Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    There has been talk about creating such a space launch system on the moon. On Earth it's totally impossible though, too much air resistance.

- - - Updated - - -

The low pressure environment is created by basically redirecting the air in the tube with a turbine in the front and using it to form a cushion that levitates the capsule, thus eliminating friction from wheels. Therefore a vacuum isn't really needed.
    ahh okay, than I stand corrected. I'm not to familiar with the inner workings of such a device

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    well like the old saying goes, nature abhors a vacuum.
    It's not a real vacuum though. It's artificially pumping the air out. It's not a "pure" vacuum, if you will. I thought it was merely a "low pressure" environment, not a true vacuum. At least, that's my understanding of it, and I certainly could be wrong.

There has been talk about creating such a space launch system on the moon. On Earth it's totally impossible though, too much air resistance.
    That is not entirely true depending how close the mountain is to the outer atmospere it may not matter, also the shape of the vehicle could assist as well.

Futurama will start in Russia :P

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    That is not entirely true depending how close the mountain is to the outer atmospere it may not matter, also the shape of the vehicle could assist as well.
    Maybe so, but a space launch system would work better on the moon as a midway point between lunar space and interplanetary space.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    Seems good, althought it seems a little claustrophobic in those tubes and going to the toilet is a big no. Also, if you have an accident its literally 0% survival rate, happy days!
    The Hyperloop is a totally closed system with autonomous control. Accidents are incredibly unlikely to happen. It's probably the safest means of transport ever.

Maybe so, but a space launch system would work better on the moon as a midway point between lunar space and interplanetary space
    With nearly indestructible materials like Graphine it will also make things a lot more viable.

With nearly indestructible materials like Graphine it will also make things a lot more viable.
    Yeah, but we still don't have any reliable method to mass produce Graphene. Unfortunately.

Yeah, but we still don't have any reliable method to mass produce Graphene. Unfortunately.
    There are a bunch of factories around the world developing methods, we just have to wait now. Canada invented a nano weaving machine so that will be the first place I would assume they would look.

There are a bunch of factories around the world developing methods, we just have to wait now. Canada invented a nano weaving machine so that will be the first place I would assume they would look.
    It's all about getting the price down, so this is a nice step forward I guess