Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know who he was so he obviously wasn't that important.

Best of luck in whatever he's doing next, though.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Wait... what?
    I've been waiting for this a long time

>Puts the soundtrack of Star Wars Ep.1 "Augie's Great Municipal Band" and dance like Carlton Happy

"F%&#k that Loser"

Should have been fired for the travesty that was Diablo 3's release state.

I don't know why game devs announce their retirement / moves to a different company / whatever so much. It's annoying.

"Hi, I am Jay Wilson, I am leaving." - Hi, Jay Wilson, I don't really know what you are good for, but since you feel like we all should be aware of your status and all I have to go with is your awful quote regarding PVP in D3 (and it is damn awful, Jay), I am going to say "good riddance". Don't let the door hit you, etc.

Strikes me as odd that he would quit to pursue writing. I mean, that can be done pretty easily during breaks, on lunch, or just whenever you have free time. Hope he thought things through, because if his books sucks, he just quit a very good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Strikes me as odd that he would quit to pursue writing. I mean, that can be done pretty easily during breaks, on lunch, or just whenever you have free time. Hope he thought things through, because if his books sucks, he just quit a very good job.
    Best guess if you assume he is being honest is he wants to invest full time to it. Best guess if you think he isn't being honest is that it's a lie.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Good news for the game industry.

Insert tin foil hat, but when he left the Diablo team things seemed to go around, and when he joined the Warcraft team things seem to go down...While the whole blame isn't set on him for decisions, but he was the director for D3, and a designer for WoW. Plus the guy was a pretty big ass to the Torchlight dev team (which some were former co-workers). So I'm "eh" on the whole thing. More power to him though for doing what he feels he wants to do, but gaming wise I'll remember him for doing work on Dawn of War (which I love) and the botched job on D3 at release, that's about it.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    If the videogame industry was a person it would be throwing a 48 hour champagne party right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    No instead he "insulted the players" by saying "Get good"
    The real problem with that wasn't putative insult, it was that it showed an incompatibility between what he wanted and what the players would put up with. He could have been the most polite person in the history of the world and it wouldn't have helped.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    There's little to discuss about that although he was responsible for probably the single greatest combat engine ever.
    Sorry Lisa, but i got lost here, what combat engine are you talking about?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    The RMAH was a stupid piece of crap it promoted an unhealthy economy of overpriced shite. At this point I'm gonna just stop taking you seriously.
    Nope, that was because the drop rate was stupid low.
    RMAH with the way loot works after ROS would not have been a problem at all, in fact it would encourage people to look for uber good RNG wise legendaries to sell, if loot would not had been made soulbound of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    It was an interesting idea, but it did seem to have a big impact on how people played the game. It was also held up as an excuse for the always online bullshit that eventually drove me to finding a cracked version.
    It was an interesting idea that was sabotaged by an infamous loot drop rate.
    Again the RMAH with the drop rate D3 has nowadays would be a totally different story

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    No instead he "insulted the players" by saying "Get good"
    When a player is bad, or better it is not using the toolkit the game handles him/her to play, is it an insult telling him to learn how to play the game?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The real problem with that wasn't putative insult, it was that it showed an incompatibility between what he wanted and what the players would put up with. He could have been the most polite person in the history of the world and it wouldn't have helped.
    And the solution to that incompatibility would not be the player adapting to the game or leaving?
    I would dare say all games have that incompatibility, if not in terms of difficulty, yes in any other aspect like lore, storytelling, gameplay.
    So why do not players simply leave that game, and look for another one more tailored to their tastes?
    Honestly being a game designer nowadays seems like a terrible job compared to how it was 20 years ago, and specially if you are part of the wow team it must be hell on earth.
    Last edited by mmoccf1d2005b5; 2016-06-07 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryla View Post
    And the solution to that incompatibility would not be the player adapting to the game or leaving?
    No, that would have been no solution at all, from Blizzard's point of view. The purpose of the game is to make money, not to stick to a vision regardless of consequences.

I would dare say all games have that incompatibility, if not in terms of difficulty, yes in any other aspect like lore, storytelling, gameplay. So why do not players simply leave that game, and look for another one more tailored to their tastes?
    Players are more willing to quit over certain things and less over others. These quirks cannot be gainsaid by developers (armchair or otherwise) just because one doesn't like or understand them. It's the game developers' job to work within the boundary conditions of player preferences. GC found he didn't want to do that with WoW (his "grandmothers" comment) and found a position elsewhere more compatible with his own preferences.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2016-06-07 at 01:16 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

10+ Year Old Account
    When a player is bad, or better it is not using the toolkit the game handles him/her to play, is it an insult telling him to learn how to play the game?
    Oh I am with GC on the get better, but there was a HUGE uproar on these forums about how GC is an asshole, he hurt my feelings and so on and so forth, Jay Wilson is the new Ghostcrawler...........someone to blame who will be replaced with a new person to blame.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Deleted
    GC found he didn't want to do that with WoW (his "grandmothers" comment) and found a position elsewhere more compatible with his own preferences.
    Well then it was a smart decission.

Well then it was a smart decission.
    Yes, and one worthy of respect.

Deleted
    The purpose of the game is to make money, not to stick to a vision regardless of consequences.
    Yes but there are some games there that do both, besides in this monster that is wow not sticking to a particular vision does not look as a winning strategy, although i admit this is also true for the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good. Now if we can just get rid of celestalon and company blizzard might be able to get back on track.

Overwatch is fantastic, guess who's leading that team.... Old WoW devs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    More trouble in Camelot.

Sooner or later there won't be enough influential people at Blizzard for it to remain "Activision-Blizzard" and continue to function "autonomously" and Blizzard games will become just like the rest of the disposable titles Activision mass produces.
    Sky is falling. More at 11

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry Lisa, but i got lost here, what combat engine are you talking about?
    Combat engine for D3. Which is still pretty marvelous to this day and has been the game's major saving grace from the start. Wilson may have gotten a lot of other stuff wrong but the combat engine is about the best I've seen given how much it has to do and how it goes about doing it.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

What made diablo terrible? was it because people used it to make money on the AH or something?