Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    And that's exactly what a ban on gay marriage is. Persecution because they like the same sex.
    No, not recognizing it in the eyes of the law is not the same as persecution, they are still free to do what they want with the same sex just that the government doesn't recognize a marriage between people of the same sex

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    It's not because I don't like it.
    So then why try and ban it? If you aren't doing it because you don't like it, then you are simply doing it to take a choice away from people. Either way, you are being an authoritarian.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hana Song View Post
    No, not recognizing it in the eyes of the law is not the same as persecution
    Taking away someone's freedom for no logical reason is persecution. They are specifically targeted, and their freedoms are taken away.

Here's a definition for you:

"to treat (someone) cruelly or unfairly especially because of race or religious or political beliefs"

And another:

"hostility and ill-treatment, especially because of race or political or religious beliefs"
    Last edited by Machismo; 2016-07-01 at 09:29 PM.

Taking away someone's freedom for no logical reason is persecution. They are specifically targeted, and their freedoms are taken away.
    No, this is ridiculous, if your interpretation was correct then everyone who like the same sex in countries where they don't allow same-sex marriage are persecuted and can seek asylum because they are persecuted
    They can't do that though because they are not being persecuted just from not being recognized as a marriage

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    No it doesn't. I'm not talking about organic farms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Schmeiser

You're welcome.

I disagree with the court ruling completely. You can post as many links as you like but that's not going to change my mind because I don't believe seed should be owned by anyone like that.
    Monsanto didn't sue him just because the other seeds happened to drift into his land. They sued him because he intentionally used those seeds to grow a new crop that he knew was Roundup ready (which was, in fact, explicitly WHY he did it). You may disagree with crop patenting, but this was a pretty blatant violation on his part; he wasn't "financially penalised when his crops [got] contaminated by unwanted GM crops" (it's hard to argue they were unwanted when he intentionally replanted them because of the GM quality), nor did Monsanto "[pursue] farmers through court for seed that drifted onto their property" (they pursued him because he intentionally replanted those seeds in the full knowledge of exactly what they were).
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2016-07-01 at 09:32 PM.

Deleted
    Does all of Islam use the death penalty, or is it governments and men with guns?

Good luck trying to push a narrative, I'm not biting.
    Gays of muslim heritage are shamed and oppressed by the muslim community in non islamic countries , countries who also have a gay friendly government.

Well, if you are going to meddle by refusing to buy something, then the United states can do the same by simply choosing to raise tariffs. Which is more meddlesome? It would seem that the EU is trying to meddle more than the United States (according to your logic).
    Saying no is not meddling. The people of Europe are well within their rights to grow the kind of food they want to eat, and it's only 'meddling' if you believe that the US companies have an automatic equal right to the European food supply as Europeans do and are willing to give.

Here's a hint: they don't have an automatic equal right to it, nor does Europe have automatic equal rights to sectors we'd wish to be protectionist over in our own fucking country.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Well, our trade deficit is for every $2 we send the EU we get $1 back.

The only other way than agriculture to fix that is make a Mercedes cost as much as a four bedroom house.
    I always thought the market worked through supply and demand. Apparently there is no demand for GMO crap in the EU. Why don't you start producing what is in high demand in the EU (like organic food ) so you can sell it there?

Why does the demand has to adjust to your supply and not the supply to the EU's demand?

On another note: demand for organic foods are skyrocketing in the US. And because US farmers are too dumb to grow organic foods the US has to actually IMPORT organic foods from the EU. Now THAT's funny, ain't it?

Yeah, you can export as much copyrighted GMO food into the EU as you like IF you are labelling it properly, that is. Nobody's going to buy that crap anyways.

No, this is ridiculous, if your interpretation was correct then everyone who like the same sex in countries where they don't allow same-sex marriage are persecuted and can seek asylum because they are persecuted
    They can't do that though because they are not being persecuted just from not being recognized as a marriage
    Gay people do seek asylum for exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Monsanto didn't sue him just because the other seeds happened to drift into his land. They sued him because he intentionally used those seeds to grow a new crop that he knew was Roundup ready (which was, in fact, explicitly WHY he did it).
    You act like that makes a material difference to my stance. It doesn't.

Seed drifted onto land and they sought to enforce what happened to it afterwards. I'm not onboard with that and I never will be.

Gay people do seek asylum for exactly that.
    No, not for not having the marriage recognized, those who do that are coming from countries where they are being killed for it, not from countries where they don't have their marriage recognized but can still live a good life without that

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    Saying no is not meddling. The people of Europe are well within their rights to grow the kind of food they want to eat, and it's only 'meddling' if you believe that the US companies have an automatic equal right to the European food supply as Europeans do and are willing to give.

Here's a hint: they don't have an automatic equal right to it, nor does Europe have automatic equal rights to sectors we'd wish to be protectionist over in our own fucking country.
    Grow whatever you want, it still makes you an authoritarian to refuse others to sell.

Raising a tariff isn't meddling, since you clearly support sovereignty.

