Quote Originally Posted by Koeienvlaai View Post
    stop killing the thread!
    No!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    A fight? Count me in!
    No, fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    A fight? Count me in!
    Everyone, get in here! Everyone, get in here! Everyone, get in here...!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    No, fuck off Patron

Normie, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I dunno, I was bored

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    I'm awake! Also I have cats in my lap. Because fuck you
    Give me the kitties. I need the kitties. I don't want to work anymore today. 3:

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Give me the kitties. I need the kitties. I don't want to work anymore today. 3:
    Why'd you work on a Saturday? That makes no sense!
    *Gently puts kitties in your lap*

THAT REMINDS ME I NEVER ANSWERED THIS-

That he is. I don't like that, do you?
    I don't mind it, since even at the start he's a decent character. He has his humorous parts due to how dense he is at least.

Which is actually interesting. His growth from "I'm the best, most badass warrior in the universe" at the very beginning, to having Goku be a rival who pushes him to his limits, to realizing that Goku is stronger than him which very much hurts his immense pride, to settling down to make a family, to throwing that all away, to sacrificing his life to attempt to kill Buu... That's a good character. Goku has none of that; he's the typical Shonen protagonist. I don't find that interesting.
    Except this is all done with the depth of a kiddy pool. I mean, who the hell would honestly think that they're the best, so they'll choose to be controlled by someone else just for the sake of being stronger? Like, Vegeta's whole character revolves around his pride, yet he throws that out the window just to try to beat Goku at a key moment that they didn't have time to be dealing with such petty squabbles.

Also, who didn't sacrifice their life at some point? Goku brought Cell off the planet when he blew up and killed himself. Goku also held Raditz in place so Piccolo can kill him. Vegeta took time to get to that point, but does that really make him a good character?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    The answer is of course Vegeta. I season most of my soups with it, also great with fried vegetables.
    I went to a buffet while on vacation.

They had chili in the soup section.

What the hell is this

7+ Year Old Account
    Signing up. Might not post a lot, but follow it all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    THAT REMINDS ME I NEVER ANSWERED THIS-
    Oh. I thought you just conceded your point because you are wrong.

I don't mind it
    I mean, I don't hate Goku, I think he's just a boring Mary Sue character devoid of any personality or interesting characteristics.

since even at the start he's a decent character. He has his humorous parts due to how dense he is at least.
    Decent? Eh. I didn't find him to be humorous, but humor is subjective, I suppose.

Except this is all done with the depth of a kiddy pool
    Yeah, no.

I mean, who the hell would honestly think that they're the best, so they'll choose to be controlled by someone else just for the sake of being stronger?
    A character that is more interesting than Goku, that's who. Granted, it's been years, but the only things I can remember about Goku are the following: he's the "main" character, therefore he will always be the strongest; he is dumb/ignorant/however you'd like to put it; and he eats a lot. That is a boring character.

Like, Vegeta's whole character revolves around his pride, yet he throws that out the window just to try to beat Goku at a key moment that they didn't have time to be dealing with such petty squabbles.
    At what point does Majin Vegeta throw out his pride when he's fighting Goku? I assume you're pointing to the point where he sucker punches Goku and wins (which admittedly is a bitch move and I wish he hadn't done that)?

Also, who didn't sacrifice their life at some point? Goku brought Cell off the planet when he blew up and killed himself. Goku also held Raditz in place so Piccolo can kill him.
    If you're isolating a singular thing and saying that therefore it is meaningless, sure. The point is that would normally never happen with a character such as Vegeta.

Vegeta took time to get to that point
    Like all good characters, it takes a while for them to grow; if they don't take their time, it isn't believable.

but does that really make him a good character?
    Does that one, singular event make him a good character? No. With the combination of everything else? Yes.

I'm still waiting to hear what you like about Goku, other than "he's the MC and he's goofy sometimes".

Oh. I thought you just conceded your point because you are wrong.
    Nope!

I mean, I don't hate Goku, I think he's just a boring Mary Sue character devoid of any personality or interesting characteristics.
    I'd argue almost every DBZ character is boring and that DB is master race, but that's not the topic I suppose.

Decent? Eh. I didn't find him to be humorous, but humor is subjective, I suppose.
    Well, not like amazingly humorous, but funny at times.

Yeah, no.
    Do you truly consider DBZ to have in depth character development? I mean, the most development is both Piccolo and Vegeta deciding they don't want to be a big bully anymore, and that's it. Pretty much everyone else is static.

A character that is more interesting than Goku, that's who. Granted, it's been years, but the only things I can remember about Goku are the following: he's the "main" character, therefore he will always be the strongest; he is dumb/ignorant/however you'd like to put it; and he eats a lot. That is a boring character.
    Vegeta also eats a lot, and was on the verge of being stupid in terms of Earthlings, it was more of common saiyan traits if anything.

But yet again, I'd argue every character is pretty much boring.

At what point does Majin Vegeta throw out his pride when he's fighting Goku? I assume you're pointing to the point where he sucker punches Goku and wins (which admittedly is a bitch move and I wish he hadn't done that)?
    When he allows someone else to give him a power up to try to defeat someone with power that isn't his own?

If you're isolating a singular thing and saying that therefore it is meaningless, sure. The point is that would normally never happen with a character such as Vegeta.
    That doesn't suddenly make him a better character though, it just meant he had a bit of change. Yet again, I'll repeat it, Vegeta is better in terms of development, but I feel as if the development was so weak anyway that Goku is just a more enjoyable character.

