Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[TV] Your top 5 shows over the past few years?

One of my closest friends doesn't watch TV often, so I never get to talk about stuff I've watched. If you watch movies and tv shows often, you'd know how frustrating it can be having something happen in it - and not being able to talk about it!

I'm making this thread because I want to know what's your top list of TV shows over the past 5 years, and why?
    It can be TV shows or webshows that are still running or cancelled.
    I might have bad taste and I might like a lot of mainstream stuff but I'll start with my top 5.

1. Orange is The New Black
    I've seen all four seasons (that's out so far) and it's honestly one of the best web series out there, if not the best. I'm not into a prison setting but when I first watched it, I just ended up binge watchng the whole first season.. and every season that's come out since. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

2. Forever
    So sad that this was cancelled. If you've never seen it, it's about a guy named Henry who's immortal and he works at a morgue. Sounds boring, right?
    Wrong. It was a pretty good show, the character developments were dragged out over the single season pretty well and made me want to see what happened next.. but I guess I'll never find out.

3. Breaking Bad
    An obvious choice for some people. I didn't exactly like the first season because it was a little boring and then it just turned itself around. It had great character development and some pretty good moments in TV. It's a shame I didn't like the spinoff show it's not "Breaking Bad" to me.

4. American Horror Story
    I've not actually watched the latest season (Hotel), which started airing almost a year ago, but I can't deny that the past seasons made the best TV show of that year. The coven witchery season was one of my favourite, alongside Asylum and then Freakshow - I even own some irl collectables. Jessica Lange gave the show a name and now she's not even in it anymore, it doesn't feel like AHS. There's rumours of the next season being on a Cruiseship.

5. Once Upon a Time
    This freaking show. It's so stupid. Why do I like a fairy tail TV show?! It sounds so childish but it's not meant for children.
    If you don't know about it, it's a modern day fairytale show - the people in the show were cursed from their homeland to live in modern day earth by the Snow White villain, the Evil Queen. Everyone lost their memories and got new identities but so much has happened and it's probably one of my favourite tv shows of all time. There's even a spinoff set in Wonderland, it follows Alice and the Villain from Aladdin - jafar?

I have ALOT of honorable mentions too:
    • Fear The Walking Dead
    • Scandal
    • The Strain
    • The 100
    • Under The Dome
    • Stalker
    • Arrow
    • The Flash
    • Legends of Tomorrow
    • Marvels Agents of SHIELD.
    • Marvels Agent Carter.
    • Stalker
    • Sherlock
    • Gotham
    • Extant

Also my newest favourite show, which I've just started watching. Devious Maids.

10+ Year Old Account
    5: Daredevil. Really this is a vote for the whole MarvelFlix universe. DD season one was amazing, then they just kept getting better and better with the release of Jessica Jones and season two of DD. Can't wait for Luke Cage, Iron Fist, JJ2, The Punisher and The Defenders miniseries. Plus the rumoured Blade, Ghost Rider and Moon Knight shows.

4: Vikings. I love Vikings and the history channel has done a great job of telling a believable and moderately accurate tale. Plus, Ragnar Lothbrok.

3: Game Of Thrones. While I have my problems with it, I still tune in every week to watch. Plus, Battle of the Bastards and Winds of Winter were both exceptionally good. The Hound FTW.

2: Mr Robot. A new contender, but coming out strong. Only one season so far, with a second coming out very soon, but it was one hell of a season

1: Orphan Black. Nothing comes close, an absolute masterpiece of a show that doesn't get anywhere near the recognition it deserves. Season four was stunningly good.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakaryy View Post
    There's even a spinoff set in Wonderland, it follows Alice and the Villain from Aladdin - jafar?
    Which got canceled faster then made ;(

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Game of Thrones - Don't really think I need to say much about this. Fantasy world that by it's end will be on par with Lord of the Rings. It has flaws, sure, but far less than other shows that try to be as ambitious.

2. Black Mirror - No show has my attention locked like this one. Even though I've never seen the Twilight Zone, people describe it as a modern day version. It's hard to describe it since every episode is so different, but it explores some very dark and real topics in a brilliant way.

3. Daredevil - Before S2 Jessica Jones probably would've taken this spot, but Season 2 was brilliant. I loved Jon Berenthal's Frank Castle. I loved Elektra as well although her being a secret weapon or something I thought was a little strange as someone who doesn't know her from the comics. Regardless, Season 2 took what Season 1 did great and did it even better. Marvel is in a new Golden Age right now.