- - - Updated - - -

No, not for not having the marriage recognized, those who do that are coming from countries where they are being killed for it, not from countries where they don't have their marriage recognized but can still live a good life without that
    Some gay people have sought asylum from countries that simply ban gay marriage.

Some gay people have sought asylum from countries that simply ban gay marriage.
    Proof of this?

No it doesn't. I'm not talking about organic farms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Schmeiser

You're welcome.

I disagree with the court ruling completely. You can post as many links as you like but that's not going to change my mind because I don't believe seed should be owned by anyone like that.
    1) My original link (which you have obviously neglected to read) discussed that case. For more, http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Percy_Schmeiser

2) I wonder if you realize that your post makes you sound like a Luddite. Again, I don't care if you buy GMO free items. The current voluntary labeling system for this in the US is working well. I -do- have a problem that you apparently want to push your views on others.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    Gays of muslim heritage are shamed and oppressed by the muslim community in non islamic countries , countries who also have a gay friendly government.
    So, what's your point? Muslims can be shitty people. That doesn't mean Islam is the culprit, the shitty Muslims are. The same goes for when Christians shame gay people.

- - - Updated - - -

Proof of this?
    http://www.immigrationequality.org/g...ng-for-asylum/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021106013.html
    Last edited by Machismo; 2016-07-01 at 09:36 PM.

Persecution in law refers to people who are being arrested, killed, harassed, or otherwise subjected to crimes for their opinion or being, not having a marriage not recognized
    It says this in your link too

The law does not give an exact definition of what persecution is, but generally it is described as more serious than simple harassment or discrimination. Nevertheless, many kinds of mistreatment might rise to the level of persecution, especially if the abuse was frequent over a long period of time.

Discrimination is not enough

You act like that makes a material difference to my stance. It doesn't.
    The difference is that they didn't come after him because of something that happened outside of his control. He knew the seeds drifted. He knew what seeds drifted. He confirmed that the crops that were growing were from those seeds that drifted, and then intentionally replanted them explicitly because they were the seeds that drifted. You're acting like big, bad Monsanto is overreaching and suing people just because they accidentally wind up with GMO seeds on their property, yet the example you use is about them seeking legitimate redress against a farmer trying to game the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Because we grow cheese burgers, Pizza and coca cola on trees over here and you just pick it. The American obesity problem has nothing to do with GMOs. It is a portion control issue, seditary lifestyle ie walking in most places is unheard of due to the distance between things like home and stores, jobs etc, followed by an over indulgence in high fat foods and sugar based products that are drastically cheaper than healthy alternatives. Not GMOs. Thanks for being super EU and thinking it is just the food and nothing else. Good covert nation bash though, so hip and trendy of you.

The problem with GMO isn't the food itself it is the way seed and plant rights are handled through patents in the US and the lawsuits that arise from them. It is also an issue that small farmers are put out of business when things like this take place. It is why I'm for GMO labeling. Let people decide and let them decide if they want to support a product that supports small farms vs large coroporation owned farms. Other than that I see no issue with GMO labeling besides making corporations butthurt that a small population thinks GMOs are super dangerous or not cool. Thankfully I live in a large farmbelt area so I get all my produce and meat locally sourced from local farmers and I'm okay with that. I'm sure meals I eat from restaurants are not always that way, unless I eat local. I'm thankful my geographic location allows for that, if it didn't I'd have no problem eating GMO.
    Americans wants to sell GMO crops to the EU. I look at America thinking, hmm do they have superior food? Is this what they're selling? We have food in abundance, heck we throw away much of it. Why would we need more/new crops? Looking at the nation that's pushing to get this shit into the EU. Obesity problems, more starving people than my country has ever had. Why would i want to adopt to that? I'm just looking at pros and cons here. I don't *know why you guys are running some fucking errand for the big corporations on a gaming forum though, get over yourselves.
    Last edited by Krille; 2016-07-01 at 09:40 PM.

Persecution in law refers to people who are being arrested, killed, harassed, or otherwise subjected to crimes for their opinion or being, not having a marriage not be recognized
    It says this in your link too

The law does not give an exact definition of what persecution is, but generally it is described as more serious than simple harassment or discrimination. Nevertheless, many kinds of mistreatment might rise to the level of persecution, especially if the abuse was frequent over a long period of time.

Discrimination is not enough
    It actually can be, as it continues to state. It can be granted for pervasive homophobia, no government required.

It actually can be, as it continues to state.
    Can you show me a single case where someone is granted asylum for coming from a country where it's just that they don't get their marriage recognized?

Quote Originally Posted by victork8 View Post
    I look at America thinking, hmm do they have superior food? Is this what they're selling? We have food in abundance, heck we throw away much of it. Why would we need more/new crops? Looking at the nation that's pushing to get this shit into the EU. Obesity problems, more starving people than my country has ever had. Why would i want to adopt to that? I'm just looking at pros and cons here.
    Actually, you're looking at anecdotes, hearsay, and your own biased impressions of a broad overview of a complicated system. There is literally nothing there that could be construed as actual data.