Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Harry potter and the cursed child **spoiler warning**

if you want to avoid spoilers, avoid thread now!

what is up with this play? is this supposed to be canon?
    i'v been reading up a bunch of spoilers from facebook and it seems like the whole story is about time travel and the time turner thing from prisoner of azkaban?
    WTF? dont people know that unless your story is about time travel dont put time travel in your goddamn story? 99.99% of the time is gonna be rubbish. i hate time travel in my series, and to top it off it sounds like something out of back to the future 2, harry and malfoy kid take the time turner and screw up history to try and save diggory, what? why hasn't the ministry ban that crap? and how the hell can kids get inside the ministry and why would harry have one of those things in his office? theres so much that doesn't make any sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, it's canon.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

time travel is already in your series

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    if you want to avoid spoilers, avoid thread now!

what is up with this play? is this supposed to be canon?
    Yes.

i'v been reading up a bunch of spoilers from facebook and it seems like the whole story is about time travel and the time turner thing from prisoner of azkaban?
    Just thought i'd seperate this. You'll see why.

WTF? dont people know that unless your story is about time travel dont put time travel in your goddamn story? 99.99% of the time is gonna be rubbish. i hate time travel in my series, and to top it off it sounds like something out of back to the future 2, harry and malfoy kid take the time turner and screw up history to try and save diggory, what? why hasn't the ministry ban that crap? and how the hell can kids get inside the ministry and why would harry have one of those things in his office? theres so much that doesn't make any sense.
    Time Travel isn't being introduced into the Harry Potter universe in this story, it already exists wthin the universe, in the Prisoner of Azkaban, as you stated already.

3 kids already infiltrated the Ministry in one of the previous books as well, so its not out of the question. And as for why Harry has one, this is a series in which the ability to time travel is entrusted to a teenage girl, I don't think they particularly care about handing them out to adults.

I've got my tickets for 2 weekends from now, so i'll pop back in with my thoughts after i've seen it. I'm not going to pass judgement based on spoilers from Facebook.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hope they will film and release the play for those of us who will never get the opportunity to travel and see it live.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    I hope they will film and release the play for those of us who will never get the opportunity to travel and see it live.
    Or just release a novelization.

Come to think of it, when hermione was given the time watch so she could essentially create multiple time clones of herself to study more subjects in the year is completely fucked and unmoral but w/e its a kids book and it was awesome at the time <3

Would watch the play if it ever comes to my country, doubt it.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the time turners were destroyed though.

This is just Space Balls 2 the Search for More Money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    All the time turners were destroyed though.

This is just Space Balls 2 the Search for More Money.
    All MINISTRY time turners were destroyed, but more could exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    Just watch, soon enough there will be HP #9 where it turns out not all Voldermorts horcruxes were found and the limbo he was stuck in is literally just that - he`s stuck because not all of them were destroyed.
    Last edited by Paklaaji; 2016-06-10 at 08:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh I stopped caring what Rowling said when she said Dumbledore was gay and Hermionie was black to get SJW points despite what her books show.

Meh I stopped caring what Rowling said when she said Dumbledore was gay and Hermionie was black to get SJW points despite what her books show.
    Dumbledore is clearly gay in the books. If you think his relationship with Grindlewald was professional only, I have a bridge to sell you. As far as Hermione being black, that's just casting choice. If the part of Harry was offered to a black dude, I wouldn't care much either, as long as the guy acted well. All of the crew members of the Nostromo in Alien were written with gender neutral last names, and Ridley Scott cast who he wanted to for the roles, some of which were women, and men. Yes, I get the appearances of the kids are described in detail in the books, but it's just a play. It's not gonna ruin anyone's day if Hermione is black.
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

And with the inclusion of time travel, my interest raises from "none" to "some".

10+ Year Old Account
    Dumbledore is clearly gay in the books. If you think his relationship with Grindlewald was professional only, I have a bridge to sell you. As far as Hermione being black, that's just casting choice. If the part of Harry was offered to a black dude, I wouldn't care much either, as long as the guy acted well. All of the crew members of the Nostromo in Alien were written with gender neutral last names, and Ridley Scott cast who he wanted to for the roles, some of which were women, and men. Yes, I get the appearances of the kids are described in detail in the books, but it's just a play. It's not gonna ruin anyone's day if Hermione is black.
    The books don't not paint him as gay there was some debate because the last book but it wasn't clear. Rowling said he was but by then the last book had been out for over a year. Also in Sorcerers Stone he clearly had the hots for the school nurse now he may swing both ways but he showed an attraction to Madam Pomfrey long before Rowling came out with her statement.

I don't mind the play casting I do mind Rowling saying "Oh I never said she wasn't black" when the books and her own illustrations clearly show shes not.

The books don't not paint him as gay there was some debate because the last book but it wasn't clear. Rowling said he was but by then the last book had been out for over a year. Also in Sorcerers Stone he clearly had the hots for the school nurse now he may swing both ways but he showed an attraction to Madam Pomfrey long before Rowling came out with her statement.

I don't mind the play casting I do mind Rowling saying "Oh I never said she wasn't black" when the books and her own illustrations clearly show shes not.
    Good points. I feel her characterization of Dumbledore in earlier stories was of a kindly old man with a bit of a lecherous side. He very well might be bi, and it doesn't matter to me either way. Also if you're talking about Pomfrey complimenting his earmuffs, remember that by this time in the story, Dumbledore is a humbled man, not trusting of his own judgement and powers. Someone complimenting something that is seemingly mundane to him would be new, because he's probably had an endless stream of admirers about his exploits in his life.

Which emphasizes that she once stated that she saw herself as Hermione.

IIRC she said he was gay before the last book was released.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If this is true I'll give I doubt I'll be paying more attention to the story and I'll just spoil everything for myself when the plot is dumped on wikipedia. I really do not like time travel, and it's a very annoying narrative device that's hard to pull off well.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

I find myself surprised that anyone complaining about Harry Potter and time travel didn't know anything about the third book or even the third movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I find myself surprised that anyone complaining about Harry Potter and time travel didn't know anything about the third book or even the third movie.
    the third book, at least for me, is like the black sheep of the books. the movie was pretty cool but the time travel ruins it.

and also another big issue is that according to some spoilers from the play harry's scar begins to hurt again and according to the books, or at least from what i understood, it was because harry was a horcrux so once they got rid of it he should get anymore weird voldemort radio signals.