Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Trump Walks Back Remarks on Guns at Orlando Club After NRA Disagrees

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...-nra-disagrees

Donald Trump on Monday walked back remarks he made in recent days about the night-club shooting in Orlando, saying he wanted security guards or employees—not club-goers—to be armed.

""When I said that if, within the Orlando club, you had some people with guns, I was obviously talking about additional guards or employees""

On Friday, however, Trump suggested he wanted civilians at the Pulse nightclub armed.
    "It's too bad that some of the young people that were killed over the weekend didn't have guns attached to their hip, frankly, where bullets could have flown in the opposite direction," the presumptive Republican nominee said on The Howie Carr Show. "It would have been a much different deal... Had people been able to fire back it would have been a much different outcome."
    At a Saturday rally in Las Vegas, Trump made a similar remark.
    Keep up with the race of a lifetime.
    Get our politics newsletter daily.

"If there were a couple of folks—man, woman—had a gun strapped right here," Trump said at a Saturday rally in Las Vegas, pointing to his waist, "or a gun strapped very nicely to the ankle, this no good sick, sick, perverted, horrible terrorist—terrorist—was in there starting the shooting, one of those people would've had the bullets going the other way, folks, it would have been a whole different story."

On Sunday, the public face of the National Rifle Association, which has endorsed Trump for president, disagreed that club-goers should be carrying guns.
    "I don't think you should have firearms where people are drinking," NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre said on CBS' Face The Nation when asked about the Republican candidate's remarks.

Trump's walk-back represents a recurring theme that has confounded many Republicans: his apparent inattention to policy detail and conservative orthodoxy. He won the GOP primary on a platform that contradicts a variety of stances popular among party elites, including opposition to trade deals, banning Muslim entry into the U.S., and vowing not to cut Social Security.

You know you goofed when the NRA is like "Nah man. That's too many guns."

"It's too bad that some of the young people that were killed over the weekend didn't have guns attached to their hip, frankly, where bullets could have flown in the opposite direction,"
    "When I said that if, within the Orlando club, you had some people with guns, I was obviously talking about additional guards or employees"
    Nothing obvious about it. It's like he's trying to be Ted Cruz, who is actually good at using weasel words, but just failing miserably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Trump lying is barely news.

On the object-level question, yeah, it seems like a pretty obviously terrible idea to have guns in bars.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not sure why they didn't just call it a back-pedal.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    On the object-level question, yeah, it seems like a pretty obviously terrible idea to have guns in bars.
    I don't see why having a gun in a bar would be a problem as long as you don't drink alcohol. Given the behaviour of some when under the influence, it might even be a good idea.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good. At least he can admit when he is wrong. Unlike his opponent.

Man, if Trump did mean 'we need more security guards with guns' (which he definitely didn't), that's some next level solution right there! With ideas like this, how the fuck did Trump steaks fail?

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Not sure why they didn't just call it a back-pedal.
    Or Moonwalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Except he didn't admit he was wrong. He basically said we misunderstood, and that his true meaning was 'obvious.' Which is to say, not only did we all misunderstand, but we're apparently all idiots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The problem with a gun in any given scenario is that it presents an instant escalation of the situation simply by being present. What might have been just two dudes throwing a couple punches suddenly turns into a fatality if a gun is around, it's not typically a good thing to throw into every situation.
    Appropriate use of force isn't specific to bars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Except he didn't admit he was wrong. He basically said we misunderstood, and that his true meaning was 'obvious.' Which is to say, not only did we all misunderstand, but we're apparently all idiots.
    Lol. Good point. He was wrong and saying he was misunderstood is not going to change the fact he was wrong. But he has said he has changed his stance on some issues. Even admitted he once was pro- choice.

as a general rule gun free zones should be looked at as to how effective they are. buuuut I sure as hell don't expect a bunch of drunk/dancing people to be able to handle firearms in an "effective" way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Nothing obvious about it. It's like he's trying to be Ted Cruz, who is actually good at using weasel words, but just failing miserably.
    This so reminded me of the best moment of all those debates.

"The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even Trump is under their thumb, apparently.

So much for his "independence from the establishment."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Telomerase View Post
    Even Trump is under their thumb, apparently.

So much for his "independence from the establishment."
    The NRA has about 5 million members.
    Gotta do what you gotta do, to have their good graces.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    But have to give them some credit. At least they bulked at his statement about the patrons in a bar should have been armed. So I do not feel they have any brown stuff on their noses.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    luckily there are 350+million Americans ~x million have children, totaling just under 74million kids under 18. It sounds dramatic, but at this point you're voting to gamble the lives of our children whether they're in school, or at a bar.

Wait until San san bernardino and Oralndo or Columbine/Sandy Hook start happening in the private schools politicians send their children to. literally overnight we will see change. Politicians can be bribed to fuck over other peoples children, but not their own.

It'd be horrific, but it would be poetic justice for politicians to reap what they sow for thousands of American families to go through every year. You have politicians with tax payer bought security details for their children voting to put more guns in schools and on the streets. children that go to private schools in SUV's being driven by bodyguards in suits.
    Last edited by Glnger; 2016-06-21 at 12:18 AM.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Uh he didn't admit he was wrong. He claimed he meant something other than what he said. He is incapable of admitting he was wrong.
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    Uh he didn't admit he was wrong. He claimed he meant something other than what he said. He is incapable of admitting he was wrong.
    "I agree with his statements"

When he changes his mind

"I am glad he admits his statement was no good"