Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    I wasn't even talking about said interns in the article when I raised the point about slavery, but umm, nice shifting of goalposts?
    So you weren't talking about interns in a thread about interns? And I'm the one shifting goalposts?

lmfao this is too great. Please keep it up I haven't laughed so much in years.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    Do I need to define generally for you too?
    Okay, so you admit you are arguing semantics? Thank you.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    I've had 5 jobs and the closest I've never seen this. No friends or family having this nonsense pulled on them, either.

I'm sure the slimeballs exist. I just doubt "Business Culture" Linadra and POS the slave are correct about it being as widespread as they imply.
    None of my friends or family I know of, is religious. Does this mean it's not as widespread as wikipedia seems to estimate? (~60% of worlds population)

Anecdotes are just that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I wasn't even talking about said interns in the article when I raised the point about slavery, but umm, nice shifting of goalposts?
    Bro, you said they were slaves. Don't fucking backpedal now.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The standard of living from hand to mouth and paycheck to paycheck?

The label of "first world" doesn't automatically and magically lend credence to the assertion that all people can purely survive off social safety nets.
    No, but i'd say they're sufficient to prevent the "work or die" dichotomy you've been spouting.

So you weren't talking about interns in a thread about interns? And I'm the one shifting goalposts?

lmfao this is too great. Please keep it up I haven't laughed so much in years.
    That's because someone went ahead to talk about interns in general terms before me, and I merely addressed them after the goalposts were shifting.

There's a difference between talking about interns in general, and the offending interns outlined in the OP.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

10+ Year Old Account
    That's because someone went ahead to talk about interns in general terms before me, and I merely addressed them after the goalposts were shifting.

There's a difference between talking about interns in general, and the offending interns outlined in the OP.

Here you go moving the goalposts again. Can't say I'm surprised anymore.....

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    None of my friends or family I know of, is religious. Does this mean it's not as widespread as wikipedia seems to estimate? (~60% of worlds population)

Anecdotes are just that...
    Aencdotes about rape are used to push the agenda that rape is everywhere in colleges.

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    No, but i'd say they're sufficient to prevent the "work or die" dichotomy you've been spouting.
    And the proof is? Where can you guarantee that all people in first world nations have a sufficient social net to live off without employment?

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go moving the goalposts again. Can't say I'm surprised anymore.....
    Playing along with people moving the goalposts isn't moving the goalposts; you could say I was complicit, but it's dishonest to say I was the one doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the proof is? Where can you guarantee that all people in first world nations have a sufficient social net to live off without employment?

Shouldn't you provide proof of your claim first? Since you know. You were the one to make it initially.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You do you. I'm going to stick with the evidence at hand, rather than making sure the situation conforms to my preexisting notions.
    You're right. It was wrong of me to automatically assume. That's just the way the overwhelming majority of these kinds of stories usually go, it's easy to get jaded I guess. Still though, I just don't buy the story. What kind of a company fires people for a simple petition?

Aencdotes about rape are used to push the agenda that rape is everywhere in colleges.

Just saying.
    Atleast not here.

I await their turn at the wheel.
    Me too. Wont be hard to top the current/last one that started two pointless money wasting wars that made the problem worse and didn't do so hot for the economy either . Weren't they that whole counter culture/hippie generation that all the old people back then hated and talked a ton of shit about? And my god the 80's, outside of movies uggggh.

Seems like most of the pro-firing group is of the "damn uppity youngsters, you're all entitled brats as I fail to see the irony dripping over my words" regardless of whether they actually did something warranting firing or not.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Bro, you said they were slaves. Don't fucking backpedal now.
    I said anyone who can't unilaterally exit from an employment contract without starving to death are slaves.

Not "all interns are slaves". Don't "fucking" change my assertions now.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Atleast not here.
    And the places I have worked haven't tried scummy tactics. If that's business culture, why didn't they go for it?

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Playing along with people moving the goalposts isn't moving the goalposts; you could say I was complicit, but it's dishonest to say I was the one doing it.
    Where's your proof that they and/or their loved ones will die without their current job?

Because at that point you're not just assuming that social safety nets are insufficient. You're also assuming that the worker/intern in question isn't able to find employment anywhere else.

There's such thing as professionalism, it's how they expect you to represent their company. If they don't like it they should find another job somewhere else. If it's a job with a strict dress code everywhere, it's a need to adapt. Adapting is a hard thing for people to do lately, they'd rather change everything else around them.

Dress policy has nothing to do with work ethics or treatment of people in the company. Professionalism. People should care how they look themselves as well.

Shouldn't you provide proof of your claim first? Since you know. You were the one to make it initially.
    My claim was that anyone who can't survive for a few days without employment is effectively a slave laborer.

I don't have to provide proof of numbers of said claim, because I didn't specifically say there were any number of people who fall into the category, but merely defined that category - the nuance of which you don't get.

If you want proof of my defining said category, here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery

For people who claim that all people in first world countries automatically do not fall into the "dichotomy" of "work or die", by virtue of being in a first world and the implications that come with said label, they then need to prove that it is indeed all people.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Me too. Wont be hard to top the current/last one that started two pointless money wasting wars that made the problem worse and didn't do so hot for the economy either . Weren't they that whole counter culture/hippie generation that all the old people back then hated and talked a ton of shit about? And my god the 80's, outside of movies uggggh.

Seems like most of the pro-firing group is of the "damn uppity youngsters, you're all entitled brats as I fail to see the irony dripping over my words" regardless of whether they actually did something warranting firing or not.
    You must have missed my intent.

I mean it will be THEIR turn to complain about the youths and their reckless ways. While those youths go on about how they'll fix everything those out of touch geezers broke.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    There's such thing as professionalism, it's how they expect you to represent their company. If they don't like it they should find another job somewhere else. If it's a job with a strict dress code everywhere, it's a need to adapt. Adapting is a hard thing for people to do lately, they'd rather change everything else around them.

Dress policy has nothing to do with work ethics or treatment of people in the company. Professionalism. People should care how they look themselves as well.
    Nah, man. I should be able to show up in ripped jeans, a slayer shirt, a flannel button up and 5 year old sneakers to your corporate casual business.

This was the description of what one of my roommate's coworkers showed up in. That person is not there anymore.

And the places I have worked haven't tried scummy tactics. If that's business culture, why didn't they go for it?
    Position in the company matters alot.