Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Why do people...?

Why do people always hate on Jaina Proudmoore so much she's my favorite lore character alliance-neutral side people keep saying she's gonna be a dreadlord or turn evil i really hope this is not the case cause i don't ever wanna have to relive that nightmare of killing her again even though the echo of her in end time wasn't really her it felt like it tore me apart.. so yeah i kinda hope we never have to kill her or any of my favorite other lore characters.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

i'll bite.

theres a difference between having a favourite character and being a fanboy. jainas been going down the sinkhole ever since mop when she turned into her father. she is now nothing more than a conspiracy theorist crazy old water elemental lady.

Feels like the most obvious troll topic there could be.

People don't like Jaina because she's wildly inconsistent and doesn't really have a place in the story. She flip flops between ideals and moods. If they revealed that she had multiple personality disorder, it wouldn't shock anybody.

I still really like Jaina's character.

One of the most popular reasons I've seen that people use to hate on Jaina is that she's basically the only character in the entire Warcraft franchise that has had more than one lover, and a lot of people like to slut-shame.

Jaina has been one of my favorite character since Warcraft 3, and the grave-train of hate for her has existed as long as she's been around. Her getting angry at the Horde was just small potatoes compared to the amount of shit she gets for just being a woman. I've seen people call Jaina a bad character because she broke up with Arthas. Because Jaina doesn't sleep with Thrall. Because Jaina has too many male friends. Because Jaina is too old for a woman, ect.

Jaina gets flack for being "weak" to some people because she's (was) a pacifist. I've also seen people hate on her for being "old." Because mature women in video games aren't a common thing I guess, and some people get offended by that. It still blows my mind that Overwatch actually launched with 3 women older than 30 in their main roster. Mercy (37), Widowmaker (33), and Pharah (32).

----

On the flip-side. Jaina going berserk and becoming aggressive has fixed her "being weak" problem to some people, but then others claim it's weak character development. It would be a real shame to see Jaina go evil, because she's literally the most developed female character the Alliance has.

Just a side-note for wishful thinking, but I would one day like to see Jaina outshine Khadgar as the most powerful mage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seifross View Post
    Feels like the most obvious troll topic there could be.

People don't like Jaina because she's wildly inconsistent and doesn't really have a place in the story. She flip flops between ideals and moods. If they revealed that she had multiple personality disorder, it wouldn't shock anybody.
    Jaina is in a position of leadership, and it should be understandable for her character's personality to change drastically when a drastic event happens like her city getting wiped out.

Isn't that basically the premises for any major comic book character? Batman was just some spoiled kid until his parents ate the big one and then he changed. Similar thing with Spiderman. I'm sure both of those characters have their own "mood-swings" between trying to preserve peace and amount of aggression that's required to get there. Jaina essentially has PTSD now which is a real thing that writers should consider when developing her character. If she came out of Theramore acting like nothing happened and remained the same it would imply that she's a psychopath without empathy for the people who died.

7+ Year Old Account
    People hate Jaina because she's hiding her boobs and ass behind mage robe - unlike Sylvanas who run in battle strings.

On serious note - she became grey character. Not all have brains to feel and understand grey characters so its cause pain for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hatchet View Post
    I still really like Jaina's character.

One of the most popular reasons I've seen that people use to hate on Jaina is that she's basically the only character in the entire Warcraft franchise that has had more than one lover, and a lot of people like to slut-shame.

Jaina has been one of my favorite character since Warcraft 3, and the grave-train of hate for her has existed as long as she's been around. Her getting angry at the Horde was just small potatoes compared to the amount of shit she gets for just being a woman. I've seen people call Jaina a bad character because she broke up with Arthas. Because Jaina doesn't sleep with Thrall. Because Jaina has too many male friends. Because Jaina is too old for a woman, ect.

Jaina gets flack for being "weak" to some people because she's (was) a pacifist. I've also seen people hate on her for being "old." Because mature women in video games aren't a common thing I guess, and some people get offended by that. It still blows my mind that Overwatch actually launched with 3 women older than 30 in their main roster. Mercy (37), Widowmaker (33), and Pharah (32).

----

On the flip-side. Jaina going berserk and becoming aggressive has fixed her "being weak" problem to some people, but then others claim it's weak character development. It would be a real shame to see Jaina go evil, because she's literally the most developed female character the Alliance has.

Just a side-note for wishful thinking, but I would one day like to see Jaina outshine Khadgar as the most powerful mage.

- - - Updated - - -

Jaina is in a position of leadership, and it should be understandable for her character's personality to change drastically when a drastic event happens like her city getting wiped. Isn't that basically the premises for any major comic book character? Batman was just some spoiled kid until his parents ate the big one and then he changed. Similar thing with Spiderman. I'm sure both of those characters have their own "mood-swings" between trying to preserve peace and amount of aggression that's required to get there. Jaina essentially has PTSD now which is a real thing that writers should consider when developing her character. If she came out of Theramore acting like nothing happened and remained the same it would imply that she's a psychopath without empathy for the people who died.

Ok... I have never ONCE heard of anyone slut-shaming her. That argument is absurd and terrible. Like, you should feel bad, levels of terrible.

The "Shes old and no one likes old women" argument is on the same level. The only reference to Old i have EVER heard was in reference to her AS A CHARACTER. the persons argument was that he didnt like the same characters being re-used time and again.

People hate her because she used to be a fan favorite and then went total Psycho-mage. She went from being an honest good character to a terrible, disgusting, and vile "I WANT TO MURDER AND ENSLAVE THEM ALL" character. People hate her attitude and demeanor.
    Last edited by Grimcreaper; 2016-06-26 at 07:15 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwhale View Post
    People hate Jaina because she's hiding her boobs and ass behind mage robe - unlike Sylvanas who run in battle strings.

On serious note - she became grey character. Not all have brains to feel and understand grey characters so its cause pain for them.
    finally someone who understand me
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get it either. I guess it's because with so many easy characters, Jaina's complicated character becomes to difficult to understand, automatically making her evil or stupid to some people.

That, and because the majority of those people are hordies and feel bad for what happened in Dalaran.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimcreaper View Post
    Ok... I have never ONCE heard of anyone slut-shaming her. That argument is absurd and terrible. Like, you should feel bad, levels of terrible.

The "Shes old and no one likes old women" argument is on the same level. The only reference to Old i have EVER heard was in reference to her AS A CHARACTER. the persons argument was that he didnt like the same characters being re-used time and again.

People hate her because she used to be a fan favorite and then went total Psycho-mage. She went from being an honest good character to a terrible, disgusting, and vile "I WANT TO MURDER AND ENSLAVE THEM ALL" character. People hate her attitude and demeanor.
    I was just listing off reasons why other people have stated they hated her. I'm honestly surprised that you've never seen someone make a joke about her sexuality. Maybe you just avoid trade chat when Jaina's name comes up. Again, I never said I hated her, or that I support any of the reasons other people hate her, so if you think those arguments are terrible than it's because they're terrible. Terrible people use slut-shaming as an excuse to hate characters. You shouldn't be surprised that terrible people have terrible ideas.

Anyways, the OP asked why people hated Jaina and I listed all the reasons I've heard that other people hate Jaina. I like Jaina and defend her character, so I often have debates in her defense to counter terrible excuses like sexism and ageism.

Just like now how I have to stress that any reasonable person could easily go crazy if their town was nuked. Jaina is complex, and sometimes stories demand that character suffer setbacks or become unlikable at times. That's good writing. If the character was perfect all the time regardless of her circumstances then she would be a Mary-Sue. Even Starcraft's Kerrigan suffered some setbacks and became everything negative you listed and then managed to redeem herself at the end. Jaina's story is far from finished.

I personally don't hate Jaina, but i also can't jump on the bandwagon and love her. She used to be a genuinely good character, and every story needs one. You can't have an endless stream of Hamlets in a good story since they'll be vying too much for the spotlight. So a simple good character was needed. When she got a bit stale (read "did nothing for three expansions straight") they decided she finally had to grow. And she didn't. When someone drops a bomb on your island, you go angry. And you stay angry for a bit more than 50 pages. She didn't. One patch later, angry again, this time for the wrong reasons, and purged Dalaran in a move that even Varian hated. And since then time and time again she does the wrong thing for the wrong reasons. By Legion, she's nowhere near a gray character, she's about as one-dimensional as you can get. I wouldn't be surprised if the end of the Broken Shore has the Horde overwhelmed and forced to retreat, and she sees that as betrayal. Her entire thing has become "if a tree falls in the forest but no one is around to see it, it's the Horde's fault".

Great, another Jaina thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dartz1979 View Post
    Why do people always hate on Jaina Proudmoore so much she's my favorite lore character alliance-neutral side people keep saying she's gonna be a dreadlord or turn evil i really hope this is not the case cause i don't ever wanna have to relive that nightmare of killing her again even though the echo of her in end time wasn't really her it felt like it tore me apart.. so yeah i kinda hope we never have to kill her or any of my favorite other lore characters.
    They do it because she's your favourite. It has nothing to do with her as a character, its explicitly because collectively everyone knows how upset it makes you.

Deleted
    Jaina is a strong, independent woman who needs no man.

So she sleeps around.

In seriousness, I don't hate Jaina's character. I don't even dislike her, but I don't like her either as I used to be. People try to appear informed and literate by spouting nonsense like "she's a grey character" while in reality she is a very fickle, wishy-washy crone that just needs to be offed at this point for any kind of character salvation and redemption.

p.s posting in a troll topic.
    Last edited by mmoc4dd871e486; 2016-06-26 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalecgos the Spellweaver View Post
    Jaina is a strong, independent woman who needs no man.

[SPOILER]So she sleeps around.[/SPOILERS]

In seriousness, I don't hate Jaina's character. I don't even dislike her, but I don't like her either as I used to be. People try to appear informed and literate by spouting nonsense like "she's a grey character" while in reality she is a very fickle, wishy-washy crone that just needs to be offed at this point for any kind of character salvation and redemption.

p.s posting in a troll topic.
    nothing wrong with biting now and then.

She used her city to invade the Barrens, her city got nuked, then she got pissed. Being mad is natural, but she kind of had that coming.

7+ Year Old Account
    The "Jaina is a dreadlord" meme originated with Jesse Cox and it was his way of making fun of how terribly written she has been the past few years. It is not supposed to be taken literally.

I like her until this "Purge from Dalaran" thing happen. End for me here.

I can understand with this thing in Theramore. Ok , she just build one ugly road.
    But she used whole NEUTRAL Kirin tor for Alliance and then start killing belfs because Aethas did the same for his people. Seriously, fu*k her.
    Last edited by Artelia; 2016-06-26 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    The "Jaina is a dreadlord" meme originated with Jesse Cox and it was his way of making fun of how terribly written she has been the past few years. It is not supposed to be taken literally.
    Says the guy who is a dreadlord. Of course you'd want to protect one of your kind.

Horde and Blood Elf fans who've had the story telling them since Cataclysm (Vanilla if you're Forsaken) that despite all the evil the Horde commits it's some scapegoat's fault and they're totally the good guys, honest! Go and slaughter those people who aren't the aggressors! LOK'TAR! So obviously an Alliance character actually calling out their bullshit deeply offends them for some reason and thus she MUST be evil.

Blood Elf fans are fanatics on a whole other level, almost as bad as diehard Sylvanas fanboys, which is why we had three endless years of them crying "THE PURGE WAS LITERALLY AZEROTH'S HOLOCAUST ONLY WORSE!"

People equate a character disliking the Horde as bad writing. Pretty much all of WoW is awfully written, Jaina's not an exception to that, but she's certainly not the worst case by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigby View Post
    Horde and Blood Elf fans who've had the story telling them since Cataclysm (Vanilla if you're Forsaken) that despite all the evil the Horde commits it's some scapegoat's fault and they're totally the good guys, honest! Go and slaughter those people who aren't the aggressors! LOK'TAR! So obviously an Alliance character actually calling out their bullshit deeply offends them for some reason and thus she MUST be evil.

Blood Elf fans are fanatics on a whole other level, almost as bad as diehard Sylvanas fanboys, which is why we had three endless years of them crying "THE PURGE WAS LITERALLY AZEROTH'S HOLOCAUST ONLY WORSE!"

People equate a character disliking the Horde as bad writing. Pretty much all of WoW is awfully written, Jaina's not an exception to that, but she's certainly not the worst case by a long shot.
    So...it's about killing innocent civilians because they are part of a race because hypocrite and crazy reaction. Noting more...