10+ Year Old Account

Alternative to Military Press: The Landmine?

Hey guys, I'm having a ton of trouble with doing a Military/Overhead press.

I have good form, keeping my weight on my heels, legs spread just past shoulders, grip a little wider than that. Followed the Buff Dudes video to a tee, but I can't press even the bar without getting some real discomfort on my back and shoulders. I pushed myself and added 10 pounds last time I did this (probably a week and a half ago) and had some serious soreness, so I'm done with Military Press.

A Landmine Press has been recommended to me to work the same area but with less shoulder stress, but I'm not sure of what kind of weight I should be using. Here's my routine and my current comfortable/tough weights. I exclude the Barbell weight (45lbs) from my notes, just so it's easier for me to understand the weight that I'm adding.

My Beginner Routine.

I've been doing this for about a month now and I've noticed improvement already. I didn't start at those weight, I started at about half that for most of the routines. I've enjoyed it a lot, and I still do! Lunges can be punishing at the end of the routine, but it's really only the Military Press that's giving me trouble. It's the one part of the entire workout that I have not been able to improve upon. DB Military Press is fine, but Barbell is impossible and painful.

With my weights in mind, what would you guys recommend I try for Landmine weights?

And just to clarify, since there seems to be 50 names for every this is what I'm referring to when I say a Landmine Press:

And this is what I mean by a Military Press:
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2016-07-04 at 05:47 PM.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

My problem with the landmine press is how much room it takes. If it's anywhere near peak time at my gym, it's just too packed to really do.

Military press is a great routine, but it's very specialized and needs to be done in increments. Start at low weight until you get comfortable with the movement. Proper form is way more important than trying to get more weight on. Get a good spotter (one that can help you improve your form) and tackle it slowly.

7+ Year Old Account
    When I started doing Military Press, I'd do it with in a probably bad form. I just couldn't put on more weights despite getting better at other excercises.
    I read about doing Kneeling Military Press. You'll gonna have to lower the weights, but that way, you don't use your legs for that extra pump while lifting, and it also engage the abs.
    "You can wear whatever costume you want for Halloween and it's totally cool but here's a list of costumes I'll shame you for and call you sexist and racist if you do wear them"
    - Laci Green 2015.