Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    There's such thing as professionalism, it's how they expect you to represent their company. If they don't like it they should find another job somewhere else. If it's a job with a strict dress code everywhere, it's a need to adapt. Adapting is a hard thing for people to do lately, they'd rather change everything else around them.

Dress policy has nothing to do with work ethics or treatment of people in the company. Professionalism. People should care how they look themselves as well.
    So if female employees were required to work topless in an office setting that would be okay? They shouldn't complain, but be more professional and 'adapt'.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo101 View Post
    So if female employees were required to work topless in an office setting that would be okay? They shouldn't complain, but be more professional and 'adapt'.
    So troll but i'll bite. What kind of place make people dress like that? Other than strip clubs where they are know they are going into that anyways?

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by luc54 View Post
    What's wrong with business casual? Why are people sto strict supporters of some stupid archaic strict standards for it. It's not like people are asking to come naked or with some shitty clothes anyway. People are way too strict when it comes to some completely meaningless things. Interraction in some business dealing is one thing, but to require it on some normal desk job is just plain stupid.

Although company can boot them out like that if they wan't. I just see it as unnecessarily strict and formal.
    It could be a lot of things, if I had to guess. They could be uncomfortable in those clothes, or perhaps not have many and so be forced to do laundry quite often for a small few outfits, or need to purchase more outfits just to be there. Considering that most interns don't get paid, they'd be paying money and time into something that only looks good on a resume and maybe gets them a reference.

That said, if they were having issues like that, you would've expected to see them come up, and they didn't. They just look like they wanted to dress a certain way and were upset they couldn't.

Wait.. wait..

They only found out about the guy who was allowed to break the dress code, AFTER they were fired? So.. none of these college students, while forming their X long page report, thought to ask the guy "Hey, why are you able to break the rules?" They just formed their petition, without knowing the full extent of the data, to present and expect to be acknowledged?

Also, if they were so against the dress code, why join the company in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    Where's your proof that they and/or their loved ones will die without their current job?

You were the one who made the initial claim that all people in first world nations have a sufficient social net to live off without employment. The onus is on you, not me, to prove what you claimed.

My onus was proving that my definition was correctly used when describing a set of conditions, and have sufficiently done so with a wikipedia link on what slavery entails.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Position in the company matters alot.
    Currently working in the same building/workfloor as the CEO and CFO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post
    Wait.. wait..

They only found out about the guy who was allowed to break the dress code, AFTER they were fired? So.. none of these college students, while forming their X long page report, thought to ask the guy "Hey, why are you able to break the rules?" They just formed their petition, without knowing the full extent of the data, to present and expect to be acknowledged?

Also, if they were so against the dress code, why join the company in the first place?
    Bolded is the most important part. NEVER heard of a job that doesn't inform you of dress code/guidelines af the interview to see if that raises flags.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    This is actually a good lesson learned as an intern. If you cant comply with a dress code, you dont accept a job. If someone is allowed to break the dress code, you inform yourself why it is allowed. Also peititioning your employee when you are new = no no. I think college kids have it a little too easy now, thinking the world is yours because you simply "exist".
    Agreed. It's pretty clear these interns felt entitled to come in and start making demands, only they made them to someone smart enough to put their foot down and tell these kids to GTFO. Frankly, they got what they deserve, and i hope they kept the one person that didn't sign on as further proof that you don't get what you want just because you demand it.

Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    College kids these days are being spoonfed that they can challenge their peers without casualty. Well now some of them have learned that that's not true, and quite a few more need to learn this too. You get a job, you do your job as intended, dress code or not. Don't bitch and moan to get your own way, then cry like a baby because you got your just desserts.

Fucking glad this happened. Hope it happens more.
    Nothing wrong with challenging your peers, but these aren't their peers, they were superiors.

I'm glad it happened too, and I wish the news focused more on this instead of click bait style news reporting.
    Last edited by Thetruth1400; 2016-07-02 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Currently working in the same building/workfloor as the CEO and CFO.
    I'm sure janitors do too. Doesn't say much. But when you are in position of power, it's not so easy to try scummy tactics on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post
    Wait.. wait..

Sometimes internships are assigned by the school rather than something students choose for themselves. Usually because these students didn't perform/score well in previous evaluations and exams.

