Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Visting Dublin/Belfast qustions

Do I need a car in these cities?

Deleted
    never been to either of those 2 cities, but i'd say probably not. maybe if you're planning to drive from one to the other, but for getting around the citites themselves, public transport is probably a better option if they are anything like other european cities.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    never been to either of those 2 cities, but i'd say probably not. maybe if you're planning to drive from one to the other, but for getting around the citites themselves, public transport is probably a better option if they are anything like other european cities.
    from what I read you dont for dublin.

Belfast well idk yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HillaryJtrump View Post
    from what I read you dont for dublin.

Belfast well idk yet.
    i dont think either are particularly large cities, so unless you plan on travelling out of the city, or just hate public transport, its kind of a waste of money imo, and if they are anything like other european cities, public transport is a lot faster than driving anyway

Actually planning a trip of my own over there too. The GF wants to go to the Titanic Museum. Is there anything else to do while there, such as Zoos, Galleries, Parks, Museums and such?

And how is it getting around? Is there reliable and frequent buses / trains we can use? Talking exclusively about Belfast here.
    Last edited by Hyve; 2016-07-05 at 10:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to fit in with the locals in Belfast, hire a car.

...then set it on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    If you want to fit in with the locals in Belfast, hire a car.

...then set it on fire.

whats that ? a Taxi?

10+ Year Old Account
    whats that ? a Taxi?
    No, Belfast had (probably still has) something of a reputation...

Deleted
    European driving often scares the crap out of people from the US for the first few months. It isn't like we have grid systems in towns and cities with everything except a residential backstreet being double wide. Plus you would have to cope with all that while driving on the left. Forget it and use public transport and taxis unless you are a thrill seeker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    No, Belfast had (probably still has) something of a reputation...

I can google bad things about any country. Like Malta, taking one example completely at random

http://www.hiddeneurope.co.uk/maltese-arrivals

As for the OP, Belfast is a nice city however it depends on when you are arriving. As much as Kalis pulling up a negative image of the city is a bit stereotypical, if it is any time in the next two weeks then there could be a few issues.

Early July is the height of the Marching Season up here. For the most part it passes peacefully but there are some locations where it can lead to a lot of tension. So just be mindful of that.

In terms of transport Belfast has good Taxi services and a well developed public bus network. I am not sure about renting a car but I hate driving in any city so I try and avoid it.

In terms of things to see, there is the Zoo, the Titanic museum (which I enjoyed)...you can go on a mural tour where you'll be taken around the city and see some of our world famous gable wall paintings.

In truth it's not a big city. You'd be as well to include the entire North of Ireland in your itinerary and maybe make time to go see the Giant's Causeway while you are in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    I can google bad things about any country. Like Malta, taking one example completely at random

As for the OP, Belfast is a nice city however it depends on when you are arriving. As much as Kalis pulling up a negative image of the city is a bit stereotypical, if it is any time in the next two weeks then there could be a few issues.

Early July is the height of the Marching Season up here. For the most part it passes peacefully but there are some locations where it can lead to a lot of tension. So just be mindful of that.

In terms of transport Belfast has good Taxi services and a well developed public bus network. I am not sure about renting a car but I hate driving in any city so I try and avoid it.

In terms of things to see, there is the Zoo, the Titanic museum (which I enjoyed)...you can go on a mural tour where you'll be taken around the city and see some of our world famous gable wall paintings.

In truth it's not a big city. You'd be as well to include the entire North of Ireland in your itinerary and maybe make time to go see the Giant's Causeway while you are in the area.
    coming in Sept,

10+ Year Old Account
    coming in Sept,
    You'll be fine. Not a bad time of year either. Just remember the country is essentially always wet so bring a good coat. If you see the Giant's Causeway and still want to see more, continue on the road to Derry. Derry is one of the last cities in Europe to still keep it's walls and is a very picturesque place. There is plenty of stuff to do in the North...you just have to be ready to roam to get there.

But the Giant's Casueway is pretty much a must. You'll never see anything else like it.

10+ Year Old Account

I am not Maltese, slag them off as much as you want.

Though your link is actually not a bad thing, illegal immigrants being housed seems like an act of kindness to me.

You'll be fine. Not a bad time of year either. Just remember the country is essentially always wet so bring a good coat. If you see the Giant's Causeway and still want to see more, continue on the road to Derry. Derry is one of the last cities in Europe to still keep it's walls and is a very picturesque place. There is plenty of stuff to do in the North...you just have to be ready to roam to get there.

