Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I think it's a damn bag and you should carry whatever the hell does the job and makes you feel comfortable.

I cant believe there's even an "article" on Linkedin for such tripe. I think they have too much cash and free time if they were writing stories about bags. I mainly use a "man bag" for work to chuck my laptop in and whatever I'm having for lunch that day etc but quite frankly, I could use a carrier bag or a suitcase and I wouldn't expect anyone to bat an eyelid.

it's a bag. who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by MCO Readycheck View Post
    I think it's a damn bag and you should carry whatever the hell does the job and makes you feel comfortable.

I cant believe there's even an "article" on Linkedin for such tripe. I think they have too much cash and free time if they were writing stories about bags. I mainly use a "man bag" for work to chuck my laptop in and whatever I'm having for lunch that day etc but quite frankly, I could use a carrier bag or a suitcase and I wouldn't expect anyone to bat an eyelid.

it's a bag. who cares?
    So if someone was at the ocean and wore board shorts, a tank top and a pair of tap dance shoes, wouldn't that be weird?. I mean sure they provide protection for your feet, but you would look like a moron. Why not pack all your stuff into a gunny sack and tie it to a stick to carry on your shoulder?.

Deleted
    The backpack is best suited for my kind of work, and afterwork activities. It carries more, you can carry more, you can put wet stuff in it without damaging other equipment. It gives you 2 hands to work with, and it looks cool.

I suspect the people who think it is unprofessional are not professionals themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    The backpack is best suited for my kind of work, and afterwork activities. It carries more, you can carry more, you can put wet stuff in it without damaging other equipment. It gives you 2 hands to work with, and it looks cool.
    It doesnt look cool, it looks stupid and sissy-ish. May as well put a "kick me" sign on your back.

To me, the rule of the tumb is that if you wear a suit, you use a briefcase or at least a nice carrier back. If your dress code is smart casual or casual, then backpacks are just fine-

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    I use
    we should hang out more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Back during my accountancy internship there used to be a mix of everything.

I carry a backpack because it means I can bring my bloody water/coffee with me.

If it's one of those important days where you HAVE to look professional, then I'll swap it out. But on a regular day, no one is taking away my backpack.
    Last edited by DrMcNinja; 2016-07-02 at 10:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's more unprofessional to not have the shit you're supposed to bring to your work site in a carrying item that maximizes your organization and efficiency.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't used a backpack since I was at a school,I been using crossbody bags or man bags as my friends call it :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2016-07-02 at 10:37 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    What do you guys think of this?
    I agree that it depends on the field of work one does for a living. Generally speaking, I think it is fine for any one who has to perform physical tasks as their job function to carry a backpack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same as with any form of a dresscode, it's irrelevant if you want to be professional and of vital importance if you want to appear professional. Society is thankfully getting better at telling the difference these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    If you wear a suit or button up and tie to work then I'd say stick with a suitcase. A backpack would look awkward whilst wearing a suit.
    Exactly what I was about to say!

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    *Shrugs* I have a plethora of pretty purses for such a thing, some more plain and business orientated for such environments.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

This is non-sense.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-07-02 at 12:37 PM.

As others have said it comes down to what you are doing, they type of company, and how important projecting a certain image is. I received my laptop in a backpack, so obviously there isn't an issue with using said bag 99.9% of the time. That being said, when I was told that I would be giving a small presentation to the general (whom very rarely visits the office in our state), I sure as heck dusted off the briefcase, wore a suit and tie (only time anyone does this is when he visits or does a teleconference), and made sure to hold myself much more stiffly than normal.

Nobody will ever see someone using a briefcase (assuming it is well organized) and think ill of the person for it. Some people may see someone with a backpack and think you aren't taking a job seriously. Therefore, when you need to dress to impress (ie at a job interview), a briefcase is a good idea.

So I saw an article on linkedin a couple of weeks ago that basically said it is unprofessional to carry a back pack in the professional world instead of a briefcase. Most of the people who responded said it depends on what field you're in. For example it would be unprofessional for a lawyer to carry one but for people who are in like the IT field a backpack is really the best option.
    There's no actual reason why IT should have a more casual dress code, it's simply due to work culture.

In any case, field and geographic region matter. Some parts of the country/job fields are simply more casual than others. But business can be very strict with what you wear...it goes well beyond a briefcase. Having the right clothes, name brands, hairstyle, car you drive, watch you wear (yes some people still care about those things), where you live...it all matters.

It's also fucking exhausting and pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    People like briefcase because it gives the illusion of being someone organized. The last thing you want of a lawyer, for instance, is to doubt whether or not he's organized enough to help you with your case. It's really all about appearances, because someone with a briefcase could still be messy.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

What do you guys think of this?
    It is unprofessional to use something unsuitable just for appearance's sake.

If you have to carry a lot of heavy things use a backpack or a toolbox if that works better.
    Briefcases are best for confidential papers, because it is more difficult to steal from them while you carry them.

Hohohoho not using a nice leather backpack and being forced to carry additional luggage.

It's like you don't want to look like every day is an adventure.

http://www.coach.com/coach-mens-leat...gnid=220778002
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.