Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ...
    Egalitarianism is something that cannot ever be achieved. Human beings are naturally unequal. Right down to the personal level. One person has a certain skill set. Another has a different skill set. These two individuals are unequal and never will be equal.

Now yes, everyone deserves an equal opportunity to make something of themselves, but that's where that ought to end. Egalitarian philosophy is fundamentally unsustainable once it runs into the realities of ingrained human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Disreali View Post
    Egalitarianism is something that cannot ever be achieved. Human beings are naturally unequal. Right down to the personal level. One person has a certain skill set. Another has a different skill set. These two individuals are unequal and never will be equal.

Now yes, everyone deserves an equal opportunity to make something of themselves, but that's where that ought to end. Egalitarian philosophy is fundamentally unsustainable once it runs into the realities of ingrained human nature.
    Egalitarianism as a political practice is more than feasible. Its only if were diving into the social policy that its problematic. Recognition of everyones legal equality, and inherently understanding equality of opportunity, should be the base of all governments. Unfortunately, I don't think Democracy handles that very well.

10+ Year Old Account
    With all this talk of being egalitarians you would think that they would be able to solve all of the problems that plague us today correct? Everyone should automatically be of an egalitarian mindset but you can't help everyone at the same damn time.

Like someone pointed out earlier in this thread, the term is extremely broad. How do we solve certain social problems and what order do we solve them in? There's a reason why people rally under these numerous labels today and while I don't agree with labeling in general, I can relate to these groups and understand why this stuff happens. It's to feel powerful and to feel like a fight and a difference is being made. Hell it explains why there is no such thing as an egalitarian movement because it already states the obvious. equality of treatment and opportunity.

The ones that strive for equality are the ones that feel like they got the short end of the social stick. People that are content with their lives usually don't put up a fight against the system or society yet label themselves egalitarian because it's the easiest thing to do without actually making any sort of difference. Shit the people of the civil rights movement didn't call themselves egalitarian. They just wanted to get black people equal to white people in a time where they were less likely to be employed, couldn't vote, couldn't go to good schools, were kicked out of establishments based on who they were. They didn't really fight for white people but a good amount of white people fought for and with them and they got shit done.

Quote Originally Posted by Goobadin View Post
    Egalitarianism as a political practice is more than feasible. Its only if were diving into the social policy that its problematic. Recognition of everyones legal equality, and inherently understanding equality of opportunity, should be the base of all governments. Unfortunately, I don't think Democracy handles that very well.
    Social policy is what I was getting at. Should everyone have equal opportunity and be viewed equally before the law? Absolutely. And yeah, democracy has its own inherent limitations.