4. The Flash - Is it campy? Yes. Can the romance be lame sometimes? Yes. But I love it nonetheless. The showrunners keep faithful to the source material and ultimately have fun with it. I love Grant Gustin as The Flash.

5. The Walking Dead - Okay, honestly I am in a love/hate relationship with this show. When it's great ITS REALLY FUCKING GREAT. But when its bad, I fucking hate it. I feel like Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead are two shows that kinda became known as the shows that weren't afraid to kill their characters, but while Game of Thrones always feels like there's a purpose behind the killings, The Walking Dead fills like they kill characters to fill a quota some times. Regardless, I'm still gonna be watching for a while.

Honorable mentions:

The 100
    Jessica Jones
    House of Cards
    Orange Is The New Black
    Louie
    Person of Interest
    Mad Men

We'll I'll mention a couple of my favorites , some were mentioned but a lot weren't, to be fair I am a fantasy/sci fi lover so my choices will lean in that direction.

Medieval or classical/historical setting :

-Penny dreadful ( the most morbidly beautiful work of art made ).
    -Game of Thrones( duh).
    -Vikings.
    -Black sails ( the pirate version of vikings).
    -Outlander (this show is amazing yet not many people know of it).

Modern fantasy/sci fi:

-The magicians ( modern day harry potter story tailored towards a more grown up audience).
    -Fringe ( The X-files but 10x more about physics and science, you'll find everything from time travel and dimensional travel here ).
    -12 monkeys (next level time travel).
    -Orphan Black.
    -Damien.
    -The expanse ( futuristic sci fi with very well written plot and a lot of conspiracies and political play ).

1. Community - Sitcom, a show willing to make it as wacky as possible week to week. I loved the show, the characters, and the setting.
    2. Game of Thrones - A show that i feel stumbles almost never, and has been consistently great for me since the beginning, similar to number 3 on my list.
    3. Breaking Bad - Obvious choice, but a fantastic show that deserved all the praise it got.
    4. Fargo - If not for the weird ending to one of the season 2 episodes this could easily be number 2. Fantastic show, small town but huge stories. Lots of well known actor/actresses turning out great performances consistently.
    4. Archer - Animated comedy, some of the smartest writing I've seen on a TV show with tons of awesome references, both directly and through homage.

I would put Sherlock but I feel calling it a TV show is a bit of a cop out, its basically 10 specials over the course of 6 years. But otherwise it would defintiely be somewher e on my list as it is fantastic whatever you want to call it.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2016-07-05 at 08:24 AM.

Deleted
    1. Game of Thrones
    2. Mr. Robot
    3. Archer
    4. Daredevil
    5. Justified

Several great shows bubblin' under, but didn't cut it past my personal tastes.

Trailer Park Boys
    Spartacus
    Game of Thrones
    Vikings
    Breaking Bad

Married With Children is my all time favorite but that's old now, same with Rome.

Game of Thrones, Sherlock and Rick & Morty.

I'm sure I could come up with two more, but there'd be a huge gap between these three and the rest, since these are the shows I've been hungering for, discussing tin foil theories on the intrawebz about, and being just generally all fanboy over. Putting two "just good" shows alongside them would feel silly.

Also, lol at people saying Mr. Robot. That series was atrocious, and just another series gathering hype through mysterious suspense they have no idea of how they are going to follow up in a decent way. Same as LOST, or the first season of Heroes, etc.

Hannibal - the serie (so much better as the movies...come on season 4)
    Banshee
    The Americans

possible takers for rest of the top 5

Sopranos (despite the end)
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Sall (if they speed it up a bit of make more episodes per season)

Special recommendation:

Pablo Escobar: El Patrón del Mal (1 season - 74 episodes: absolutely classic / cult to watch....much, much better as Narcos)

Assuming within the last 5 years of air date:

1. Game of Thrones
    2. Louie
    3. Breaking Bad
    4. Rick & Morty
    5. Daredevil

Also enjoyed: True Detective, Jessica Jones, Orange is the New Black, Fargo, Mad Men, Spartacus and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Deleted
    1) Game of Thrones
    2) Breaking Bad
    3) Better call Saul
    4) American Crime Story
    5) True Detective - Vikings (both have there good and bad moments in my opinion so a shared 5e place)

