Deleted

upgrading GPU and monitor for 1440p

Hello,

I want to upgrade my system to be able to play wow (and only wow) on 1440p.

My current specs:
    i5 3750k
    8GB RAM
    GTX 660
    24 inch 1080p 60Hz

At first I need a recommendation as in is it a good idea to go to 144Hz? Does someone has it and could say something about it?

Currently I am looking for a GTX 1070 as I really like Nvidia and I personally dont want to wait for a custom RX480 which will probably not be around before Legion.

But if I take the Nvidia way, I need to take a monitor with G-Sync aswell dont I?
    In Germany the 1070 and a Dell 27inch monitor with 144Hz go for ~1000€.

On the other side:
    AMD RX 480 + 27 inch Freesync monitor ~ 600€

So, end of story:
    I know there are no benchmarks yet, but is the RX480 able to play wow at ultra on 1440p at 144Hz? (Can the 390x achive this?)
    If not, I may have to get the GTX 1070 instead.

Additional question:
    TN panel or IPS panel? Is the IPS worth the higher price?

Best regards

G-sync or freesync are not mandatory but nice to have, 144 Hz is nice but then again if all you play is wow you wont see much improvement gameplay wise (for as little as there is to be gained with other games), I would advise image quality b4 speed.

If you want to got 1440p I would advise to get a nice 27 inch monitor, you can go 16:9 or even 21:9 depending on how wide you like your screen to be.

I have 2 Asus 1440p IPS screens, my old one, now 2ndary monitor which is a regular 60 Hz one PB278 and the new one PG279 which is 144Hz both work fine for wow but on the new one is nicer for faster paced games, can't wait for my new GTX1080 to truly start taking advantage of the new screen.

Deleted
    I'd love to see some informed discussion on this very subject too.

I'll start the ball rolling by saying if you want to raid in wow any monitor will not be getting a steady 100+ fps so you'll not be making much use of all those 144hz.

Battlefield one (for example) is probably a different story.

(I should say I tend to prefer fps > gfx quality > res. I was the person who would turn textures off in quake to get higher fps)
    Last edited by mmocf0b29d4c77; 2016-06-27 at 08:39 PM.

Forget gsync/freesync the true game changer is lightboost:

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/lightboost/

For sub 200 bucks you can get a superior experience to a 700 dollar asus:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._3d_ready.html

Yes of course the asus supports lightboost but you cant have gsync and lightboost enabled at the same time, and most would turn on gsync cause they just spent a months rent for it.

Trust, get cheapest 144hz with lightboost support and thank me later (yes, even in MMO's this is VERY noticeable).

Deleted
    That link seems to light boost is for 3 only?

Ignore me it works for 2d. Going to read it properly this time.

Yup forget about 3d, lightboost can be tweaked to work in 2d mode to give the smoothness that CRT's could give.

Deleted
    Would love to see this in action in person. I'll pop down to my local pc world for a demo ; (

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Would love to see this in action in person. I'll pop down to my local pc world for a demo ; (
    That's always a good idea.

Deleted
    If all you will play with it is WoW, get a good 1440p@60Hz IPS monitor.

Deleted
    I doubt pc world can demo even if they have any. Scan isn't far might pop up there for a look.