Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    IT'S THE SAME FUCKING SHIT!!!

Let's cross breed this plant, with this other plant from this region so that it gets NEW GENES that allow it to survive more easily.

The whole point is the change the fucking genes of the plant, it's genetically modified!
    Being restistant or almost immune to certain pesticides is not simple cross breeding, don´t be ignorant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    It's also internally incoherent. If someone objects to GMO patents, one can simply not plant GMO seeds. It's not like non-GMO seeds would be made illegal.

The complaint is actually that GMO crops would be economically superior and so rational farmers would buy the seeds because they'd benefit from doing so. How nice of the anti-GMO forces, suppressing a techology that's economically beneficial. Luddism at its finest.
    Right, because the solution to overproduction is to produce more. /genius
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    It is, because they are directly tied to one another and unless that changes, GMO has no place in europe.
    No... that's not a GMO food issue, that's a corporate and patent issue.

If one company was allowed to controlled all steel, that wasn't a steel issue, that was a monopoly and corporate issue. We didn't say "down with steel because companies do bad things!" We just changed the rules related to having monopolies.

It's also internally incoherent. If someone objects to GMO patents, one can simply not plant GMO seeds. It's not like non-GMO seeds would be made illegal.

The complaint is actually that GMO crops would be economically superior and so rational farmers would buy the seeds because they'd benefit from doing so. How nice of the anti-GMO forces, suppressing a techology that's economically beneficial. Luddism at its finest.

So why are patents bad for seeds, but ok for, say, computer chips or pharmaceuticals?
    It's not an economical issue. It's a health and safety issue. If it's economical, we wouldn't be importing Argentinian beef like mad. But we do. And we love it. See, it's you specifically that we don't want food from. It's personal, if you like. So deal with it and convince us. So far, as this thread goes, you seem to think that yelling louder at us will change our minds.

Also, unlike you apparently, we seem to be able to differentiate food that is ingested from computer chips that you don't get into direct contact with. There's a whole world of difference in those two. But hey, at least you spelled it right. Good job!

- - - Updated - - -

If one company was allowed to controlled all steel, that wasn't a steel issue, that was a monopoly and corporate issue. We didn't say "down with steel because companies do bad things!" We just changed the rules related to having monopolies.
    We're not rejecting because of economical issues. Believe it or not, we're not all just looking out for profit. See, that's one of the things that makes Europe great.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    GMO is the future of food... shall we halt progress until we absolutely need it? No that's fucking stupid.
    Just how sure are you about that?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/30/bu...=fb-share&_r=0
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...esticides.html
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

So why are patents bad for seeds, but ok for, say, computer chips or pharmaceuticals?
    Because one is essential for survival the other is not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    It's not an economical issue. It's a health and safety issue. If it's economical, we wouldn't be importing Argentinian beef like mad. But we do. And we love it. See, it's you specifically that we don't want food from. It's personal, if you like. So deal with it and convince us. So far, as this thread goes, you seem to think that yelling louder at us will change our minds.

Also, unlike you apparently, we seem to be able to differentiate food that is ingested from computer chips that you don't get into direct contact with. There's a whole world of difference in those two. But hey, at least you spelled it right. Good job!

- - - Updated - - -

We're not rejecting because of economical issues. Believe it or not, we're not all just looking out for profit. See, that's one of the things that makes Europe great.
    Make Europe great again SWEDEN SWEDEN SWEDEN

Then by all means do something about it, as long as it remains as it is, no GMO. Simple as that.The ball is on your side of the field to convince others after all, since europe does not need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tram View Post
    Make Europe great again SWEDEN SWEDEN SWEDEN
    Europe is great already. *shrug*
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    The food itself isn't the issue. It is companies like Monsanto that stomp all over smaller farmers that people have an issue with.
    ^---- This

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok i´m going to repost this, according to a study posted in the NYT just two days ago GMO crops aren´t all that great, they don´t lead to a higher yield and don´t reduce pesticide usage:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/30/bu...=fb-share&_r=0
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...esticides.html

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    It's not an economical issue. It's a health and safety issue.
    There are no real health or safety issues with GMOs (fevered delusions of the antis notwithstanding), but I'm glad you agree it's not a problem with patents.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    A patented seed will cross pollinate with nearby plant life and turn their seeds into patented seeds that the owner of said plant life can no longer legally use. That's kind of a big difference.
    This is a fantasy scenario that has never happened. The closest it ever came to happening was a farmer who deliberately selected his crops by spraying them with herbicide until trace contamination was amplified to the high prevalence in his seeds. He was rightly sued for deliberate evasion of the patents, and he lost.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Because one is essential for survival the other is not.
    Patents on seeds threaten survival? What ridiculous crap is this?

