Silicon Valley invents plant-based meat patty

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/...zles-like-meat

This summer, diners in New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles will get their hands on a hamburger that has been five years in the making.

The burger looks, tastes and smells like beef — except it's made entirely from plants. It sizzles on the grill and even browns and oozes fat when it cooks. It's the brainchild of former Stanford biochemist Patrick Brown and his research team at Northern California-based Impossible Foods.

The startup's goal is like many in Silicon Valley — to create a product that will change the world.

"The demand for meat is going through the roof, and the world is not going to be able to satisfy that using animals — there's just not enough space, not enough water," says Brown, Impossible Foods' founder and CEO.

Global meat production is expected to increase by 612,000 tons, or 1 percent, this year, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.

So Impossible Foods has developed a burger that it says is less resource-intensive, healthier and will eventually be cheaper to produce than red meat.
    Vegans are really sticking it to the Meat Industry it seems. Although, I'm guessing that proteins from animal foods are always going to be preferable over plant-based proteins as they are easier to digest. I'm just really scared of the day where meat might be gone from our grocery stores and restaurants, ya know.

If vegan foods are so good then why do they go through all the trouble to make it taste like meat.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by I Regret Nothing View Post
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/...zles-like-meat

Vegans are really sticking it to the Meat Industry it seems. Although, I'm guessing that proteins from animal foods are always going to be preferable over plant-based proteins as they are easier to digest. I'm just really scared of the day where meat might be gone from our grocery stores and restaurants, ya know.
    You're aware majority of these 'vegie meats' aren't popular among vegans let alone the mass market, your fears are unfounded

10+ Year Old Account
    "The demand for meat is going through the roof, and the world is not going to be able to satisfy that using animals — there's just not enough space, not enough water," says Brown, Impossible Foods' founder and CEO.
    So this is basically synthetic "meat" for poor people.

7+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I've tried things like this before and they're nasty. I'm all for the artifically grown meat though. They have actually made burgers out of completely artificial meat (grown in a lab). It's not cost effective yet, but once it is, sign me up.

If they can actually make these "plant burgers" taste like meat (so far they haven't despite their claims), then that'd be ok too.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Eh, I've tried things like this before and they're nasty. I'm all for the artifically grown meat though. They have actually made burgers out of completely artificial meat (grown in a lab). It's not cost effective yet, but once it is, sign me up.

If they can actually make these "plant burgers" taste like meat (so far they haven't despite their claims), then that'd be ok too.
    Yeah I'm not against these vegan "meats" at all but every single one of them tastes nothing like real meat. They can't even get the freaking texture right. Make me good vegan food and stop trying to make meat. There is plenty of good food that can be done vegan, why waste time trying to make "meat" that tastes la crap.