Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I think people's biggest hang up with BET is the B in it's name. I don't hear people complaining about Death metal radio stations, Country Music stations, or even RnB and Hip Hop stations. But because they called it Black Entertainment Television, it somehow worse, then if it had the same content and called "anything TV"

I'll agree BET didn't help itself, has many of the shows just painted the same stereotypes they were trying to get away from. But would we be eqully mad if they had a Scottish Entertainment Televison channel?
    Well, I can confirm there would be some people like me. Ones fascinated by people who claim to hate stereotyping but eat up stereotypical sitcom shit. (See also: Tyler Perry)

My hang up is that I'm certain no amount of black programming on all channels will satisfy the complainers. It's the same reason you can expect pity awards for black actors to ward off BLM.

Holy shit the facepalm is real. There is almost double deaths from police for whites compared to blacks. And what the hell do you expect when police roll up on any shitty neighborhood where crime is already high? Mistakes are going to happen. It deserves to be looked at I can agree, but the "Grey's Anatomy" star is a complete idiot. Also, is first page of this thread seriously a virtue signaling contest on who is the most unarmed, most oppressed victim? Disgusting. Someone needs to link the "how to not get beat up by police" video from chris rock. That works pretty well

10+ Year Old Account
    More white people are killed than black people when adjusting for both population and violence crime.

/thread

- - - Updated - - -

And on a side note, black people pushing the idea of a 'shared experience' only opens the ethnicity to rational generalization. Not a great strategy if your goal is to end ethnic generalizations.

When a group is the target of discrimination, they have two options: promote solidarity and shared experience, thus justifying the discrimination by granting it rational grounds; or place a focus on the experience of the individual, thus allowing for condemnation of the act while avoiding self-inflicted generalizations.
    Last edited by Underverse; 2016-06-28 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Well, I can confirm there would be some people like me. Ones fascinated by people who claim to hate stereotyping but eat up stereotypical sitcom shit. (See also: Tyler Perry)

My hang up is that I'm certain no amount of black programming on all channels will satisfy the complainers. It's the same reason you can expect pity awards for black actors to ward off BLM.
    Thanks to the internet, that isn't true anymore. BET was more popular for music, rather than, "omg people that look like me!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Fix the cancer that is the thug culture, watch less black people die.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Until we stop calling ourselves 'Black", "White", "Hispanics", etc. and just settle on American things won't change....
    You would need to start by getting rid of all the programs and organizations that exist for race based support.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    And you're missing that the caller said, more than once, that the gun looked fake. You're also missing that they shot the kid while driving up, without even a moment to investigate. Neither officer bothered to administer any first aid after shooting him. How can you defend them?
    But you're also missing the part where the officers weren't informed it was fake, as well as the part where the kid was reaching for his waistband. Darsithis, you are a smart guy, put two and two together here, you are informed someone has a gun and then you see them reach for their waist band as you pull up to them.... what do you think the cops were expecting?

- - - Updated - - -

I also want to add that Jesse Williams sounds like a complete moron. Half of the speech was racist white bashing, implying that if you engage in any sort of "black activity" that you are under some unwritten contract to support nonsense like black lives matter. If a white person expected black people to support all of their causes under similar conditions, we'd be hearing cries of racism non-stop.

Not to mention, isn't BET owned by white people? So he sounds awfully hypocritical saying that on that platform. Well not to mention the name of the channel is "Black Entertainment Tevelevsion". But anyways, how come this guy doesn't mention anything about black and black violence?

All Jesse is displaying is the "us vs. them" mentality, as long as wacky resentments towards whites are pretty much given the thumbs up by the left, this type of racial divide will still occur. Don't get me wrong, shit like the KKK exists, but most white people do not have a problem with black people, the only ones we dislike are gang members/drug dealers/robbers/etc.... and not because they are black, we dislike people of any color that behave that way.
    Last edited by RickJamesLich; 2016-06-28 at 04:43 AM.

