Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    I do not play Overwatch but i have bothered to read most of the background stories of the characters.
    As far as i get the picture there can be made many things. Like when Overwatch disbanded their facilities got raided and many weapons stolen - so one part of the "missions" can be You and your friends raid terrorist/XXX organization warehouse and get some nasty weapon back for safeguard. Or some of the heroes are involved with some shady organizations so You and your friends can be attacking branches of those organization and try to bust them etc (idk). Those Omnic dudes can get a faction going rogue and threatening to attack the world again and You and your friends go to destroy their factories for weapons etc. You can also hunt criminals.
    There are many things that can be done in "PvE" mode with this world.. cool stuff... why are people so against it? :")

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Mortal Kombat 9/X pretty much paved a way for campaign like this. You would play for a couple of missions with each character, with the story tying itself together. Wouldn't have to be long per character - like playing Hanzo for a mission where he deals with some Shimada bussiness, and comes back to learn that he needs to kill his brother. After having a boss fight with Genji, you stop playing as Hanzo and wake up in Genjis body as he is reconstructed - which might lead to you playing as him during his first Overwatch assignment, and maybe ending on the duel with Hanzo we saw in trailer. And then we move on to Zenyatta training Genji or something.
    But Mortal Kombat Xs campaign is pretty much just using VS Ai combat between some cutscenes. It might tell the story pretty well, but it is really just using already ingame systems, to tell a story. Playing the campaign is pretty much the same as playing a number of VS-AI fights. Now, how would that work in Owerwatch? You could set up a lot of cutscenes between each mission, and then have players fight against some AI unique guards and then fight superpowered AI characters. That would proberly work, but here is the thing. The Ai for Overwatch, and most others brawler shooters, are very poor. Not because they are not well programmed, but because it is extremly hard to design AI around the maps in shooters. So you would really just get Ai, who stand still and shootes at you from a stationary point, which is very wierd for a game like Overwatch. Because of the movement each character have in the game, making boss fights, that actually feel like boss fights is going to be extremly hard, if not impossible to make. Also, most of the characters really don't have any abilities to use outside of their auto attack. Making missions with Sonya is just going to be you shooting her lazer for 5-15 min straight... Does not really sound compelling.

Personally, i would love if they could introduce story in Overwatch in some manner of way, but with how the gameplay of Overwatch works, i just find to hard to see them making gameplay, which is different from just a normal VS-AI match. In mortal kombat, you have long battles against many different opponents of different skill-lvl, but the combat in Overwatch is so quick, that 1vs1 fights would be over in a flash, yet where multiple Ai vs 1 player is gonna feel messy and clunky.

They could ofcourse use a lot of time and energi to make campaign versions of all the Overwatch characters, but i think the gain would be so little, compared to using that energi on making new heroes, improved/new maps and new game modes. The game is still very new and kind of small. I think that the large majority of the playerbase would rather see expansions in PVP, then just getting a new PVE story campaign.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deithy View Post
    I do not play Overwatch but i have bothered to read most of the background stories of the characters.
    As far as i get the picture there can be made many things. Like when Overwatch disbanded their facilities got raided and many weapons stolen - so one part of the "missions" can be You and your friends raid terrorist/XXX organization warehouse and get some nasty weapon back for safeguard. Or some of the heroes are involved with some shady organizations so You and your friends can be attacking branches of those organization and try to bust them etc (idk). Those Omnic dudes can get a faction going rogue and threatening to attack the world again and You and your friends go to destroy their factories for weapons etc. You can also hunt criminals.
    There are many things that can be done in "PvE" mode with this world.. cool stuff... why are people so against it? :")
    When you have to work within the Overwatch programming, making a campaign, that does not completly change how the heroes work, would be very hard to make interactive and enjoyable in the long run.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

keep this mmo shit out of my multiplayershooter, mkay.

just so happy levels and lootboxes mean nothing, like anything in this game.

Stuff like what warframe does, that would be awesome in overwatch

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    But Mortal Kombat Xs campaign is pretty much just using VS Ai combat between some cutscenes. It might tell the story pretty well, but it is really just using already ingame systems, to tell a story. Playing the campaign is pretty much the same as playing a number of VS-AI fights. Now, how would that work in Owerwatch? You could set up a lot of cutscenes between each mission, and then have players fight against some AI unique guards and then fight superpowered AI characters. That would proberly work, but here is the thing. The Ai for Overwatch, and most others brawler shooters, are very poor. Not because they are not well programmed, but because it is extremly hard to design AI around the maps in shooters. So you would really just get Ai, who stand still and shootes at you from a stationary point, which is very wierd for a game like Overwatch. Because of the movement each character have in the game, making boss fights, that actually feel like boss fights is going to be extremly hard, if not impossible to make. Also, most of the characters really don't have any abilities to use outside of their auto attack. Making missions with Sonya is just going to be you shooting her lazer for 5-15 min straight... Does not really sound compelling.

