Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    As is being described, "Titanforged" is not some fixed item level result, but is more a tag on item like you would have the tier of difficulty on raid gear.
    That raid gear can be sourced from different raids, therefore mythic raid gear won't have a consistent item level simply because it is mythic, but mythic have some consistency to how much it is above normal for instance, in a given raid.

A random upgrade to a specific item level is not equally likely in all content due to the decreasing odds the higher the upgrade, so you should be playing in content awarding gear as near to that cap as possible for the greatest odds if that is really your aim.

Sure, the raising of the cap CAN mean the awarding of better gear from lower content, but it still remains the most likely the higher the content is to start with.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I don't think the point is to grind it -- world quests will provide the "grinding" incentive, as will mythic+. I think the point of it is so if you're going back and helping a friend, or helping a bud's alt, or whatever, that there's a CHANCE you get something besides friendship points.

Hell, even pre-raid, it's still not statistically worth grinding to try to get gear. You'd do it because you want to do it, even pre-raid though statistically it's not worth ever assuming you're going to roll titanforged+ on a piece.

It's a false incentive. Now, you want a REAL in game test?

Do ingame /roll 1-100

See how many times you can get 98 or higher consecutively. This is a 3% chance per roll.

Now try and get that 8 times and know how lucky you must be to get a max level gear piece from LFR. (or WQ, Heroic dungeon, etc)

Lastly... here is the in game effect:

Go into a dungeon that drops 850 gear... you already have 850 gear. If the proc rate is 3%... then you have a 3% chance to get a little (+5 iLevel) upgrade. (.03 chance= 1 in 33)

For +10? .009 chance = 1 in 111

For +15? .000027 chance = 1 in 3,703

FOR +20? .00000081 chance = 1 in 123,458

You get the picture.
    Last edited by Maudib; 2016-06-28 at 06:39 PM.

Deleted
    For me, first gear "season" will be for leveling all of my 13 (12 horde, 1 alliance) characters to 110 and looking at how much I can do with the artifact shit with all of them. The first gear reset will be the earliest when I start getting a single piece of gear. Pointless before that.

ill do a daily heroic for resources of some kind and ill do mythic + and mythic/heroic raids weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Titanforge is not a motivational factor at all. Just like lotteries are "Tax on the Stupid"... Titanforged is "Motivation for the Morons".
    I look at it differently. I play whatever I think is fun. For me, it happens to be 5 mans. I run 5 mans for fun on live, even when the only reward was the garrison resources which I didn't need. All this system means for me is that I'll actually see some character progression throughout the expansion for doing the things I actually want to do and it will increase the replayability for me. 5 mans are fun on their own, but eventually with 0 progression it gets boring. This breathes more longevity into them.

I honestly might never raid again. I'll do each LFR wing once to see the content and run dungeons/do world quests for the whole expansion.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2016-06-28 at 06:40 PM.

Grind? No. But that's not the point.

One of WoD's biggest causes of log-in-log-out is that there are so few venues for anything unexpected or exciting to happen.

Dungeons that have decent chance for dropping slightly better gear, and a chance to drop something special? That's huge, compared to zero chance of anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    The point of the ilvl boosting is for the chance. Basically making heroics/world content and other things still viable for getting a piece you might need even if you're doing high end content like mythic raids or rated pvp. It gives a little incentive to help out other guildies or alts or new people in low end content.

Not to say it couldn't be grinded out, but it's not likely to be more viable than running mythic raids/mythic+ 5man/rated pvp.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Anyone expecting to "grind" for titanforged is setting themselves up for massive disappointment and a lot of wasted time. If youre that committed youd be far better off running mythic+, raiding, or doing rated pvp.

Mythic and mythic+ dungeons for sure, probably not HC.

It's funny how people parrot Blizzard's statement almost verbatim without actually questioning if the intended effect is viable to them personally.

For +5? .03 chance= 1 in 33

It give a little incentive? It gives me no incentive. Almost everyone has limited time to play... you can waste your time running content that drops 10 iLevels lower than what you have and have a 1 in 3,703 chance to get a small +5 iLevel upgrade... or run current content dorpping same as what you have with a 1 in 33% chance to upgrade.

It's just Blizzard lipservice... they would be better off to say "NOW, all dungeon bosses have a chance to drop a rare raid mount."

THAT is incentive... even if it was 1 in 500 chance.
    Last edited by Maudib; 2016-06-28 at 07:20 PM.

If we are talking about 850 dungeon then moving to 880, well I think for majority of us this will happen not because we want to try and grind better gear but to help gear up those people who want to raid but can never be bothered to spend the time necessary to gear up. So when it does transition from 850 to 880 in 2-3 weeks after launch (normal/heroic raids open), we go back to gear those final few that have been dragging their asses so the whole team can raid.

Quote Originally Posted by gallamann View Post
    If we are talking about 850 dungeon then moving to 880, well I think for majority of us this will happen not because we want to try and grind better gear but to help gear up those people who want to raid but can never be bothered to spend the time necessary to gear up. So when it does transition from 850 to 880 in 2-3 weeks after launch (normal/heroic raids open), we go back to gear those final few that have been dragging their asses so the whole team can raid.
    No... because you will just carry them through mythics instead... and STILL have a chance to get yourself an upgrade.