I played with toy guns all over my neighborhood. Then again, I'm asian and my friends were white.

Black people stub their toe and get national news coverage and immediate attention of the authority to correct it. White kids slain by police get swept under the rug by news and no punishment at all for the officers who do it.

And I get that, he had what looked like a gun, they made a decision. I'm talking about how they did it while driving up and they decided to not even administer any first aid. That's about as cruel and callous as you can get.
    So they should have done what? Waited until he fired a shot at them?
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    You don't think they couldn't have taken just a moment to say "hands up" or "on the ground" before they shot a 12-year-old kid?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    America has a Black Entertainment Television channel!

I can understand foreign language channels, but why do you have colour segregated TV channels?
    It's not like it's government sponsored. Someone wanted a channel, demonstrated there was a market and programming to support it, and it got made. Same reason there's a cartoon channel or a classic movies channel.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

And you're missing that the caller said, more than once, that the gun looked fake. You're also missing that they shot the kid while driving up, without even a moment to investigate. Neither officer bothered to administer any first aid after shooting him. How can you defend them?
    It doesn't matter if the gun looks fake. Under most state law, a fake gun is a real gun when used to threaten or intimidate. If you walk into a bank with a banana in your pocket, and tell the teller that you have a gun and are robbing the bank it's no different than if you walk in with an assault rifle and say you're robbing the bank.

Separate the lack of first aid from the shooting, because the two things are unrelated. They can be justified in shooting him, and negligent for not administering first aid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Give him his space to do as his needs, obvs.

One white kid being shot doesn't make up for the statistics that show that african-americans are far more likely to be treated with deadly force, which was Jesse William's point. We're not comparing tit for tat, we're talking about how an entire group of people literally fears being seen by the police because of systemic racism and persecution that has turned fatal far too often.
    Maybe they need to stop being so high in the crime statistics then?

"Black culture" needs to distance itself from "thug culture" and "victim culture".

Otherwise, I just can't take any of its claims seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe not drive right up to an "armed" suspect without first seeing exactly whats going on. Those cops could have been seriously fucked if that was an actual gun and a really violent criminal that decided to open fire while they were driving up. Screams untrained to get right in the face of an armed suspect before you even have your weapon drawn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I think people's biggest hang up with BET is the B in it's name. I don't hear people complaining about Death metal radio stations, Country Music stations, or even RnB and Hip Hop stations. But because they called it Black Entertainment Television, it somehow worse, then if it had the same content and called "anything TV"
    But things like Death Metal, Country Music, Hip Hop, ec. are clearly aimed at a genre and people of all walks of life who like that genre, e.g. I was a big fan of Beastie Boys and Run DMC, so would have watched to a Hip Hop channel in preference to a Country Music channel. In comparison, a Black channel is obviously aimed directly at black people.

I'll agree BET didn't help itself, has many of the shows just painted the same stereotypes they were trying to get away from. But would we be eqully mad if they had a Scottish Entertainment Televison channel?
    I doubt a Scottish Entertainment Channel would have proved popular, there is only so much highland dancing and sectarian chanting that people can handle.

Don't forget that the officer who shot was considered a hopeless case who couldn't be trained, yet magically ended up on duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I played with toy guns all over my neighborhood. Then again, I'm asian and my friends were white.
    My friend got picked up from the cops for having a toy gun that shot those big puffy darts. Even had the big ass orange tip, and he was a fat white kid with glasses. He went through the whole deal of having 3 officers surround him with pistols ready. Luckily, he was smart enough to not goof around and did what the officers told him to. If we drummed up every incident where shit happens, it seems like an epidemic when reality, it's business as usual. Remember that shark attack panic a few years ago? Yeah, no different from years prior, media just drummed it up to get views. Racial tensions are emotionally charged subject and yes, there could be something, but this entire spiel about how cops just go out to shoot black people is stupid.
    Your powers are useless on me you silly billy...