Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    "Switch to <insert hero here> to counter X"
    Said one of your team members who most of the time, while playing some offense hero, could actually do it themselves. They just seem to think they are taking the lead on who should do what and when.

Like at the start of one of my games last night. friend picks Zarya, and gets "you should pick Reinhardt instead, don't take her". Who the fuck are you to come into a random game and dictate which heroes people should play. I mean if you think Reinhardt is that good on the map we were on you could've picked him yourself.
    Getting pretty sick of playing in a 3 man team that does pretty well to hear the 3 randoms, who always pick some fucking combination of Genji, Reaper, WM, Hanzo and Tracer, and then dictate who the 3 organised people should play.
    Last edited by Zelendria; 2016-06-21 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    Let's face it, most people have no clue how to play this game. It's a new game so that's understandable. Do I tell them that? No. I try to be nice in game so people don't troll.

But the reality is that most people aren't actively trying to get better at the game. They play their "favorite" hero and never switch. In fact, hero switching is something that most players really need to accept and work on. When I say, "Hey, I'm a healer so I can't switch but can someone counter that Bastion (or Widow, etc)" most people are like "you switch" or "stfu". Same thing goes with when I'm a support and ask the team to pick a tank, most people start flaming away or trolling.

Man, I sure do have a love/hate relationship with this game. I'm currently on a 10 game losing streak. I usually have at least 3 gold medals (not trying to toot my own horn) so I'm trying my best and playing well, but it's so frustrating because the game seems to be full of 90% incompetent people.
    Most people don't know how to optimally play any game, that's why there are only ever 5% that reach the top of any "gaming" community and even they learn new things all the time. Thinking you're going to be able teach randoms in a public game is like taking on the worlds hardest project, they won't listen to you just for the sake of not listening so you do what everyone else does, laugh, make jokes and move onto the next game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IxilaFA View Post
    And for God's sake I wish people would be more aggressive. I can't tell you how many times I've jumped in as winston, killed their Mercy, and led two other people around on a wild goose chase and I look around and the rest of my team is just sitting at the choke point hiding behind the wall and taking potshots.
    This is really annoying when you play a tank, and you continuously go in alone when the rest stands there. It is also, at least in my games, why last second pushes often succeed because by then people realize maybe they should really push instead of standing miles away being picked off one by one.

Hero switching is only absolutely necessary if you want to win. If you do not want to win, it's not necessary! And since winning isn't absolutely required in order to have fun in this game, you'll have people not switching characters and not caring about doing it either.

I for one, play widowmaker almost exclusively. Because I have fun that way. And if anyone does not like it, they're welcome to leave game and look for the next match or wait for competitive, ranked mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, I love all those last-second pushes when during the rest of the game everyone was trying to play assassin/dueler/sniper.

I guarantee that a huge number of them see the timer ticking down and think, "Well clearly my team sucks and is doing nothing, I suppose *I* will handle it for them" and rush to the point with everyone else who thought the same thing.
    Yep exactly! I have had so many successful last second pushes for victory it is almost silly. Nowadays when playing Lucio I make certain I have my ultimate available at that point, cause all of a sudden people see the timer, or overtime, and they all of a sudden go balls to the wall for the objective while the rest of the game they are nowhere in sight.

Why are you saying you're not going to go into ranked mode doing exactly the same thing you're doing now?...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiev View Post
    Hero switching is only absolutely necessary if you want to win. If you do not want to win, it's not necessary! And since winning isn't absolutely required in order to have fun in this game, you'll have people not switching characters and not caring about doing it either.

I for one, play widowmaker almost exclusively. Because I have fun that way. And if anyone does not like it, they're welcome to leave game and look for the next match or wait for competitive, ranked mode.
    Do you really have fun when an opponent singles you out and keeps you out of the game - so really you're not actually getting to play her anyway? When you know you're losing and switching to someone more appropriate might just swing it?

Had a Hanzo the other night doing the exact same thing, complaining a Tracer was camping him and singling him out. Didn't even occur to him to try something else, but he clearly wasn't having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Do you really have fun when an opponent singles you out and keeps you out of the game - so really you're not actually getting to play her anyway? When you know you're losing and switching to someone more appropriate might just swing it?

Had a Hanzo the other night doing the exact same thing, complaining a Tracer was camping him and singling him out. Didn't even occur to him to try something else, but he clearly wasn't having fun.
    While hero switching can be necessary, sometimes the thought doesn't even cross people's mind. I think most people are used to being "stuck" with what they picked. I know I had to change my way of thinking about this.
    Member of every Blizzard beta club.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Well then... Who's going to stop me?
    I'm not telling you to stop, I'm just informing you that what you are doing is pointless for anyone but you.

With that snap response though it's pretty apparent you are less worried about helping and informing people then you are hearing yourself talk.

99% of the time it's not constructive. Or correct.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakpower View Post
    While hero switching can be necessary, sometimes the thought doesn't even cross people's mind. I think most people are used to being "stuck" with what they picked. I know I had to change my way of thinking about this.
    Another reason people won't change is that you're publicly admitting you failed by switching. It's a message to everyone in the match that you're doing so bad you've switched.
    Or the self reasoning that 'I'm really good with this hero I'll git gud on my next respawn'.

I imagine absolutely everybody in here has been stubborn enough at some point to stick with their initial hero despite doing complete shite with it.

Because the Internet's slowly been turning into this little glassbox where everyone gets triggered by everything.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    Let's face it, most people have no clue how to play this game. It's a new game so that's understandable. Do I tell them that? No. I try to be nice in game so people don't troll.

But the reality is that most people aren't actively trying to get better at the game. They play their "favorite" hero and never switch. In fact, hero switching is something that most players really need to accept and work on. When I say, "Hey, I'm a healer so I can't switch but can someone counter that Bastion (or Widow, etc)" most people are like "you switch" or "stfu". Same thing goes with when I'm a support and ask the team to pick a tank, most people start flaming away or trolling.

Man, I sure do have a love/hate relationship with this game. I'm currently on a 10 game losing streak. I usually have at least 3 gold medals (not trying to toot my own horn) so I'm trying my best and playing well, but it's so frustrating because the game seems to be full of 90% incompetent people.
    Ever tried League of Legends? Because your problem appears daily there in almost any match you play.

People, most of the time, don't take well constructive criticism and misunderstand "advice" linking it to "criticize".

Players (well all people really) tend to react better to positive reinforcement, compliment people on a great play or save "Mercy, that was a fantastic play, thanks for saving my sorry butt" and then follow it up with some self depreciating humor. They wont necessarily become better players but they will at least know what they are doing right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelendria View Post
    Another reason people won't change is that you're publicly admitting you failed by switching. It's a message to everyone in the match that you're doing so bad you've switched.
    Or the self reasoning that 'I'm really good with this hero I'll git gud on my next respawn'.

I imagine absolutely everybody in here has been stubborn enough at some point to stick with their initial hero despite doing complete shite with it.
    This is so wrong. Even if you are doing poorly, hero switching means you are at least trying to win and do better. You definitely have a strange outlook on one of the core aspects of the game.

You either play to win or play to have fun. Seems like you're playing to win and are getting screwed over by the people who enjoy playing for fun. That's how multiplayer games work, sorry. Try getting a group together?