It's funny how people parrot Blizzard's statement almost verbatim without actually questioning if the intended effect is viable to them personally.

It give a little incentive? It gives me no incentive.
    Well, thats "incentive" with a giant asterisk next to it because they're not saying that this is going to incentivize grinding this content until you get something. Which is why Watcher is telling people not to treat is as "mandatory" and to focus on challenging content if they want the gear. What theyre actually saying is that if you help a friend/guildie who needs something theres a tiny chance you could get something out of it as well. Or if youre doing your dailies there is a tiny chance something unexpected might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by nazrakin View Post
    What theyre actually saying is that if you help a friend/guildie who needs something theres a tiny chance you could get something out of it as well. Or if youre doing your dailies there is a tiny chance something unexpected might happen.
    Infinitesimal not tiny.

If you are helping a friend or guildie... that is it's reward.

If you are doing dailies, there better damn be a reason you are doing it outside of expecting the unexpected.

Titanforge is stupid.

Infinitesimal not tiny.

If you are doing dailies, there better damn be a reason you are doing it outside of expecting the unexpected.

Titanforge is stupid.
    I wouldn't say stupid, well unless someone is doing it for the extremely unlikely chance at it. It's just a thing that is kinda neat as a small aside. If it happens I will clap my hands and squeal, if it doesn't oh well. I'd rather have it than not, though that isn't to say there could be better systems. Their could be.

Infinitesimal not tiny.

Titanforge is stupid.
    You shouldnt be "expecting the unexpected", thats the point and thats what I see Watcher telling people. If someone is grinding that content expecting a titanforged item then Id say they are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by nazrakin View Post
    Well, thats "incentive" with a giant asterisk next to it because they're not saying that this is going to incentivize grinding this content until you get something. Which is why Watcher is telling people not to treat is as "mandatory" and to focus on challenging content if they want the gear. What theyre actually saying is that if you help a friend/guildie who needs something theres a tiny chance you could get something out of it as well. Or if youre doing your dailies there is a tiny chance something unexpected might happen.
    Well, if his math was accurate in that the 'tiny chance' for the best upgrade is 1 in 123k..that's too tiny to waste my time.

My suspicion is that Blizzard is not doing a simple flat chance per roll, but instead sets the chance on each roll depending on which roll you are on.

Say this because Maudib (love the name) has pointed out with just 4 rolls you are at 1 in 123k, aka that shit is exponential. Therefore for any max level drops to exist in raid finder would be just next to never ever going to happen (12 upgrades). Therefore pretty easy to see they would need to remove the exponential nature of multiple rolls

Hell I would bet there isn't multiple rolls, probably 1 roll, like why waste CPU time on multiple rolls millions of times a day! Instead roll 100, with 100 being max TF, and a scale down from there to no upgrade. One could see how LFR being 12 potential ups versus mythic raid being 3, how the mythic raider is probably max at 96+ roll for max TF.

Deleted

It give a little incentive? It gives me no incentive. Almost everyone has limited time to play... you can waste your time running content that drops 10 iLevels lower than what you have and have a 1 in 3,703 chance to get a small +5 iLevel upgrade... or run current content dorpping same as what you have with a 1 in 33% chance to upgrade.

It's just Blizzard lipservice... they would be better off to say "NOW, all dungeon bosses have a chance to drop a rare raid mount."

THAT is incentive... even if it was 1 in 500 chance.
    Where do you pull this 3% number from? We don't know the chance of a +5 roll.
    So all your math may be off by a large factor.
    Until we get a either a clear statement from blizzard or a decent base to estimate the chance, you could do the same thing with a 10% chance and get numbers that would be closer to an incentive.

+5 = 0.1 = 1 in 10
    +10 = 0.01 = 1 in 100
    +15 = 0.001 = 1 in 1000
    +20 = 0.0001 = 1 in 10000

Now these numbers are nice, and go up to 25% or even 33% and this shit gets to a point where people would be stupid not to try.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gallamann View Post
    My suspicion is that Blizzard is not doing a simple flat chance per roll, but instead sets the chance on each roll depending on which roll you are on.

Say this because Maudib (love the name) has pointed out with just 4 rolls you are at 1 in 123k, aka that shit is exponential. Therefore for any max level drops to exist in raid finder would be just next to never ever going to happen (12 upgrades). Therefore pretty easy to see they would need to remove the exponential nature of multiple rolls

Hell I would bet there isn't multiple rolls, probably 1 roll, like why waste CPU time on multiple rolls millions of times a day! Instead roll 100, with 100 being max TF, and a scale down from there to no upgrade. One could see how LFR being 12 potential ups versus mythic raid being 3, how the mythic raider is probably max at 96+ roll for max TF.
    a scale from 0 to 100 would be not really a good solution.

Take the cap, substract the base item level and you get the range the item has. Divide it by 5 and you got the amount of upgrades possible.
    now just throw on the random number generator from 0 to amount to upgrades and viola got the proc.

Or if they want higher upgrades to be less likely, triple the amount of possible upgrades and then roll and divide by 3 and round down. (replace 3 with whatever number you want)
    Last edited by mmoc1f5e02b9df; 2016-06-28 at 08:55 PM.