The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Upgrading some computer parts , need advice

hi
    i am currently debating on upgrading some computer parts in terms of GPU, RAM and monitor

for ram im thinking of getting approx 2x of these or 2x of these
    as for GPU im now debating running the gtx 970 SLI

and as for monitor im thinking of a 4k monitor like this one to replace my 21" dual monitors

let me know whether i can change something

cheers !
    Last edited by chrykoolaid; 2016-06-28 at 11:07 AM.

What exactly are you planning to use your PC for? a 4k monitor may be impractical for you. What CPU/Mobo/PSU are you running? Not all motherboards will support 32Gb of ram. And you shouldn't buy two 970s. If you're going to buy two 970s buy a 1070/1080.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    as mobo i got a asus maximus v gene , psu i got Thermaltake 750W Toughpower Gold , Intel Core i5 3570K is my cpu, i may only just use 16gb ram instead of 32 if it doesn't support 32gb

Your cpu should serve you fine. I would definitely recommend getting a single stronger card over sli anything right now. IE my above post a 1070/1080. The Mobo supports a maximum of 32GB of ram but you'll see no significant performance increase with that. 16GB is pretty common... 32 only if your workload demands it. Which returns the question, what are you planning to do with your PC?
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2016-06-28 at 11:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a heads up that running games on a 4K-monitor will mean that for the foreseeable future, whenever a new generation of GPUs are out, you will be standing first in line to upgrade.

Make sure the UHD/4K monitor supports 1:4 pixel mapping so that you in worst case can play games in 1080p without them looking distorted.

Also, agreed. Multi GPUs future does look a little iffy. Seeing as it might become the game devs responsibility to support it, and it's not that lucrative for them to do so. I'd maybe stay away from SLI/Crossfire for now.
    Last edited by Wries; 2016-06-28 at 11:26 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Your cpu should serve you fine. I would definitely recommend getting a single stronger card over sli anything right now. IE my above post a 1070/1080. The Mobo supports a maximum of 32GB of ram but you'll see no significant performance increase with that. 16GB is pretty common... 32 only if your workload demands it. With returns the question, what are you planning to do with your PC?
    mostly multiboxing for the most part

Quote Originally Posted by chrykoolaid View Post
    Good choice my friend! In that case your CPU will be your bottleneck. But you should still be okay as long as you aren't expecting to run on ultra at 4k. with multiple wows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrykoolaid View Post
    Now that sort of changes things. Then you should instead perhaps make sure that the monitor supports dual inputs (displayed side by side), HAVE multiple graphics cards, NOT putting them in SLI-mode but have half the clients rendered on one GPU and other half on the others.

I know for instance that my Philips 40" BDM4065UC supports 4-way input, so that you could essentially have 4 "virtual monitors" (two by displayport, two by HDMI) at 1080p together making up the uhd space. It's 40 inches so beware, but maybe that's perfect for multiboxing?
    Last edited by Wries; 2016-06-28 at 11:36 AM. Reason: grammmmmarrrr

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cool , in terms of ram out of the two linked which one should I go for ?

The DDR3 since your mobo does not support DDR4