

So my house will close in about 3 weeks and I'll be making a substantial amount from it.

That being said the wife and I are either looking to build or just buy a nice house that's ready to go (she's finicky about what she wants).

The only request I have is that it has a den/office.

What I would like from you guys is to see any pics or get suggestions for a legit man cave. Especially if you already have a nice man cave.

I'm going to have my computer in there and a wall dedicated to my 600ish books (I've read them all. Most of them twice.). Other than that I'm open to ideas/suggestions you guys have.

Thanks for your time!

Edit: Good point Faroth. I'm a gamer and have a YouTube channel based on my time in the Corps. So anything game/military related is cool.

I watch sports but don't care to decorate after them.

Big into fantasy (hence my love for wow and similar titles).
    Last edited by TwoNineMarine; 2016-06-02 at 01:14 PM.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Impossible to design without knowing your interests and what you'd like it focused on.

Some wants sports, some want a game room, some want a library.

It sounds like you'd go game room/library combo, but still... what type of books are your 600ish books? What's your PC gaming focus?

Deleted
    A man cave/den is for men that lost control over their own house.
    It basically means that your women decides how the rest of house will be decorated.

Believe it or not, I've read an entire book about this once.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    It basically means that your women decides how the rest of house will be decorated.

A lot of men just don't really care about the home decor as much as women do. I think that's a big reason a lot of men take a man cave, or the garage, and let their wife do whatever she wants to decorate the house.

This also frustrates a lot of women when they ask about a decorating idea and the men are like "I don't care" because they legit do not care about home decorating.

Purple curtains and red sofa atleast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account

I don't care how the rest of the house is decorated really. My wife is gonna go part time so she can spend more time with our boys. So if she wants the inside her way I don't mind in the slightest. I'll rock my man cave and the outside (garden, hottub, etc)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Purple curtains and red sofa atleast
    =D

/10char
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Deleted

Take the words of Karl Marx himself and don't believe everything you read in a book ;] It's pretty normal to have a study/office for yourself while the rest of the house is for kids, guests or w/e - if you can afford it, ofc. Or would you say that a woman's private boudoir is a sign of lost control? ;P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    A lot of men just don't really care about the home decor as much as women do. I think that's a big reason a lot of men take a man cave, or the garage, and let their wife do whatever she wants to decorate the house.

This also frustrates a lot of women when they ask about a decorating idea and the men are like "I don't care" because they legit do not care about home decorating.
    It basically comes down to male and female tastes are completely different.

Why dont you put your lady in a womens-cave instead?

This may be true, but i have no problem with it. If it makes my wife happy to decorate her home, I'm cool with it. As long as i have my space, i'm good.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a sign on the door to enter my man cave room which says in bright red lettering, " WARNING. Controlled area. It is unlawful to enter this
    area without permission." Of course my wife ignores it. :P

But basically put what you want up on the walls and keep whatever is legal of course in it. And tell others it is off limits to any unapproved changes and complaints about what is in it will be ignored.

Deleted

And then put a man cave in the womens cave for caveception.

I imagine because, again, most men don't care about the house's decor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fibby76 View Post
    This may be true, but i have no problem with it. If it makes my wife happy to decorate her home, I'm cool with it. As long as i have my space, i'm good.
    Exactly! That's how I view it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Edit: Good point Faroth. I'm a gamer and have a YouTube channel based on my time in the Corps. So anything game/military related is cool.

I watch sports but don't care to decorate after them.

Big into fantasy (hence my love for wow and similar titles).
    If you're so inclined price-wise, I'd get a sword on the wall. With the fantasy vibe, you could get Anduril from Lord of the Rings (I feel it's the most striking visually without being overboard) or the Frostmourne replica. If you check and prowl eBay you can get the knock off versions for fairly cheap (they're just going on the wall, so they don't need to be the licensed official replicas.....which would also just go on the wall). Just pay attention to their listed length/size so you don't get a letter opener.

Pick a favorite game and find some artwork of it, size is your choice, and put that framed on a wall.

I'd also consider a floating wall shelf apart from your main bookshelves and put that up with your favorite series on it so it's displayed separate from all the other books. If you can get some cool fantasy or military related bookends for it, they could look cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I have a sign on the door to enter my man cave room which says in bright red lettering, " WARNING. Controlled area. It is unlawful to enter this
    area without permission." Of course my wife ignores it. :P

But basically put what you want up on the walls and keep whatever is legal of course in it. And tell others it is off limits to any unapproved changes and complaints about what is in it will be ignored.
    My wife would ignore it as well. Lol.

The hard part will be keeping my boys from destroying everything haha

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    My wife would ignore it as well. Lol.

The hard part will be keeping my boys from destroying everything haha
    Combination locks ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I lived in my house for years with nothing hanging on the wall other than a clock lol, I let her decorate it however she wanted as long as it didn't look like my grandmother lived there. I did finally hanging something of my own on the wall, when she bought me a frostmourn...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I did finally hanging something of my own on the wall, when she bought me a frostmourne...
    Best wife ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're so inclined price-wise, I'd get a sword on the wall. With the fantasy vibe, you could get Anduril from Lord of the Rings (I feel it's the most striking visually without being overboard) or the Frostmourne replica. If you check and prowl eBay you can get the knock off versions for fairly cheap (they're just going on the wall, so they don't need to be the licensed official replicas.....which would also just go on the wall). Just pay attention to their listed length/size so you don't get a letter opener.

Pick a favorite game and find some artwork of it, size is your choice, and put that framed on a wall.

I'd also consider a floating wall shelf apart from your main bookshelves and put that up with your favorite series on it so it's displayed separate from all the other books. If you can get some cool fantasy or military related bookends for it, they could look cool.
    Ah man those are excellent ideas! I definitely love the sword idea. That would look so great if I could do it properly.

- - - Updated - - -

Combination locks ^^
    Hell yeah!!

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Combination locks ^^
    Only way it would work in my case is if I gave the key or combination to the lock to my wife. She gives me the space for myself, which I feel is the right thing for her too. But there is no way I can truly isolate myself from her in it. Or do I even want to that extent. She will walk in it and complain about the dust, but basically does not say much about how it is decorated.

But to keep kids out, I have no issues with a lock on the door to my room. Which if we have kids visit, I do secure the room since I have weapons of all kinds in there. Swords, daggers, handguns, rifles and ammo, etc. And other decorative stuff they may damage or break. So having a means to secure a man cave is a good thing.