Seeds have been patented since the 1930s, and humanity is doing just great. Far from threatening survival, patenting of seeds enables investment in their improvement. This contributes to survival. If anything, the anti-patent position is the anti-survival one.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

There are no real health or safety issues with GMOs (fevered delusions of the antis notwithstanding), but I'm glad you agree it's not a problem with patents.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a fantasy scenario that has never happened. The closest it ever came to happening was a farmer who deliberately selected his crops by spraying them with herbicide until trace contamination was amplified to the high prevalence in his seeds. He was rightly sued for deliberate evasion of the patents, and he lost.
    Really? So there is no problem with patents? OFC there is a problem with patents, if 4 or 5 corporations have the power over almost every seed that is allowed on the market I would call it a big problem. The only people who should have power over the seeds are those who actually use them for farming, oh but those have become dependent of your lovely big corporation and if that wasn't enough only crops and produce who have their pantent with big corporations are allowed for commercial farming.

There are actually criminal fruits, vegetables and crops out there. Those that are not allowed for commercial farming because their seeds have not yet been genetically modified, castrated and patented by your friendly next door corporation.

No corporation should have a patent on LIFE.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Which is why I find it hilarious that the US military still bases their PT requirements on the BMI. Not only is it inconsistent to say the least, but it is horribly outdated. We as a species have been getting larger (and I'm not talking about our growing obesity issue) over the decades since the BMI was invented.
    Hmm...

US Navy formula
    Calculator

This Body Fat Navy Calculator uses the U.S. Navy fitness formula to get an estimated measuring of body fat percent. Use a tape measure then enter your waist, hip, and neck measurements. Combine these measurements with your gender and height and this navy calculator will estimate body fat percent, lean mass, fat mass, and your general navy fitness category. (You can see the Navy Body Fat Chart by clicking the down arrow icon right under the results.) The water displacement test is the most accurate way to determine body fat percent, but the Navy Body Fat test or YMCA formula is accurate within 1-3% for most people.

Using my own stats as an example:
    Male
    195lbs
    5' 8"
    33" (waist)
    16" (neck)
    Body Fat 14 %
    Fat Mass 27 lbs
    Lean Mass 168 lbs
    Body Fat Category Fit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Really? So there is no problem with patents? OFC there is a problem with patents, if 4 or 5 corporations have the power over almost every seed that is allowed on the market I would call it a big problem. The only people who should have power over the seeds are those who actually use them for farming, oh but those have become dependent of your lovely big corporation and if that wasn't enough only crops and produce who have their pantent with big corporations are allowed for commercial farming.

There are actually criminal fruits, vegetables and crops out there. Those that are not allowed for commercial farming because their seeds have not yet been genetically modified, castrated and patented by your friendly next door corporation.

What is even more sick with this globalist bullshit is that they have patented the human gene.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post

No, there is no problem with patents. Understand you cannot patent existing seeds. You can only patent NEW varieties. In the GMO space, this means coming up with new combinations of genes not present in existing seeds.

Let me put it this way: without patents, the innovations in the patented varieties would not be invented. You'd be left with only the unpatented varieties that existed before. Guess what? You can do that right now, even if patents exist! You can still use those unpatented varieties.

Of course, without patents, the set of unpatented varieties will never be enriched by previously patented varieties for which the patents have expired. So in the long run you end up worse off. Patents serve a real purpose that benefits you and everyone else, and you ignore this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tram View Post
    What is even more sick with this globalist bullshit is that they have patented the human gene.
    Such patents have been largely struck down in the US.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

15+ Year Old Account
    No, there is no problem with patents. Understand you cannot patent existing seeds. You can only patent NEW varieties. In the GMO space, this means coming up with new combinations of genes not present in existing seeds.

Let me put it this way: without patents, the innovations in the patented varieties would not be invented. You'd be left with only the unpatented varieties that existed before. Guess what? You can do that right now, even if patents exist! You can still use those unpatented varieties.

Of course, without patents, the set of unpatented varieties will never be enriched by previously patented varieties for which the patents have expired. So in the long run you end up worse off. Patents serve a real purpose that benefits you and everyone else, and you ignore this.
    I see you´re still running with the idea that gmo crops are actually worth anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thread necro, and we don't need arguments over month long posts

Closing