The best internships are either offered to you by a reputable corporation, or ones that you successfully applied to and accepted on your own terms and negotiation.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I wonder if they've learned the hard-won lesson here or if they just feel even more absurdly self righteous. I'm guessing the latter.
    If I could be bothered to check I'm sure we'd find their Twitter/Facebook full with posts about how the man is keeping them down man. Or how he's triggered by reality

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    lol

I especially like the part about how they didn't even bother to look into why that person was wearing different shoes. Entitled brats.
    I especially like the part about how he even notices what shoes they are wearing

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Right - rather than saying, "hey man, sup with the sneakers?", their first thought was to tattle to the manager, and to so in a fashion that only a campus activist loon could love.
    Wouldn't surprise me if he was a teacher's pet his entire school life as well

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It really is disturbing to see how quick you guys are to act as if it's a cardinal sin to ask things.

I don't want to sound all dramatic about it, but have you all really been so well-trained to just never speak up, never ask anything, never look your boss in the eye?
    It's not a sin to ask things per se, but it is one to waste precious time and foster unhappiness and non-productivity in a workplace over frivolous matters.

Such as what shoes and clothes to wear at a start of an internship/employment and challenging reasonable standard practices in your workplace.

What the hell? Do these people think they have actual bargaining power as an employee in our country?

Deleted
    If it shows anything, it is that corporations do not want educated people who think. They want mindless drones who would never speak of workers rights or their low pay.
    Indeed. That's exactly my opinion. Someone challenged their authority and they sacked them. Instead of at least trying to explain why they think having that dress code is needed. Because someone dared challenge their authority instead of being a good drone.

This is better for those that were fired though, they can now find better companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithfin View Post
    Dress code dinosaurs will die out. Being unable to adjust to changing times is the most telling sign of impending doom for the company.
    Alas, I doubt it. Even looking at this thread you can still see countless replies like "good riddance" and the link. The dress code dinosaurs mold their children and those working for them without questions to their linking, and before you know it, more of them appear. Younger ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    If your boss asks for a coffee and you bring him a dress code petition, don't be surprised if they're a tad upset about it, especially if you're just an intern.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    What the hell? Do these people think they have actual bargaining power as an employee in our country?
    With the frivolity of the subject they are trying to bargain about, I doubt they have any power as an employee in any country.

Well sure, but that doesn't somehow preclude people from inquiring about change.
    It sure doesn't. And there can even be exceptions for special cases. But it does not mean the rule has to change just because a petition was made.

I think you and I agree with each other, really. We just have differing opinions on whether they should be struck down. I don't see the point of "fighting" them, outside of actual safety concerns. And you definitely shouldn't have your reason for termination be "Asked to wear open toed shoes". But I just don't see where having to wear a certain set of clothes is some terrible thing done by sadists. And that it MUST be changed because you got signatures.

Each one of those guys probably spent more time shitting than they did signing the petition. Can we stop acting like they cost the company millions in unproductive time?
    The fact that this early on in the internship or employment time was spent on breaking the harmony of the workplace and fostering unhappiness/starting drama is much more important than the aggregate hours/money wasted as a result.

Weeding out problems before they fester is never a bad decision when considering long term prospects of the company. Or anything you do, anyway.

I'm sure janitors do too. Doesn't say much. But when you are in position of power, it's not so easy to try scummy tactics on you.
    I did at my custodian job, too. And he gave leeway on shoes for medical/stress reasons. Still enforced uniform codes. Not a horrible person.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    It's not a sin to ask things per se, but it is one to waste precious time and foster unhappiness and non-productivity in a workplace over frivolous matters.

Such as what shoes and clothes to wear at a start of an internship/employment and challenging reasonable standard practices in your workplace.
    Oh no, they wasted like 1, maybe 2 full minutes signing their names! I think I waste more than that going to the toilet and pissing!

And of course, the reasonable standard practice of going formal in a place with no customers... a practice I haven't heard about in decades because it made no sense.

Well, no, I never suggested that it MUST change. They could just say no.
    Indeed. And so I now ask you a different, but related question.

Is it okay to continue asking/strike/cause unrest if the request is denied? I'm not saying they did any of these. These are just the most likely/hyperbolic/hyperbolic outcomes if the no isn't accepted.

Is it really that terrible to wear khakis and a shirt with a collar?