Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Has Grindr/Tinder killed Online Dating?

In my opinion dating apps have hindered online dating in regards to people preferring to use their phone over the PC. What's your opinion

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they're designed to do different things with Tinder/Grindr for more simple, one time get togethers that may or may not lead to sexy time. And "Online" dating being more serious with older people looking for serious relationships. Not to say that serious relationships can't come out of Tinder but I think it's designed for the younger 20s crowd that's exploring their sexuality and what's out there.

Wouldn't say it's hindered it per say but more and more young people are going to use Tinder over OKcupid for example. It's also far easier to set up a Tinder account and not answer a million questions

I've considered getting a facebook account so I can use tinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    I think they're designed to do different things with Tinder/Grindr for more simple, one time get togethers that may or may not lead to sexy time. And "Online" dating being more serious with older people looking for serious relationships. Not to say that serious relationships can't come out of Tinder but I think it's designed for the younger 20s crowd that's exploring their sexuality and what's out there.

Wouldn't say it's hindered it per say but more and more young people are going to use Tinder over OKcupid for example. It's also far easier to set up a Tinder account and not answer a million questions
    I remember the early days of Faceparty and Gaydar, however I have used sites like Badoo and OKCupid I noticed a significant difference especially regarding attention spans

Tinder and Grindr are not for dating. They are for fucking. So maybe they had an effect on the other sites by removing the people who just wanted to have sex.

Deleted
    Tinder is a bit spammy and messy with the bots, but still the best way to meet girls for dates and hookups without wasting a lot of time talking about nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by dragonvalor View Post
    In my opinion dating apps have hindered online dating in regards to people preferring to use their phone over the PC. What's your opinion
    I don't know how accessing things with a different medium would render it obsolete.

Tinder is completely useless for every 4matches you get 5 of those 4 matches are bots.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Tinder is completely useless for every 4matches you get 5 of those 4 matches are bots.
    I live in Spain. I haven't ran into a single bot yet. Tho true that I only started using it recently and only went on 4 dates.

But I do have to agree that Tinder is for hooking up. Sometimes it's fun. Sometimes it's just weird.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2016-06-21 at 04:49 PM.

Considering your equating dating with casual sex I don't think your mature enough to have this discussion.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

It was never really alive.. at least if you are a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    It was never really alive.. at least if you are a guy.
    Heterosexual pleb.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Heterosexual pleb.
    We are the true victims of the botarchy.

My best friend's sister got married to a guy she met on a Tinder date...

The majority of online dating has always been about sex and not relationships. Tinder has just cut the bullshit for the most part.

Are they not basically the same thing as the older dating sties? I don't have a need for these apps personally but of what I played around on phone was essentially the same thing as a dating service.

I have no idea what the follow through for these things are though. So my knowledge here is very limited, they just seem the same to me at a basic level.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the online dating stalkers and killers have killed online dating.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Considering your equating dating with casual sex I don't think your mature enough to have this discussion.
    Where am I equating casual sex with dating?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    Tinder and Grindr are not for dating. They are for fucking. So maybe they had an effect on the other sites by removing the people who just wanted to have sex.
    Grindr may have designed with hook ups in mind, but a lot of people use it for dating and meeting friends. I met my current boyfriend over grindr and we went a few months before having sex at all! Hell I use it as a way to buy weed off people who are close to me.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I hope it made it better. I hated online dating because it was just a bunch fo people who just wanted a fling, while that is fun id rather just pick someone up at a bar. Maybe those types of people would migrate to those apps and leave the site for what it was intended. Glad I don't have to go through that anymore, most people are single for a reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    Maybe they aren't for dating where you live. Here they absolutely are.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!