New computer for streaming, need advice

Budget = 1100
    Resolution = 1600 x 900 - (more specific questions on this below)
    Games / Settings Desired - hoping for max settings in current games with consistent fps above 60
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) = i want to be able to stream games like LoL/OW
    Country = USA
    Parts that can be reused = i have an SSD and external usb harddrives for storage
    Do you need an OS? = Yes, im a student so get free OS, plan to go ahead and use windows 10
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? = no, my monitor is 1600 x 900 res max, i do play to upgrade my monitors later at some point, so i would like to be able to use monitors in the 1080p range if i decide to, but honestly i don't see a real difference between monitor resolutions (a friend of mine has a 4k monitor, my eyes must just be bad cause i can't see the big deal)

i know monitor resolution from other threads can play a big role in performance. My current build is a mix of the two upper budge computer builds on MMO-C

Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 80 Plus Gold Rated, Fully Modular ATX 12V/EPS 12V ECO Mode Power Supply 220-G2-0650-Y1
    Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz 8M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151 BX80662I76700K
    ASUS Z170-A ATX DDR4 Motherboards
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz (PC4-24000) C15 Memory Kit - Black
    EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC Gaming ACX 2.0+ Cooling Graphics Card (04G-P4-3975-KR)

i plan to get an aftermarket cooler for cpu, but just havn't decided on one yet.

from what ive read cpu seems to be a bigger factor in the lower margin of FPS, and gpu for the upper end, can this system which is already running me just over 1k do what im hoping? and be future proof? i normally use a computer for 4 years before upgrading.

some extra info about resolution and any other advice would be great

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xnedra View Post
    so i would like to be able to use monitors in the 1080p range if i decide to, but honestly i don't see a real difference between monitor resolutions (a friend of mine has a 4k monitor, my eyes must just be bad cause i can't see the big deal)
    Such honesty!
    Chances are, your friend is not playing 4k at ultra settings at a fast FPS. to be able to do that you need a total monster of a rig.

The parts you picked look solid enough, I am running a similar set up (I5 instead of I7, slightly more ram) and I have started to mess round with streaming using shadowplay whilst playing overwatch at 1080p, you wont notice any performance hit at all. Not tried other games yet or other broadcast software.

I have read that the CPU / GPU combo that I have will last me at least 3 years, and then I would probably have to upgrade GPU / add a second to keep up with ultra settings at 1080p.

Cooling wise you WILL have to get an aftermarket cooler, no of the Skylake K series come with a cooler. Get yourself a decent AIO and your all set.

ah yes sorry the 4k monitor i referenced was just watching movies and youtube and stuff, no idea how it looks in games honestly, just not a big deal to me

- - - Updated - - -

so is the 970 good enough? should i upgrade to a 980, and downgrade cpu as suggested on the mmo build, or is the fact i wanna stream/use low resolution a good reason to keep the setup i suggested?

any help with a cooler would be nice, the one on the MMO-C page doesnt work for the 6700 socket from what i can tell.

Deleted
    so is the 970 good enough? should i upgrade to a 980, and downgrade cpu as suggested on the mmo build, or is the fact i wanna stream/use low resolution a good reason to keep the setup i suggested?
    GTx 970's are not worth it now that new gen is out unless on a tight budget and gpu on a great sale. Streaming is not that demanding so i feel the i7 is not really needed you can be fine with an i5 and instead pump the gpu up. A gtx1070 can have you play @1440p resolution easy.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($55.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($147.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($63.99 @ Mac Mall)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.98 @ Newegg)
    Gpu: Gigabyte gtx 1070 G1 ($430.00)
    Total: $1066.83
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-04 05:19 EDT-0400

Only things I noticed about your original build which Kostattoo already pointed out and fixed two of them. Is that the 970 isn't worth the price anymore, either you go for the lower end but better budget card the RX 480 or go with the higher end more expensive 1070 (Personally I would always buy the 1070 if you can afford it). 6700k really isn't worth it unless you're planning to do some streaming/video editing or in general heavier cpu bound tasks.

