Poll: Is your family pet's life worth more to you then a strangers?

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ...
    don't have a pet but if i did i'm sure i'd value it more than a complete stranger.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people here hate humans. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    A lot of people here hate humans. WTF?
    Saving your pet over a stranger is not the same as hating humans. I try to be helpful to other people irl whenever I can, even people I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

So on the one hand I have a stranger I have no ties to, and the other I have my dog which is my responsibility, under my protection, that I have a bond with. I can't help but ask myself what kind of a human would I be if I didn't protect those I'm responsible for?

As to answering the actual question, I have to be there to know, I guess. I've had many different types of pets, when I was younger they were family pets, and I can't think I would value a family turtle or rabbit we only had for a few months over another human.

However, I've had my current dog for 8 years now, we have grown and adapted to each other in a way I didn't think man and beast could, with our own unique verbal and silent language. We just... get each other. But if the choice was a human baby I'd probably do some cold hard math on years left to live, as I would hope a stranger would do if they had to pick me, a grown man, or a baby.

And that cold hard math would tell me to let a human baby die to save an endangered adult gorilla, assuming no personal ties to neither, as much as it would pain me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    It is quite funny to see some one thinking so highly of them self's.

You are an animal just because you have climbed just a bit more on the evolutionary ladder doesn't mean you are worth more then the dog next door in the grand scheme of things.

You sir suffer from the superiority complex that most of humans do.
    It will be the end of us as a race/animal one day as much as it was for other higher evolved creatures before us.
    Yes it does. WTF is this nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

You eat animals and not people, you have already chosen which is more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddysmind View Post
    You eat animals and not people, you have already chosen which is more valuable.
    The problem with this argument is that there are people that eat neither, and people that eat both.

It goes much further than if you eat meat or not.

When you have a pet that stays with you for an extended period of time a bond is formed, you come to love it as family.
    The pet is always there.

Personally if you're threatening my animal than yes I will kill you, because you have already made intent to commit a felony by attacking my animal.
    You are actively trying to end my pets life so yes I will end yours first.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Incorrect comparison.

When my life is in danger, I totally expect random stranger to totally not care, because if I am in the stranger's position, I wouldn't either.

However when it comes to police it is different, because it is their job, what they got paid for. If I am a police, I would care, because I am paid to care, that is what put roof over my head and food on my table.
    Still they are strangers, and there are laws in place that would cause you to go to jail for failing to aid the stranger. So you are a stranger to me, why should i respect or care for anything you say in the first place? You care nothing for others and are fooling yourself otherwise. No one needs to come to your aid in the animal kingdom, so we decide to change that, in no way should we resort to what we progress from, we are only greater because we can put aside petty differences with strangers and make communities and society that needs us to care for each other, to pay for taxes, and to just fucking feel safe. If we can't make each other safe, then animals will die in our wars. Only when we fix ourselves and practice true compassion for the human animal can we save even more animals in the process, otherwise we are just going to bash each other the head with keyboards.

Yes. It's not my problem if some random dude dies. There's a good chance he was an asshole or a dumbass anyways.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by Stasso View Post
    Still they are strangers, and there are laws in place that would cause you to go to jail for failing to aid the stranger.
    Really?
    What country is this?
    Surely not in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still they are strangers, and there are laws in place that would cause you to go to jail for failing to aid the stranger. So you are a stranger to me, why should i respect or care for anything you say in the first place? You care nothing for others and are fooling yourself otherwise. No one needs to come to your aid in the animal kingdom, so we decide to change that, in no way should we resort to what we progress from, we are only greater because we can put aside petty differences with strangers and make communities and society that needs us to care for each other, to pay for taxes, and to just fucking feel safe. If we can't make each other safe, then animals will die in our wars.
    If they want to exclude me from police aid, that is perfect fine as long as I can also be excluded from tax payment.

I don't mind not getting a service as long as I don't have to pay for it.

And most countries that say you need to aid a stranger, cannot really uphold that in court, because in order to prove someone guilty in the UK Law you need to be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt, and there are waaaaay too easy to bypass with "I didn't know he was having a heart attack", unless you can get into my head, you cannot prove that I know, let along prove pass "reasonable doubt".

That is also why many financial crime the person get fined for their civil charge (so just pay for the damage they caused), but not the criminal charge, because they cannot prove it beyond reasonable doubt.

Only when we fix ourselves and practice true compassion for the human animal can we save even more animals in the process, otherwise we are just going to bash each other the head with keyboards.
    Actually I don't care about animals either (which should have been made clear, my apology if it weren't).

I care about anything (can even be object) that I see value in over a stranger. Heck I would value my computer over a stranger. It is all about what value you see in the target, value for me of course, but then if I am to judge, of course I would see it in my point of view, I understand everyone value things differently, you just have to accept that I value things different to you. If I ask you how you value stranger vs a computer, I won't expect you value them the same way, but I also won't go "you are wrong you must value them the way I do!".

What does a stranger add to me? Nothing. A computer at least give me entertainment. Therefore I value the computer over the stranger.
    Last edited by Grym; 2016-06-05 at 01:32 AM.