View Poll Results: Would you help a friend fight off a grizzly or would you run off to get help?

Voters
89. This poll is closed
  • Need more info

22 24.72%
  • Maybe

15 16.85%
  • No

19 21.35%
  • Yes

33 37.08%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    From one top of the food chain animal to one that has been in space I'm going to bet on the space faring one if they are willing to use their brain well.

Huge advantage that we have over every o there species.
    Well, if you can explain to the bear your supremacy due to your fellows having been in space...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Well, if you can explain to the bear your supremacy due to your fellows having been in space...
    In the guide posted from the national park service it tells you what to do. That's the advantage we have knowing what is going to keep you alive.

And there are other ways to take them down as well. There is a plaque in Montana or somewhere of a guy who killed a grissley bear bearhanded. Stuck his whole arm down the bear's throat so it couldn't breathe until it died.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Well, that woman has probably practiced hunting for over a decade, plus she got into a perfect position with a professional composite bow. Two guys with nothing but bicycles and backpacks with no weapons in them wouldn't fare as well.
    It really depends on the situation. If it's a mother bear protecting it's cubs, playing dead is your only chance. If it's a predatory bear, 2 people standing their ground and making loud noises can scare it off.

He'll just tell the bear that humans will launch it into space if it doesn't stop being mean
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Depends on the friend.

I'd stay and try to scare/distract the bear by waving my arms and shouting.... Obviously we aren't gonna kill the thing, but if you had a lighter and a flask of brandy maybe you could blow a fireball in its face. Idk.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    In the guide posted from the national park service it tells you what to do. That's the advantage we have knowing what is going to keep you alive.

And there are other ways to take them down as well. There is a plaque in Montana or somewhere of a guy who killed a grissley bear bearhanded. Stuck his whole arm down the bear's throat so it couldn't breathe until it died.
    Yes, it tells you what to do: play dead or, if it fails, fight vigorously. In the described case though, fighting vigorously failed and your friend is getting pounded. Means the bear isn't backing down, it is essentially in blood rage and will defend its territory to the death. Your friend is done for; get away from there, better slowly and not running, so as not to provoke the bear.

Sure, sometimes you might still fight and succeed. Grizzlies are not invincible. I wouldn't count on that though and attempt it intentionally. If you try to stick your whole arm down the bear's throat and the bear closes its maw, you are done - and this is what will happen with like 99% probability. Again, bear in mind, this is not just some bear, it is a grizzly, a different class of a beast entirely.

---

Grizzlies have been around for millions years, dominating everything. Unless you do something the bear hasn't encountered before and manage to surprise it, you have no chance. And trust me, a bear who has been hunting 24/7 its whole life has seen a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    He'll just tell the bear that humans will launch it into space if it doesn't stop being mean
    Plot twist: that's what it's always dreamed of!
    Last edited by May90; 2016-06-30 at 08:34 PM.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've beaten off a bear or two in my life, what's one more? By far, the worst part is cleaning up when you're done, but I'd take one for the team.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

You shoot the grizzly until it is dead.

Oh, you didn't bring a gun with you where grizzly bears live? Then you are an idiot, and the gene pool would probably be better without you both in it.

If it were a select few of my friends or family, yes.

Otherwise, not a chance.

This "dumbass bear" has been on top of the food chain for millions years. Good luck scaring it.
    Humans eat more bears than bears eat humans so I think that puts us on top of the food chain.

Yes, it tells you what to do: play dead or, if it fails, fight vigorously. In the described case though, fighting vigorously failed and your friend is getting pounded. Means the bear isn't backing down, it is essentially in blood rage and will defend its territory to the death. Your friend is done for; get away from there, better slowly and not running, so as not to provoke the bear.

Sure, sometimes you might still fight and succeed. Grizzlies are not invincible. I wouldn't count on that though and attempt it intentionally. If you try to stick your whole arm down the bear's throat and the bear closes its maw, you are done - and this is what will happen with like 99% probability. Again, bear in mind, this is not just some bear, it is a grizzly, a different class of a beast entirely.

---

Grizzlies have been around for millions years, dominating everything. Unless you do something the bear hasn't encountered before and manage to surprise it, you have no chance. And trust me, a bear who has been hunting 24/7 its whole life has seen a lot.

Plot twist: that's what it's always dreamed of!
    Brown bears came to North America and because grizzlies only 13000 years ago, not millions.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

They both had bikes. Throwing your bike at the bear, assuming they are the modern light bikes, could've scared the bear off. It wouldn't hurt the bear but it would make a lot of noise and the bike is alien to the bear.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Humans eat more bears than bears eat humans so I think that puts us on top of the food chain.
    Humans don't hunt bears unarmed though. If you are not prepared, you are so far below the grizzly in a food chain, you might as well be a limped rabbit.

Brown bears came to North America and because grizzlies only 13000 years ago, not millions.
    Yes, but they'd been around in Eurasia for a loooong time before that.

Humans don't hunt bears unarmed though. If you are not prepared, you are so far below the grizzly in a food chain, you might as well be a limped rabbit.
    Part of the advantage humans have is their preparation and use of tools. A human without tools is like a legless bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was taught to stand together, stand tall, and make as much noise as possible.

As for running, it depends on how fit you are. Human's are great distance runners. We are not the fastest, but we can run for greater distances than most animals. So if you are a regular runner, you might have a chance. But if you are not fit, the bear is going to catch you.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I was taught to stand together, stand tall, and make as much noise as possible.

As for running, it depends on how fit you are. Human's are great distance runners. We are not the fastest, but we can run for greater distances than most animals. So if you are a regular runner, you might have a chance. But if you are not fit, the bear is going to catch you.
    Not if its too busy killing your friend!

You know damn well that's not how food chains work!

Also I've heard of horses kicking bears to death. If all humans were to disappear, bears and horses would have to have a holy war for the top chair in the food chain.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Not if its too busy killing your friend!
    lol, potentially.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Even at that point your odds would be crappy if it was most conventional weapons. In your average "Friend being attacked by bear scenario" you at best will have a handgun which would be a super unreliable bear weapon.
    10mm, .454 Casull, .50, S&W 500 are all calibers which are considered suitable for exactly the purpose of having as a back-up side arm on hiking or hunting trips to deal with large predators. Nobody's suggesting a .22 pocket pistol or anything concealable. And hell, it's better than just dying trying to play Tarzan or abandoning your trailmate to die.