Other thing I noticed is the case in your original build is fairly pricey you could go with a less flashy case and instead put the money on something that will increase your performance. Which Kostattoo did in his build yay him

One curiosity tho in your original build you went with 3000Mhz, Kostattoo went with 2400Mhz ram. @Kostattoo I've been hearing this more and more lately but apparently people claim you get a performance benefit from faster ram along with the Skylake platform. Personally I've always thought and been told ram speed doesn't affect performance nowa days. But if I'm wrong I'd like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Only things I noticed about your original build which Kostattoo already pointed out and fixed two of them. Is that the 970 isn't worth the price anymore, either you go for the lower end but better budget card the RX 480 or go with the higher end more expensive 1070 (Personally I would always buy the 1070 if you can afford it). 6700k really isn't worth it unless you're planning to do some streaming/video editing or in general heavier cpu bound tasks.

Other thing I noticed is the case in your original build is fairly pricey you could go with a less flashy case and instead put the money on something that will increase your performance. Which Kostattoo did in his build yay him

One curiosity tho in your original build you went with 3000Mhz, Kostattoo went with 2400Mhz ram. @Kostattoo I've been hearing this more and more lately but apparently people claim you get a performance benefit from faster ram along with the Skylake platform. Personally I've always thought and been told ram speed doesn't affect performance nowa days. But if I'm wrong I'd like to know.
    the comment about the 6700k is what im super interested about, kostattoo says streaming shouldnt effect my choice here on processor, do you also feel the 6600 is good enough for streaming games?

the comment about the 6700k is what im super interested about, kostattoo says streaming shouldnt effect my choice here on processor, do you also feel the 6600 is good enough for streaming games?
    I've also been told I'm wrong for thinking this Kostattoo is right a 6600k is enough to stream perfectly fine yeah. I've kind of been swayed to the other side as of late, you'll see an improvement with the 6700k if you plan to stream. I honestly don't know the details here I haven't really researched this that much. I'll tag @chazus in I believe he was the one that argued the 6700k was worth it for streaming/longevity.

(If you weren't chazus sorry xD)

It has mostly to do that streaming programs havent really changed but CPU's have, its not 2011 anymore so streaming 1080p is easier than before considering all things and getting a 1070 over not getting an i7 is a smarter idea, especially for gaming overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    There is no big difference unless you are doing particular benchmarks, thats where you only see a massive difference.

I had read a report on DDR3 ranging from 1033 to 3.000 and the differences where only in particular timings/Hz, otherwise there wasnt any difference.

Examples i remember by heart, his tests said: CL 8/1600MHz was like the default first gain over 1033/1333 and then putting 1866 or 2133 was useless, there wasnt even a 0.5% difference in gaming, but moment he put 2400MHZ/CL11 there was suddenly a bigger (still small) difference.

Which means the jump to see any actual difference was to go 1600MHz-->2400.

I think the next jump was something like 3000?

This was in DDR3 but DDR4 isnt any difference, the logic behind it is that the 2% difference you might see, isnt worth the insane amount of money (Especially in DDR3 days) needed for it, now the cost isnt as much but its generally no point at all.

Always talking gaming wise, there are certain benchmarks where even going 1600 to 1866 you see a difference, but in actual every day use there isnt even a 0.2% difference.
    Last edited by potis; 2016-07-04 at 10:42 AM.

I7 if you are going to be gaming, streaming, and recording at the same time, and/or doing a lot of video rendering for youtube, etc.

I5 if you are only going to be gaming and streaming at the same time.

The hyperthreading is a noticeable difference when recording and rendering.

15+ Year Old Account

DDR4 RAM does make a difference in speed and FPS and this is just this list of games, more and more are affected like this a great deal.
    Skylake is the first generation of CPUs that actually give a damn to DDR speeds so yes I would say grab up to a max. of 3200MHz and no more than that.

