7+ Year Old Account

Overwatch has the weirdest lag

In other games when you get a lag spike, the ping shoots up, and a second later or two it will go back down to normal. Where as Overwatch a ping spike lasts several seconds, like 10-20 pretty much not making a it a spike at all more like full blown lag.

Anyone else get the same problem?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have anything like this but I have crazy long load times that make no sense. Half the time I load into the character select screen my teammates have already picked who they are playing and entered the match. One time I actually got kicked from inactivity and I had barely loaded in and was taking a couple seconds to consider my pick. My ping is 14ms and Overwatch is installed on an SSD so I really have no idea what it is.

I also have a little bit of choppiness the first time I see a map each day, but I assume that's some kind of caching issue.

You're in Perth though, so that might have something to do with it. You guys are often not blessed when it comes to speeds or the availability of nearby servers.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Some games express ping as an average of the last X pings, and I believe that Overwatch may be one of them. If you have a latency spike that you can only feel for one second, the reported ping is going to curve up and down a bit more smoothly.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I don't have anything like this but I have crazy long load times that make no sense. Half the time I load into the character select screen my teammates have already picked who they are playing and entered the match. One time I actually got kicked from inactivity and I had barely loaded in and was taking a couple seconds to consider my pick. My ping is 14ms and Overwatch is installed on an SSD so I really have no idea what it is.

I also have a little bit of choppiness the first time I see a map each day, but I assume that's some kind of caching issue.

You're in Perth though, so that might have something to do with it. You guys are often not blessed when it comes to speeds or the availability of nearby servers.
    Its really not related to my city as far as i can tell. I can play other games on servers on the other side of the country just fine. Cant figure out why it does this though.

You can sort of keep track of Overwatches Ping if you tell it to load the performance stats from the video options.
    In game, they load up in the top left corner in white text.

The lag I've had with Overwatch, didn't come from Blizzard. So far, and terribly timed, it has been my ISP due to a merger with them messing with servers on off-hours of the day, which just so happens to be prime-time for gamers after business hours.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Could be something else at play, there is a known ASUS motherboard issue thats causing lag in the game and where there is one incompatibility there are sure to be others. May take some times for them to debug all the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDestinatus View Post
    Could be something else at play, there is a known ASUS motherboard issue thats causing lag in the game and where there is one incompatibility there are sure to be others. May take some times for them to debug all the issues.
    Asus Motherboards being the source of the lag? Could I get a source, please? (I have an ASUS board, so I'm curious. x3)
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Don't have one, just know its something guild members of mine have had to rectify to fix their lag issues, google should have the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    In other games when you get a lag spike, the ping shoots up, and a second later or two it will go back down to normal. Where as Overwatch a ping spike lasts several seconds, like 10-20 pretty much not making a it a spike at all more like full blown lag.

Anyone else get the same problem?
    You may get a 50ms increase in lag (one tick further behind) if your connection is not solid and fast enough. They automatically increase the delay and then set it back to a shorter value if you can handle it for X amount of time, it's a netcode thing

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
    Asus Motherboards being the source of the lag? Could I get a source, please? (I have an ASUS board, so I'm curious. x3)
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...with-Overwatch
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svisalith View Post
    You may get a 50ms increase in lag (one tick further behind) if your connection is not solid and fast enough. They automatically increase the delay and then set it back to a shorter value if you can handle it for X amount of time, it's a netcode thing
    Can you expand more on this??

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Can you expand more on this??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTH2ZPgYujQ

I've had weird loading screens too where I got kicked for inactivity 2 seconds after being on the hero select screen.

My lag rarely happens but when it does it makes me feel like someone is shoving my character to the left over and over again. Like I am walking then shoved left, try to compensate and shoved left, shoved, shoved, shoved every few steps. I shut down some stuff in the background and it goes away, like steam or vent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I've had weird loading screens too where I got kicked for inactivity 2 seconds after being on the hero select screen.
    Yes! This is like what I've been having despite the servers being practically in my backyard and having an excellent ping.

And I know it's because the loading screens are overly long for me, because my friends that I'm queued with will already be discussing the map and what characters to go with before I've even reached the character select screen.

I've only been actually booted for AFK once, but I'm sure I'm close to it fairly often.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |