Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Literally none of the examples I just used involved the US or even modern day nations. It was Revolutionary France, The British Empire, the Ottoman Empire, and the USSR. I didn't think I needed to spell it out, but apparently I do.

Massive empires are not a new thing. They go back many thousands of years.
    Yes, and if you do a comparitive analysis of the belligerence of massive empires versus city/feudal/provincial states one tends to find that empires are significantly less warlike.

Even moreso these days because warfare is no longer profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Yes, and if you do a comparitive analysis of the belligerence of massive empires versus city/feudal/provincial states one tends to find that empires are significantly less warlike.

Even moreso these days because warfare is no longer profitable.
    And yet it's the large nations in the west that are doing all the wars while the little nations are just sitting around minding their own business.

10+ Year Old Account
    Literally none of the examples I just used involved the US or even modern day nations. It was Revolutionary France, The British Empire, the Ottoman Empire, and the USSR. I didn't think I needed to spell it out, but apparently I do.

Massive empires are not a new thing. They go back many thousands of years.
    Because modern democracies are obviously equivalent to ancient autocratic empires.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Because modern democracies are obviously equivalent to ancient autocratic empires.

Also implying it's any more difficult to stir up belligerence in democracies than in autocracies. 'Democratic Peace' is largely bunk.

And yet it's the large nations in the west that are doing all the wars while the little nations are just sitting around minding their own business.
    Only if you fit the world into your cognitive dissonance.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I wonder why the large nations with global political and economic interests are more likely involved to be in conflicts in a global context.

The small nations aren't warlike because there's nothing to be gained in being belligerent when your neighbour is at least ten times larger than you. If everyone is as small as Luxembourg, then you get classical Greece or feudal Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Only if you fit the world into your cognitive dissonance.
    Oh, oh, please tell me what wars the little European nations have started in the last 50 years.

Yes, I wonder why the large nations with global political and economic interests are more likely involved to be in conflicts in a global context.

The small nations aren't warlike because there's nothing to be gained in being belligerent when your neighbour is at least ten times larger than you. If everyone is as small as Luxembourg, then you get classical Greece or feudal Europe.
    Oh, then I expect eastern Europe is a hotbed for conflict because the nations out there are relatively similar in size. Oh wait, it isn't.

Deleted
    We need to kill Globalism.

Oh, oh, please tell me what wars the little European nations have started in the last 50 years.
    For starters all of the Balkan conflicts, can't blame those on the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Bring back Flat Earthism!

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    For starters all of the Balkan conflicts, can't blame those on the US.
    You're right, that was the USSR's area of influence. I didn't say the US was the only large nation messing with things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, then I expect eastern Europe is a hotbed for conflict because the nations out there are relatively similar in size. Oh wait, it isn't.
    You mean Eastern Europe where most of the nations have been absorbed into either NATO or the EU proper?

Not a good example compared to say, Africa.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Considering it benefits the vast majority of people, no.

You're right, that was the USSR's area of influence. I didn't say the US was the only large nation messing with things.
    Yugoslavia was not a Soviet client, and in any event all of those wars took place after the collapse of the USSR, so can hardly be blamed on foreign meddling. The blame for all of that death and destruction lies squarely with ethnic nationalism and all the nastiness that comes along with it.

The moment when you equate having a large landmass with being a "large nation".

In the meantime, we are all talking about large nations being among those with the most influence in the world.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Most of those have existed for much longer than 100 years. A couple of them like the Czech Republic and Slovakia had previous nations for their people groups like Bohemia and Moravia.
    No they haven't. You're basically making up your own definition as you go along to fit your narrative. Legally, constitutionally, all of those countries haven't existed for more than 100 years. Culturally, they haven't existed for more than a hundred years, either. Not in their current state. Large parts of Poland were German for crying out loud. Bohemia (parts of Czech Republic) were German. Russia underwent not just one, but two radical cultural and political revolutions in the past 100 years. It's hardly the same that the old Tsar Empire was.

You're really just having your own definition of what you think "a country" is, but it's a very subjective one that has no basis in politics or legal arguments.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    The moment when you equate having a large landmass with being a "large nation".

In the meantime, we are all talking about large nations being among those with the most influence in the world.
    The USSR didn't have a lot of influence in the world? The fuck?

Yugoslavia was not a Soviet client, and in any event all of those wars took place after the collapse of the USSR, so can hardly be blamed on foreign meddling. The blame for all of that death and destruction lies squarely with ethnic nationalism and all the nastiness that comes along with it.
    Yugoslavia was formed from parts of the former Austrian and Ottoman empires, who were also major powers in their day. And it was also civil war because of different cultural groups trying to gain independence.

Eastern Europe has been fucked over a lot, many times over by major powers.

No they haven't. You're basically making up your own definition as you go along to fit your narrative. Legally, constitutionally, all of those countries haven't existed for more than 100 years. Culturally, they haven't existed for more than a hundred years, either. Not in their current state. Large parts of Poland were German for crying out loud. Bohemia (parts of Czech Republic) were German. Russia underwent not just one, but two radical cultural and political revolutions in the past 100 years. It's hardly the same that the old Tsar Empire was.

You're really just having your own definition of what you think "a country" is, but it's a very subjective one that has no basis in politics or legal arguments.
    Right, ok, Austria didn't exist until less than 100 years ago and therefore WW1 didn't happen. Got it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yugoslavia was formed from parts of the former Austrian and Ottoman empires, who were also major powers in their day. And it was also civil war because of different cultural groups trying to gain independence.
    And after they gained independence they were free to oppress themselves and wage war amongst each other for petty and silly reasons.

Right, ok, Austria didn't exist until less than 100 years ago and therefore WW1 didn't happen. Got it.
    'Austria' as a cultural entity did not, it was primarily German.

Deleted
    Yeah because America's vision was a super great idea - let's be Europerica.
    So basically what i see in the future is that every globe we occupy has to be under earth rule. Every solar system. Every galaxy. Every multiverse. WHEN WILL IT STOP! hahaha FOR THE PROFIT!

That was Austria-Hungary. And after that Austria existed for a brief time until they were gobbled up by Germany. The Austria you know today? After WW2.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

This is what Austria looked like 100 years ago...

When the empire was broken up into neat little ethnically homogenous nation states, what do you think happened to all the people who lived in the "wrong" area?

Deleted
    Big guy: "Hey mister! You are my friend right?"

smaller guy: "Uhm, sure?"

Big guy: "Be like me! It is profitable and gives power!".