Also whilst streaming can be done off the GPU and Intel QuickSynch the quality of both is subpar compared to pure CPU streaming.
    If you can live with the slightly lower quality than go i5 with the 1070, if you must have the best streaming quality then pony up a bit more money and get an i7 and the 1070 along with it.

Let me be clear:
    You don't NEED an i7 with nVidia's ShadowPlay and Intel's QuickSynch but having said that if you're a crazy person like me who wants better streaming quality then you WANT the i7 as it really has a superior streaming quality at the same bitrates and settings.

thx for the info, i guess ill go ahead and save up and just do a build at the end of the month for 1200 instead of 1100 and get the i7 and the 1070. was hoping that since i don't mind lower resolution i could save money.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    DDR4 RAM does make a difference i speed and FPS and this is just this list of games, more and more are affected like this a great deal.
    Skylake is the first generation of CPUs that actually give a damn to DDR speeds so yes I would say grab up to a max. of 3200MHz and no more than that.

Also whilst streaming can be done off the GPU and Intel QuickSynch the quality of both is subpar compared to pure CPU streaming.
    If you can live with the slightly lower quality than go i5 with the 1070, if you must have the best streaming quality then pony up a bit more money and get an i7 and the 1070 along with it.

Let me be clear:
    You don't NEED an i7 with nVidia's ShadowPlay and Intel's QuickSynch but having said that if you're a crazy person like me who wants better streaming quality then you WANT the i7 as it really has a superior streaming quality at the same bitrates and settings.
    So, the single player ones, half of them console ports see a difference, and the pure PC games dont.

According to the video you linked at least, Crysis 3 and BF4 which are the only games that actually matter in that video as benchmarks.

I did notice however during the heavier scenes there was a 10% difference in minimum FPS so there is a legit reason.

I love how the FPS in CoD during explosions is mostly the same but during building destruction you see the same 10% difference xD
    Last edited by potis; 2016-07-04 at 11:13 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    So, the single player ones, half of them console ports see a difference, and the pure PC games dont.

According to the video you linked at least, Crysis 3 and BF4 which are the only games that actually matter in that video as benchmarks.

I did notice however during the heavier scenes there was a 10% difference in minimum FPS so there is a legit reason.

I love how the FPS in CoD during explosions is mostly the same but during building destruction you see the same 10% difference xD
    Whether you like it or not but all games matter, console port or not.

The thing is that purely PC developed games are rare and those that have advanced to the next step are hard to benchmark.
    But almost all games actually gain something from the RAM speed increase whether it's a more stable FPS count or frametime during a lot of shit happening on screen or just a plain performance boost all around.

The simple gist of it is that is worth it picking up to a max. of 3200MHz of DDR4 after which diminishing returns set in etc.

There are other such games and benchmarks of different games and they all corroborate what DigitalFoundry shows.
    There is a tangible performance benefit for the first time in many years to have fast RAM with Skylake.

Deleted
    Well i think it really comes down to prices. I generally try to be in the 2400-2666-3000Mhz not just for the minimal performance pump but for overclocking as well. But if at "x" given time 3000Mhz is 20bucks over 2400Mhz and those 20bucks are going to get me a nicer board cause of budget, then for me the mobo will be worth it more than ram. Obviously if budget is not a problem you can fit all and be good.

For the i5 vs i7 if you only game and stream i feel i5 is enough. IF on top of those you want to be recording and running a few other thingsor do regular video rendering then the i7 will give you that extra "buffer". Again comes down to budget. Cause if you don't really need an i7 and those extra 100bucks can get you a gtx1070 instead of 970 then its a no brainer you prefer the gpu boost.

7+ Year Old Account
    Windows 10
    I don't like security or control over my information too!

i plan to get an aftermarket cooler for cpu, but just havn't decided on one yet.
    Corsair Hydro Series

You will be more than fine with this setup. I built a computer very similar to this except with a 2011-v3 CPU for a buddy of mine for his streaming and content creation and he is more than satisfied with the results.

Question: Why such low resolution? It won't be good for recording/streaming at all, will seriously hamper quality...