Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Well one cant really worship Reagan and then simultaneously go for someone Reagan wouldnt have gone for. Kinda contradictory, or at least makes their Reaganism insincere.

and a kid / step kid (that wasnt on bad terms with their folks) is highly likely to know the beliefs of their parents so..

If you dont suffer from Reagan worship syndrome, then this shouldnt mean much.
    I dunno, I don't consider it Reagan worship to consider him such a superb president. I would consider that reality. People who realize that reality aren't therefore obligated to wear WWRD bracelets and not forsake anything that the adopted son of Reagan says Reagan would do. Even if Reagan would prefer to vote for somebody else, the real question is what he would actually end up doing; voting for Trump, voting for Hillary or not voting at all, because those are the only real choices.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    Doesn't it mean the same thing?
    No. A stepson you get through marriage. Nancy Reagan is Michael's Stepmom.

10+ Year Old Account
    A step kid is a pre-existing kid of one of the married people. adopted kid means the parents got him from an adoption center rather than marriage

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Wow, mark the occasion on your calendars everyone. I was right about something.
    You're not as bad as people give you shit for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well one cant really worship Reagan and then simultaneously go for someone Reagan wouldnt have gone for. Kinda contradictory, or at least makes their Reaganism insincere.

and a kid / step kid (that wasnt on bad terms with their folks) is highly likely to know the beliefs of their parents so..

If you dont suffer from Reagan worship syndrome, then this shouldnt mean much.
    Oh, I don't. A good half of the reason I'm excited about Trump is because, if nothing else, his nomination is a repudiation of both Bush and Reagan Republicanism. The fact that other Republicans seem to be cyberbullying Michael Reagan seems to be a good sign. We might finally be past that!

I'm really just baffled that he feels like he has enough sway to warrant such a comment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Oh, I don't. A good half of the reason I'm excited about Trump is because, if nothing else, his nomination is a repudiation of both Bush and Reagan Republicanism. The fact that other Republicans seem to be cyberbullying Michael Reagan seems to be a good sign. We might finally be past that!

I'm really just baffled that he feels like he has enough sway to warrant such a comment.
    Not yet. Not when the Nancy Reagan thing is so fresh.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    No. A stepson you get through marriage. Nancy Reagan is Michael's Stepmom.
    Well shit.

Learned something new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not yet. Not when the Nancy Reagan thing is so fresh.
    One day the GOP will go back to being a proper Right-Wing Party...

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, I don't consider it Reagan worship to consider him such a superb president. I would consider that reality. People who realize that reality aren't therefore obligated to wear WWRD bracelets and not forsake anything that the adopted son of Reagan says Reagan would do. Even if Reagan would prefer to vote for somebody else, the real question is what he would actually end up doing; voting for Trump, voting for Hillary or not voting at all, because those are the only real choices.
    Well it gets into worship when you dont recognise any of the bad things he did, or insist he was more conservative than he actually was, or you mark EVERY SINGLE OCCASION INVOLVING A REAGAN.

Also if I were to guess, and this is basically because of Bush Sr's stance too as he was his VP, Id think he would not vote at all. Different generation, different values, different approach to Republicanism.

- - - Updated - - -

One day the GOP will go back to being a proper Right-Wing Party...
    Go back to? When was it before now? They were traditionally a bit more to the left than now.

No. Not even remotely the same thing. Step-son = My wife had a kid before we got together. Adopted son = This child is now my own. Step-son can become an adopted son if gone through the adoption process, but that's not common at all.

Well it gets into worship when you dont recognise any of the bad things he did, or insist he was more conservative than he actually was, or you mark EVERY SINGLE OCCASION INVOLVING A REAGAN.

Also if I were to guess, and this is basically because of Bush Sr's stance too as he was his VP, Id think he would not vote at all. Different generation, different values, different approach to Republicanism.
    I guess it all really boils down to the question that everyone of voting age has been asking themselves for a few years now; do I vote for the less bad nomination, or not vote at all? People don't like the feeling that they voted for somebody they don't like, but the alternative is not voting for them and contributing (albeit probably futility) to the victory of the more bad person.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Are we supposed to dump Trump because a terribly overrated President's son said so?
    No, you were suposed to dump Dump because of common sense months ago. The Terribly overrated Presiden'ts son's comments are just the latest piece of frosting that is a shitstorm of reasons to dump Donald Dump.

Way to invoke your dead stepfathers name in order to drum up controversy in an attempt to try to stay relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    No, you were suposed to dump Dump because of common sense months ago. The Terribly overrated Presiden'ts son's comments are just the latest piece of frosting that is a shitstorm of reasons to dump Donald Dump.
    People have been trying to. Unfortunately the last real alternative has dropped out of the face so now we are stuck with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    No. Not even remotely the same thing. Step-son = My wife had a kid before we got together. Adopted son = This child is now my own. Step-son can become an adopted son if gone through the adoption process, but that's not common at all.
    Not to derail the topic but that's pretty awesome if I'm reading this right and you adopted your step-son. Many folks balk at making a choice to raise a child not theirs by blood so going above and beyond as a parent like that is awesome. Kudos to you!

10+ Year Old Account
    Go back to? When was it before now? They were traditionally a bit more to the left than now.
    I'm fine with going to the left (center right) in certain aspects, a fiscal and environmental policy shift is long overdue. They don't have to become Dem-lite; however, on both of the issues listed before, I'd much prefer the "Teddy Roosevelt" approach.

By proper Right-Wing, I meant go the route of guys like Trump and Pat Buchanan. Anything to get rid of the current mantra of "invade the world, invite the world."

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it all really boils down to the question that everyone of voting age has been asking themselves for a few years now; do I vote for the less bad nomination, or not vote at all? People don't like the feeling that they voted for somebody they don't like, but the alternative is not voting for them and contributing (albeit probably futility) to the victory of the more bad person.
    People should do what their unconscious tells them too, although I'll always heavily disagree with people that vote just to spite others (aka screw the poeple that voted for a candidate in my party I dont like!). I dont think spite belongs in politics.

For me, I dont quite have the confusion that I know a lot of the non Trump are having, so I'll vote who better represents my values.

Not sure what difference it makes who said it and how they were related to Reagan. It doesn't make it any less true. If you were alive during Reagan's terms and witnessed what the Republican party was then compared to now, you'd know that what he said is absolutely true and no amount of misdirection and spin is going to change it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Slow down there, you're not as witty as John Oliver. Drumpf still takes the cake xDxDxDxD

I'm fine with going to the left (center right) in certain aspects, a fiscal and environmental policy shift is long overdue. They don't have to become Dem-lite; however, on both of the issues listed before, I'd much prefer the "Teddy Roosevelt" approach.

By proper Right-Wing, I meant go the route of guys like Trump and Pat Buchanan. Anything to get rid of the current mantra of "invade the world, invite the world."
    Pat Buchanan??? Isolationism is never going to work with the world's economies tied so closely to each other. Hell sometimes I think the world economy is one of the single largest reasons we haven't had another major world war in so long. No one can afford to.

Also, as far as proper right wing. What exactly is that? I'm not sure that people like Trump and Buchanan have ever represented anything but isolationist nationalism. If that's what you want, great but I think you may be one of the few that considers that 'proper' right wing.