The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Exclamation 'Super bacteria' discovered in Rio's waters as Olympics near

Rio de Janeiro (CNN) A group of Brazilian scientists has detected a drug-resistant bacteria growing off some of Rio de Janeiro's most stunning beaches, in research being published a month before the city hosts the 2016 Olympic Games.

According to lead researcher Renata Picao, the "super bacteria" entered the city's waterways when sewage coming from local hospitals got channeled into the bay.
    "We have been looking for 'super bacteria' in coastal waters during a one-year period in five beaches," Picao told CNN during a visit to her lab. "We found that the threats occur in coastal waters in a variety of concentrations and that they are strongly associated with pollution." The samples were collected between 2013 and 2014. The superbug found was carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae, or CRE. Picao said there is no reason to believe the levels have changed because raw sewage continues to flow into many waterways. She said the next step is to test the impact these bacteria can have when humans come in contact with them in coastal waters.

The news comes as Rio prepares to host hundreds of thousands of athletes and tourists during next month's Summer Olympics. Among the beaches flagged were Flamengo and Botafogo, which border the bay where Olympic sailors are scheduled to compete. "It's a nice sailing area but every time you get some water in your face, it feels like there's some alien enemy entering your face," German Paralympic sailor Heiko Kroger said during a recent visit to Rio. "I keep my nose and my lips closed."

Kroger believes the super bacteria may have caused a severe skin infection in one of his teammates during recent training.
    (Source)

So perhaps the pale horses rides? Well avoiding the fun? religious imagery of doom, there appears to be more highly resistant bacteria cropping up, this time at the Rio Olympics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

If he keeps his nose and lips closed how does he breathe?

10+ Year Old Account
    Good lord just fucking cancel it. They're risking an epidemic. I know they don't give a shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why you would host an Olympics in a city that can't even provide for the majority of it's citizens is beyond me. Oh yeah, because the small percentage that are filthy rich there want to get even richer.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    What, even the bacteria are juicing for the Olympics now? Jeez.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    What, even the bacteria are juicing for the Olympics now? Jeez.
    The bacteria should be banned by the IOC from being at the Olympic games this year due to using performance enhancing subtances.

They knew about this over a year ago when a bunch of swimmers got sick in the water. There is a reason many of the rowers and other open water athletes are dropping out.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."