But the Giant's Casueway is pretty much a must. You'll never see anything else like it.

Well i am going on this

07:45 Meet the guide in front of TopShop, Chichester Street, Belfast
    The coach will arrive around 07:45. It will have ‘Eamonn Rooney’ written on the side.
    08:00 Departure
    Depart from Chichester Street, taking the Causeway Coastal Route, passing Carrickfergus Castle and Magheramorne Quarry, location of Castle Black and the Wall.
    09:30 Comfort stop at Carnlough
    Morning comfort stop for coffee and restrooms.
    10:15 Photo stop at Cushendun Caves
    Photo stop in the caves where Melisandre gave birth to a dark spirit.
    11:00 Cross Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge and Visit Renly’s Camp in the Stormlands
    Cross Carrick-a-rede rope bridge, but don’t look down, it’s 30m (98 ft) to the rocks below! Photo stop at Larrybane Chalk Quarry, where Brienne bested Ser Loras Tyrell and Catelyn brought news of Robb’s rebellion to Renly and his army.
    12:30 Lunch in the Fullerton Arms
    A charming guesthouse, restaurant and pub in Ballintoy on the north coast, see www.fullerton-arms.com.
    13:45 Visit the Iron Islands
    Visit to Ballintoy Harbour, location where Theon came ashore on Pyke Island, where Theon later rededicated his faith to the ‘Drowned God’, where Ser Davos seeks the help of Salladhor Saan for the Battle of Blackwater Bay, and where Gendry escapes Dragonstone in a rowing boat.
    14:45 Visit the Giant’s Causeway
    Visit to the UNESCO World Heritage site, the geological marvel of 40,000 interlocking basalt columns, formed in the Paleogene Period, 50-60 million years ago.
    16:00 Photo stop at Dunluce Castle
    Photo stop at the dramatic ruins of Dunluce, perched on the north coast sea cliffs since the 17th century.
    16:45 Photo stop at the Dark Hedges
    Photo stop at the haunting avenue of beech trees, through which Arya and Gendry escaped King’s Landing.
    18:00 Arrival at Top Shop, Chichester Street
    Arrival and drop-off of all customers at Top Shop, Chichester Street, Belfast.
    Do you know any of that stuff?

Are you Local? I will buy you a beer while I am out There

10+ Year Old Account
    Well i am going on this

Do you know any of that stuff?

Are you Local? I will buy you a beer while I am out There
    Ha I actually live in the west but I visit Belfast sometimes.

Your tour seems fine to me...you're cramming in everything except it Derry it seems and you've got the Causeway which is pretty much a must.

The only other thing of note missing is the Titanic museum but you maybe out of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smashorc View Post
    European driving (...) Plus you would have to cope with all that while driving on the left
    I may be wrong here, but everyone in Europe - except the UK - drives on the right.

Edit: Sorry, did you mean driving on the left side of your car or the road?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    I may be wrong here, but everyone in Europe - except the UK - drives on the right.

Edit: Sorry, did you mean driving on the left side of your car or the road?
    Ireland and the UK drive on the same side of the road, as do Malta and Cyprus, the rest of Europe does drive on the wrong side though.

Ha I actually live in the west but I visit Belfast sometimes.

Your tour seems fine to me...you're cramming in everything except it Derry it seems and you've got the Causeway which is pretty much a must.

The only other thing of note missing is the Titanic museum but you maybe out of time.

Gonna be in belfast 3 days.

That tour is 1 of the 3

- - - Updated - - -

Is a drive to Derry worth it?

Day 1 9/4/2016 Dublin
    Spire of Dublin
    Ashtown Castle
    Dublin Castle
    Guinness Factory

Day 2 9/05/2016 Belfast
    Irish Republican History Museum
    Albert Memorial Clock, Belfast
    Belfast cathedral
    Belfast City Hall
    Golden Mile (Belfast)

Day 3 9/06/2016 Belfast
    Belfast Political & Mural Tour Black Taxi
    Belfast Historical Buildings Tour Black Taxi

9/07/2016 Belfast
    Game of Tour

Day 4 09/08//2016 Dublin
    St. Patrick’s cathedral
    Christ church cathedral
    Kilmainham gaol

Day 5 09/09/2016 Dublin
    trinity college Dublin Book of Kells

Day 6 09/10/2016 Flying out!

Did i miss anything?

Deleted
    Visit the murales in Belfast, and both falls road and shankill road. They're places that were at war just years ago. You can still see the barricades dividing the two streets and its creepy. Somewhat unique though. Something you wouldn't expect in Europe.