Deleted
    1. Mr.Robot - Amazing first season, love the story, actor crew, camerwork, music and sheer number of details/popculture references in every episode. It seems that whole series come out of nowhere and sucked me in for good. Fsociety!
    2. House of Cards - Seasons 1/2 are simply a masterpieces, Kevin Spacey is killing it, and so does Robin Wright. The best politcal drama there is.
    3. Breaking Bad & Better Call Saul - Not much to say, the most interesting series I have ever seen(B R A V O V I N C E). 5 seasons of BB and 2 seasons of BCS and it seems that each season is even better, more detailed and well done.
    4. Utopia - Where is Jessica Hyde? One of the most underrated series, sadly cancelled after 2nd season. Amazing and unique suffused colors creating weird/mysterious atmoshpere of the scenes, actor choices are spot on (arby/jessica are perfect) ,wonderful soundtrack and very interesting story that makes you question if "bad" guys are really the enemies.
    5. Homeland - While last seasons aren't at the level of first 3, it still is one of the best and most gripping series and I love Claire Danes as biploar super spy

Honorable mentions:
    Billions - Very good series, looking forward to season 2.
    Dexter - If it ended after season 4 it would probably be top1 on my list, sadly in last seasons it went downhill alot.
    GoT - Love the series but number of inequalities in episode quality is too big (there is alot of really "weak" episodes and plot lines and while others compensate for it, it still feels that if you could have even higher budget and more time it could be made "perfect").
    Lucifer - Very light and funny series, one of the only non drama series I have watched and enjoyed.
    Last edited by mmoc918bec3ce7; 2016-07-04 at 03:19 PM.

This will be pretty hard for me to rank but Ill do my best.

1. Breaking Bad - good story, great acting
    1. Better Call Saul - IMO this is tied with Breaking Bad and I can see this being #1 once it finishes
    3. GoT - no need to explain
    4. Orange is the New Black - amazing characters, very good writing and creating personal stories
    5. TURN - really good at making you root for both sides

Honorable Mentions

House of Cards - Frank Underwood is devious
    Sons of Anarchy - amazing, could have been in my top 5
    Louie - minus the kids, this is my life!
    Walking Dead - adding Negan was cool but I have to be honest, Im ready for this show to end
    Homeland - the first 3 seasons were too good
    Parks and Rec - Ron Swanson
    Marco Polo - some of my friends dont really like Kublai but I think Benedict Wong does an awesome job

Black Mirror, Mr Robot, Narcos have great potential but Im not putting anything with just one season up there. Im very interested in how the new Twin Peaks turns out.

My all time favorite show: Seinfeld

Since it seems we're talking shows that aired in the past 5 years, rather than STARTED in the past 5 years, I'll go:

Sons of Anarchy
    Breaking Bad
    Justified
    Community
    Daredevil

Honorable mentions go to Better Call Saul, Fargo, Vikings, Parks & Rec.

Yes, I have never seen a single episode of GoT.

1: Breaking Bad

2: True Blood

3: Defiance

4: Daredevil

5: Rick and Morty

In no particular order: Daredevil, Mr. Robot, (earlier) Game of Thrones, Sherlock (UK) and Hannibal

In no particular order:
    - The Flash
    - Doctor Who
    - The 100
    - Daredevil
    - Agents of Shield

Honorable mentions:
    - Lucifer
    - iZombie
    - Legends of Tomorrow
    - Arrow (season 1 & 2, not the Felicity Show that came afterwards)
    - Orphan Black
    - How To Get Away With Murder
    - Sherlock
    - Limitless
    - Constantine, Forever, Agent Carter, Galavant & The Tomorrow People, all of which were cancelled
    Last edited by Adoxe; 2016-07-04 at 08:44 PM.

Breaking bad
    Game of Thrones
    Outlander
    Black Sails
    ?

I don't really watch a lot of tv shows, going to give Vikings a try one of these days though.

Deleted
    1. Game of Thrones
    2. The Americans 2013
    3. Homeland
    4. Orange is the New Black
    5. The Walking Dead

Honorable mentions:
    • Battlestar Galactica 2004
    • Heroes 2006 (season 1)
    • Dexter 2006 (season 1-4)
    • 24 2001 (season 1 and 2)
    • True Blood 2008 (season 1-4)
    • Marvel Agents of SHIELD
    • The Night Manager
    • Marvel's Agents Carter
    • Marvel's Jessica Jones
    • The Leftovers
    • The Saboteurs
    • Les Revenants
    • Wayward Pines

Currently watching:
    • Preacher (latest episode is really good)
    • Dark Matter (start of season 2)
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-07-04 at 10:11 PM.