Like all good characters, it takes a while for them to grow; if they don't take their time, it isn't believable.
    Except he still doesn't do much anyway outside of the few times he's a villain again.

Does that one, singular event make him a good character? No. With the combination of everything else? Yes.
    Do you mean good as in hero good, or as in enjoyable good?

Because the first wasn't what I was debating, the second is eh...

I'm still waiting to hear what you like about Goku, other than "he's the MC and he's goofy sometimes".
    That he was a character who from the start was always willing to throw down his life to save others. Honestly, for a story with as little depth as DBZ has, that's enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I'd argue almost every DBZ character is boring and that DB is master race, but that's not the topic I suppose.
    I've never seen Dragon Ball before. I only brought up this conversation because Maaanwell said he liked Goku, which is something I still don't understand, but opinions and all that.

Well, not like amazingly humorous, but funny at times.
    Again, I disagree, but like I've said, humor is subjective.

Do you truly consider DBZ to have in depth character development? I mean, the most development is both Piccolo and Vegeta deciding they don't want to be a big bully anymore, and that's it. Pretty much everyone else is static.
    For DBZ standards, yes, I believe Vegeta has in-depth character development. It could have been better, but he was and is miles ahead of anyone presented in the show. I don't believe that DBZ is well-written aside from that, but then again, what Shōnen show that has 291 plus episodes is? And your "big bully" statement is rather reductionist, but okay.

Vegeta also eats a lot, and was on the verge of being stupid in terms of Earthlings, it was more of common saiyan traits if anything.
    I don't recall Vegeta eating a lot, nor being "stupid" - at least not comparable to Goku, but maybe I'm wrong. Like I've said before, it's been years since I've watched it.

When he allows someone else to give him a power up to try to defeat someone with power that isn't his own?
    The whole "power level" thing is ridiculously arbitrary anyway; I can see what you're saying, but I would be just as prideful as magically obtaining a new move or an increase in power level. That's one of the main reasons I dislike Shōnen shows.

That doesn't suddenly make him a better character though, it just meant he had a bit of change. Yet again, I'll repeat it, Vegeta is better in terms of development, but I feel as if the development was so weak anyway that Goku is just a more enjoyable character.
    A bit? I feel as though you're not looking at the bigger picture.

Except he still doesn't do much anyway outside of the few times he's a villain again.
    If the writers don't give him screen time, is that the fault of the character?

Do you mean good as in hero good, or as in enjoyable good?
    The latter.

That he was a character who from the start was always willing to throw down his life to save others. Honestly, for a story with as little depth as DBZ has, that's enough for me.
    I mean...if that's all it takes for you to like a character...that seems like some rather low expectations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice walls of text I didn't read you two

I've never seen Dragon Ball before
    What are you doing in your life

DB>>>>>>>>>DBZ by a long shot.

Again, I disagree, but like I've said, humor is subjective.
    It is, but it also wasn't the only reason I prefered Goku.

For DBZ standards, yes, I believe Vegeta has in-depth character development. It could have been better, but he was and is miles ahead of anyone presented in the show. I don't believe that DBZ is well-written aside from that, but then again, what Shōnen show that has 291 plus episodes is? And your "big bully" statement is rather reductionist, but okay.
    One Piece? Naruto?

And that's my point, "miles ahead" in DBZ means absolutely nothing when everyone else is at zero. And how is it rather reductionist? Genuine question, because that was literally the major development for him was going from villain to hero to villain and back again (Special shout out to Dragon Ball GT for adding another loop!).

I don't recall Vegeta eating a lot, nor being "stupid" - at least not comparable to Goku, but maybe I'm wrong. Like I've said before, it's been years since I've watched it.
    I can't find it right now, but I'm pretty sure the food thing was more because of how much energy saiyans burn through. And maybe stupid is the wrong word, but ignorant.

The whole "power level" thing is ridiculously arbitrary anyway; I can see what you're saying, but I would be just as prideful as magically obtaining a new move or an increase in power level. That's one of the main reasons I dislike Shōnen shows.
    But that's the thing, he didn't obtain it himself, he literally allowed Babidi to give him a boost in turn for being semi-controlled (but not fully). It wasn't his own power at all, he sunk low enough to allow an external person to give him more power.

A bit? I feel as though you're not looking at the bigger picture.
    Well he was never a completely uncaring person it seems-
    Though they grew up apart, Vegeta does care about his younger brother Tarble, though he is highly disappointed with Tarble's extreme lack of fighting power despite the fact he comes from the powerful royal bloodline.
    http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Vegeta

If the writers don't give him screen time, is that the fault of the character?
    Does it still make them a good character though? For a WoW comparison, are we suddenly going to say Vol'jin was an amazing warchief even though Blizzard didn't do anything with him?

I mean...if that's all it takes for you to like a character...that seems like some rather low expectations.
    Low expectations for a low quality storyline.

DBZ was never about story depth, but about the combat and fighting. Just compare it to Naruto even in that regards. Even Rock Lee alone had more development than everyone in DBZ together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Why'd you work on a Saturday? That makes no sense!
    *Gently puts kitties in your lap*
    The meanie pants meanie heads that did my rota this month (and next month come to think about it) have decided I want to work a lot. And not have Saturdays off.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm signing up!

Sorry, Olympics end tomorrow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    The meanie pants meanie heads that did my rota this month (and next month come to think about it) have decided I want to work a lot. And not have Saturdays off.
    Well that sounds mean of them! You should buy more cats <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Asked to sign up after last game, requesting to sign up again...

Man this last page is like.. attack of the ultra-nerds, what the fuck.