Personally, i would love if they could introduce story in Overwatch in some manner of way, but with how the gameplay of Overwatch works, i just find to hard to see them making gameplay, which is different from just a normal VS-AI match. In mortal kombat, you have long battles against many different opponents of different skill-lvl, but the combat in Overwatch is so quick, that 1vs1 fights would be over in a flash, yet where multiple Ai vs 1 player is gonna feel messy and clunky.
    Vs battles could work if you increased both combatants hp and maybe give some new set of rules, it's just an AI and balancing thing. As for other missions, you could make a generic enemy (Soldier:76 without any abilities type of guy) and set a scenario, a mission you need to complete.

First Hanzos mission might be to assassinate a guy who is guarded by lots of those generic enemies, making it some sort of Dishonored-esque mission where you can't be found. Fighting Genji would mean a lot of wallrunning, not shooting him when deflection is up and tracking him down with sonic arrow.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Vs battles could work if you increased both combatants hp and maybe give some new set of rules, it's just an AI and balancing thing. As for other missions, you could make a generic enemy (Soldier:76 without any abilities type of guy) and set a scenario, a mission you need to complete.

First Hanzos mission might be to assassinate a guy who is guarded by lots of those generic enemies, making it some sort of Dishonored-esque mission where you can't be found. Fighting Genji would mean a lot of wallrunning, not shooting him when deflection is up and tracking him down with sonic arrow.
    Just saying its an "AI thing" is a huge understatement. It has taken Riot a very long time to get their AI bots to get at the lvl, which they are at now, and they still have some hugely exploitive interactions. Now, that is just within a static lane-to-lane game. This is a multiplayer game, with very quick movement and characters designed to kill targets with very little health. Changing just small things about health or dmg might break the tempo/playability of some characters completly.

It really just sounds like you want an entire new game, just with overwatch characters as the main lead. All of the stealth things sounds nice, but not inside the Overwatch engine. I don't even think, that blizzards current AI can even play Genji at a decent lvl. They would have to create new models, new AI, proberly new abilities to make simple characters work and also new lvls, who are longer and more friendly to a single player feel. For this to work, they might aswell just make an entirely new game, just based on the Overwatch engine. And that is a lot! of work.

To make this campaign thing happend, i really think that we are asking way too much of Blizzard, to just make an update with a campaign in it. We can always hope, that Blizzards next game is "Overwatch: A Story Untold - "Single player only".
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

It would take people away from quick play and make queues longer, so no.

The heroes aren't balanced at all in terms of PvE so I don't see PvE in Overwatch being anything more than a gimmicky sideshow.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, nor do I think it would matter that much, but there isn't character customization like there is in battleborn, you are stuck with what you have in overwatch.

Soldier 76 is the obvious best option for solo PvE play since he has mobility, healing, range, high dps, and an ultimate that would be relevant in pve.

Then you've got Reinhardt who would just utterly destroy PvE in a group setting as a tank. And junkrat who does such an absurd amount of AoE damage that trash mobs would never overwhelm you.

You put the 3 of them together and you'd smash anything that a PvE environment could throw at you.

Not going to lie, at first I really wanted a campaign or some sort of extra PVE modes. But really, playing vs AI in Overwatch isn't really fun. Overwatch just feels really good as is honestly. I don't think the PVE would actually be "fun".

I think their idea to have a PVP game, and introduce lore outside the game is actually a really cool idea and perfect for OW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Not going to lie, at first I really wanted a campaign or some sort of extra PVE modes. But really, playing vs AI in Overwatch isn't really fun. Overwatch just feels really good as is honestly. I don't think the PVE would actually be "fun".

I think their idea to have a PVP game, and introduce lore outside the game is actually a really cool idea and perfect for OW.
    I will stick to their lore videoclips then. I don't care about any kind of PvP games, and I care much about story (as tiny as it may be). I would have bought the game if there would have been some kind of preludes to every character (like, a series of short missions showing important parts of the character's history, possibly a series of events, each time told from the PoV of a different character). But if things stay as they are, I will be watching the videos and nothing else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    It would take people away from quick play and make queues longer, so no.
    You realize that as long as there's 12 more people playing the game, there'll be a new game starting, right? Everyone is stood at the same MMR because MMR doesn't work in this game.

I'm sure you can find 12 more people to a game from a pool of 10 million people, even if it's 4 in the morning.

Also, there are people out there who aren't playing at all, because they already find quick matches boring, and then there are people out there playing against bots. None of those people play with you, and some of them might find these kinds of "missions" fun.

Overwatch is a PvP game, so, a big NO.

There are games for that... Destiny, Firefall, etc.. go check them out.