Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Good luck getting the French to agree to that.
    French in NATO communicate in English. In fact all NATO messages (that I've seen at least) were in English.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    French in NATO communicate in English. In fact all NATO messages (that I've seen at least) were in English.
    Thats because the USA was the big hitter and they use English, now the French have the big guns and they get to call the shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post

Interesting. What do you guys think? I personally have been calling for this for a long time now. We do need to differentiate from NATO, we need to pursue our own goals and strategy when it comes to security. Most importantly though, a unified army is a good step towards a super state, a federalized EU.

Britain was the only country that was opposing this and was threatening to veto. But now with the Brits outside the picture a way is paved for the creation of one.
    Even if you don't make a collective army, it's INSANE the way you have left an entire continent undefended, with the exception of some good friends that live on a different continent. Seriously, what would the EU do if the US did not honor a treaty after a Russian invasion? Protest?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    That is some quality revisionism there.

Federalism predated the Iroquois in European thought. How much of US politics is based on Greek democracy? And I stated that Rome was the model for the US political system, so not sure why you mentioned that.

Separation of church and state as a concept predated the US, it has ancient roots, though the more modern concept is closer to the foundation of the US, but prior to it.

I Googled James Oglethorpe, he was British, how are you trying to claim that goes against my statement that America is the child of British thought when the person you are using as an example is British?
    But at a point that child ran away and now he hates your way of thinking. Your notion expired in 1776.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    But at a point that child ran away and now he hates your way of thinking. Your notion expired in 1776.
    That is clearly not true, as shown by the US following a similar path as Britain even after they had left the Empire.

This is my point, Americans seem to think they are somehow completely original, but many have trodden the same path before them, in some cases millenia prior to them.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Those in that camp don't want to stop being the world police, they just don't want the rest of the world to get by defensively on our coattails. All of our allies spend a pittance of sorts (comparatively) on defense because currently they don't have to spend large amounts on defense because we will defend them.

So a lot of people in the US are saying that needs to change either by our allies beefing up their own military so the burden isn't ours alone or they need to start forking over protection money.
    That will also push the power over to your allies though and away from you.
    Might be a good thing in general but not for the US, I'm afraid.

Creating an army for the EU is one of these things that will take away some US influence over Europe.

Again, this might be great for some EU countries and for Russia but the US has little to gain from this.

That is clearly not true, as shown by the US following a similar path as Britain even after they had left the Empire.

This is my point, Americans seem to think they are somehow completely original, but many have trodden the same path before them, in some cases millenia prior to them.
    I don't think anyone is saying they are original, at least not the first to do any single thing. How they combined them all is certainly inventive, as is how we've developed since then. We've come a very long way from the foundation to now.

True, some think we are the only free country, when in reality we were only the first. But, I think you hugely misunderstand how much American thought, for about 100 years or more, was to do whatever the opposite of what Britain did. I mean, we literally changed the spelling of words just to be different from you. And, still to this day, saying you want to do something like the Europeans is not a good way to sway people in the US.
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2016-06-30 at 03:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    True, some think we are the only free country, when in reality we were only the first. But, I think you hugely misunderstand how much American thought, for about 100 years or more, was to do whatever the opposite of what Britain did. I mean, we literally changed the spelling of words just to be different from you. And, still to this day, saying you want to do something like the Europeans is not a good way to sway people in the US.
    You are one of the most capitalist nations on the planet, it is arguably what the US is most famous for, that love of capitalism you got from us. That superiority complex, again that came from us.

Barring the Civil Rights movement, which we never really had because our existing laws unintentionally gave minorities rights, American history has parallels in British history, though you had a Civil War over slavery, we fought that in the courts and Parliament.

As I said, that is understandable as American thought came from a British background, more prosaically a large part is due to us sharing a common language which enabled you to fully understand developments in Britain.

You are one of the most capitalist nations on the planet, it is arguably what the US is most famous for, that love of capitalism you got from us. That superiority complex, again that came from us.

Barring the Civil Rights movement, which we never really had because our existing laws unintentionally gave minorities rights, American history has parallels in British history, though you had a Civil War over slavery, we fought that in the courts and Parliament.

As I said, that is understandable as American thought came from a British background, more prosaically a large part is due to us sharing a common language which enabled you to fully understand developments in Britain.
    Sorry bro but, there is a different word for how the British empire came to be mighty, and it ain't capitalism.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Big suprise coming from you
    Life is easy when you have well defined groupings in your head isn't it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    An EU defense could've thwarted Putin's plan to destroy the EU. How? By intervening when Putin had Russia's long term ally Assad, the Shiite president of Syria, drive Syrian Sunnis like into the EU as refugees.

An EU defense force could've invaded Syria and set up safe zones for the Syrian Sunnis so the Syrian Sunnis wouldn't have become refugees.

Britain would still be in EU.
    Of course hubcap. That's absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Big suprise coming from you
    Djalil was the only voter who voted to join Russia in the Brexit vote.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry bro but, there is a different word for how the British empire came to be mighty, and it ain't capitalism.
    You need to check out the East India Company, you will be in for a shock, not least when you see their flag.

Napoleon said the British are a nation of shopkeepers, Empire was basically just a business venture that got out of hand.

Deleted
    Djalil was the only voter who voted to join Russia in the Brexit vote.
    Oh look. An attempt at being funny and clever.
    Lol.
    Try again.

You need to check out the East India Company, you will be in for a shock, not least when you see their flag.

Napoleon said the British are a nation of shopkeepers, Empire was basically just a business venture that got out of hand.
    I would define the UK more as the worlds first drug dealers, and a repeat exploiter/subjugator, more than capitalist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Oh look. An attempt at being funny and clever.
    Lol.
    Try again.
    If it wasn't funny, why did you laugh?

Deleted
    I would define the UK more as the worlds first drug dealers, and a repeat exploiter/subigator, more than capitialist.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't. Because it wasn't funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would define the UK more as the worlds first drug dealers, and a repeat exploiter/subigator, more than capitialist.
    That drug dealing was linked to capitalism, as was the exploitation and the subjugation. It was always about the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I didn't. Because it wasn't funny.
    But you typed out lol...why did you type lol if you were not laughing?

- - - Updated - - -

That drug dealing was linked to capitalism, as was the exploitation and the subjugation. It was always about the money.
    But imperialism is about money, and it has nothing to do with capitalism.

Deleted
    But you typed out lol...why did you type lol if you were not laughing?

- - - Updated - - -
    Because I was laughing AT you?

Deleted
    I would define the UK more as the worlds first drug dealers, and a repeat exploiter/subjugator, more than capitalist.

- - - Updated - - -

We may have been the first but a certain country learned a lot from us.

10+ Year Old Account
    But imperialism is about money, and it has nothing to do with capitalism.
    Imperialism was often the result, not the target.