Thread: Obama Legacy

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    How so? It's comparing our GDP growth to similar countries. The economy is much more global than it ever been, obviously. It's important to keep things in perspective.
    Sure it's good to keep things in perspective, but it's a very uncommon measure to use, and it doesn't really indicate that our growth was good, just that it wasn't as bad as the growth of other nations, who went through a far longer more protracted and deeper economic crisis than we did (which probably affected our growth rate as well).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    If the minimum wage increased with inflation, not just during Obama's term, those numbers would be considerably closer to the projected. The stock market has sky rocketed during the Obama's presidancy. Yet, the pay for workers had been stagnant. Perhaps, just perhaps, the GOP refusal to cut taxes on the middle class, without cuts to the top, isn't working. Perhaps, just perhaps, the GOP reliance on trickle down economics, isn't trickling down. Perhaps, just perhaps, giving workers more negotiating power would solve the corporate race to the bottom.
    Minimum wage increases shouldn't affect the median.

I agree supply side economics don't work though, unless you're actually in an economy that lacks available investment capital. The US is lousy with massive surpluses in investment capital, though, and is far more in need of demand side growth.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    Thanks to who I might ask? House Speaker Newt Gingrich
    Then the current issues are the result of Mitch McConnel? Or are we in the land of giving credit to a republican closest to the presidancy for the good times, then blaming a democrat closest to the presidancy during bad times? The GOP didn't lose control of federal government when Clinton left, yet the deficit spiked almost immidietly. If what you are saying were true, there wouldn't have been the drastic spike when he left office.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Sure it's good to keep things in perspective, but it's a very uncommon measure to use, and it doesn't really indicate that our growth was good, just that it wasn't as bad as the growth of other nations, who went through a far longer more protracted and deeper economic crisis than we did (which probably affected our growth rate as well).
    Very true. Perception when deception is used, is a strong political tool. But the median family income ( with inflation adjustment ) is lower than it was 15 years ago. That is not something which can be twisted by political deception. American's have less money per family to spend now than they did 15 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Minimum wage increases shouldn't affect the median.
    But, it does. The median would have shifted up words, because the differance between bottom and top would be narrower.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Then the current issues are the result of Mitch McConnel? Or are we in the land of giving credit to a republican closest to the presidancy for the good times, then blaming a democrat closest to the presidancy during bad times? The GOP didn't lose control of federal government when Clinton left, yet the deficit spiked almost immidietly. If what you are saying were true, there wouldn't have been the drastic spike when he left office.
    there is a tendency for people to blame (or credit) the president when their party has the white house and to blame (or credit) congress when their party isn't.

The reality tends to be more nuanced.

Either way people really need to get a better understanding of what is actually within the president's authority. You, in general, can give very little to the president directly. Gay marriage - Supreme Court. Budget deficit reduction -- Congress (budgets).

But, then, this would have to be applied to prior administrations as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Very true. Perception when deception is used, is a strong political tool. But the medium family income ( with inflation adjustment ) is lower than it was 15 years ago. That is not something which can be twisted by political deception. American's have less money per family to spend now than they did 15 years ago.
    No, middle class Americans have less money. The top has seen as steady increase. Trickle down doesn't work...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    ACA
    Bin ladan
    gay marriage
    greatest do nothing congress in history
    1) Collosal failure.
    2) Planning that began during Bush. Only to do nothing when ISIS rose to power.
    3) Only because he's secretly gay himself.
    4) This is not Russia. Congress is not a rubber stamp for a Presidents agenda.

You were saying?

10+ Year Old Account
    Very true. Perception when deception is used, is a strong political tool. But the median family income ( with inflation adjustment ) is lower than it was 15 years ago. That is not something which can be twisted by political deception. American's have less money per family to spend now than they did 15 years ago.
    True. I'd argue that's mostly because of supply side economic policies, though. When you make capital gains taxes so low, people tend to take their earnings out of businesses instead of reinvesting them for more growth. And when the working poor has less money to spend, businesses tend to have less reason to grow.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, middle class Americans have less money. The top has seen as steady increase. Trickle down doesn't work...
    Good point, except the trickle down does work if the market and job growth is favorable. And the middle class pay a large majority of the taxes and also spend a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Guess it's time to increase the minimum wage then eh?
    no it is time to put a president in office that know what he fuck he is doing when it comes to the economy passing legislation that would allow us to have economic growth averaging above 3% so business will grow hire more and pay a higher wage
    Not pass laws like Obama did that keeps businesses from hiring and cutting hours

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutarch78 View Post
    3) Only because he's secretly gay himself.
    Talk about a way to complete discredit yourself on these forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    But, it does. The median would have shifted up words, because the differance between bottom and top would be narrower.
    Not necessarily. If I have a series like this:

2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 6, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12

And I change it to this:

4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 6, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12

The median remains 6. There might be some growth in the earnings that are just about the minimum wage, but I don't necessarily see it shifting the median all that far, except inasmuch as poorer people having more money may increase demand and therefore economic growth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    no it is time to put a president in office that know what he fuck he is doing when it comes to the economy passing legislation that would allow us to have economic growth averaging above 3% so business will grow hire more and pay a higher wage
    Not pass laws like Obama did that keeps businesses from hiring and cutting hours
    The president doesn't pass laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    True. I'd argue that's mostly because of supply side economic policies, though. When you make capital gains taxes so low, people tend to take their earnings out of businesses instead of reinvesting them for more growth. And when the working poor has less money to spend, businesses tend to have less reason to grow.
    I agree. Well said.

Good point, except the trickle down does work if the market and job growth is favorable. And the middle class pay a large majority of the taxes and also spend a lot.
    median family income increased under Reagans trickle down and also under JFK when he cut taxes
    history is bitch when it keeps proving you wrong isn't it
    so I will ask you the same thing what is Obama excuse for having a average GDP growth at 1.6%
    and a decrease in median family income
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2016-06-10 at 03:06 PM.

Not necessarily. If I have a series like this:

2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 6, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12

And I change it to this:

4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 6, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12

The median remains 6. There might be some growth in the earnings that are just about the minimum wage, but I don't necessarily see it shifting the median all that far, except inasmuch as poorer people having more money may increase demand and therefore economic growth.
    It's early, but the median isn't 6 with both of those. Median doesn't simply mean the middle number, which is what it looks like your sequence is trying to say the median is still 6 for.

10+ Year Old Account
    The President often leads the legislative agenda for their party, and brokers deals on Capital Hill, though. And they do get that final say as to whether or not to veto.

he sure can introduce bills and lobby congress to pass them

10+ Year Old Account
    Without his signature, they do not become law unless congress overrides his veto. Which is very hard to do. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    It's early, but the median isn't 6 with both of those. Median doesn't simply mean the middle number, which is what it looks like your sequence is trying to say the median is still 6 for.
    Um, what? Yes it does. That's exactly what it means. It's the midpoint in a sample distribution.