Page 1 of 2
LastLast

need mid range phone, which is better?

long story short: gf needs new, mid range phone, all listed below cost the same here, wondering what to buy tomorrow.
    SAMSUNG A500 A5 LTE
    LG G3
    HUAWEI P9 LITE
    LG NEXUS 5X (H791)
    SAMSUNG G903F GALAXY S5 NEO
    nothing fancy as you can see, but it'd be nice to buy the better one out of the bunch of mediocre ones.

5x 10 characters.
    Be feared, or be fuel

any more detailed inputs? :P

S5 mini. Good phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

To be honest I have never heard most of those models. How about just getting her an older high end model? You probably won't find many people here that have had more than one or two of these phones, so looking up online tests is probably your best bet. I think a colleague has the A5 and seems to be happy with it, but I personally think it's already too large (and I'm a guy with big hands that hates holding a brick to his ear) and the performance is also nothing to call home about, even in that price range.

I still use a "dumb phone".

A Kyocera XV to be specific.

Because I like my phones to not break or get waterlogged under the most simple circumstances. I think it ran me about $200 when they first came out, what I would consider mid-range. I know its not fancy, but I know it will outlast whatever glass cannon smart phone that just came out by a country mile.

It is pretty big for an old style flip phone, but kind of needed as its built like a tank.

Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-07-04 at 03:57 PM.

OnePlus 3 is amazing

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know any of the other phones, but I have an LG G3. I rooted it and it's a great phone. Big screen too.

I don't know your models, but I recommend the Honor series. It's from Huawei and just sold under a different name. It's just like >100 € or something cheaper than their Huawei series equivalents.

Quote Originally Posted by lRemedyl View Post
    OnePlus 3 is amazing
    Agreed.

My "Rule of thumb" in regards to buying mid-range phones is this:

1)If your carrier is having a sale on last years top of the line phones (i.e Samsung galaxy s6 line was last years phone or the iPhone 6s) then by all means go for one of those first. Prior year's flagship models are just that; flagships, do that first and foremost.

2)If though you can't find those...or they are out of your price range, the king of mid-range LG will not doubt be what i'd recommend. Even their own top of the lines phones have a mid-range price tag and they are top notch for what you are buying into.

3)Do not ever, ever EVER! take a free smartphone with a 2 year contract they are garbage phones and you have been cursed with a brick out the gate. At that point i'd advise just re-assessing your needs. Must you have internet? Does the phone need a touch screen?

4)If not...buy a "dumb phone." They will most likely just give one to you for free (in this case it's mostly alright). Your monthly fees are low, and you get base functions (calls,text,pictures at most)
    If you are progressing through content just to obtain gear, you are doing it wrong. You, in fact, are doing it exactly backwards.
    You are the leader of the Black Harvest, go harvest some squirrels and crack some more nuts. Sir.

Have used the P9lite but international version which has a Kirin processor instead of the usual Qualcomm. Was a great phone for the price. The LG G3 may be older but is easily fast enough especially with the latest Marshmallow update and it has a higher res screen, better camera and more internal memory if you opt for the 32 gig.

As of late you are often better off picking up previous gen flagship than a newer midrange device.

Deleted
    Hauwei's are good phones for the money.

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

P9 Lite
    Very good battery life, no heat problems, cheaper than the Nexus 5X, possible to use a Micro-SD to expand memory and 3GB of ram is more futureproof than the 2GB of the N5X. Downside is the OEM rom that is worse than being supported directly by Google.

Nexus 5x is all plastic, has battery issues, you can't expand the memory and can overheat while gaming giving warnings to stop playing.
    The only good things about N5X are the camera that is better than the p9 lite one and the fact that it is a Nexus so you get the latest android version asap.

https://www.androidpit.com/huawei-p9-lite-review

Honor 5x / Meizu M3 Note.

Deleted
    im loving my nexus 5x, only had it a few months but finding it so much better than the galaxy i had before

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dark Knight View Post
    5x
    I was going to get that, but the next model will probably be released in September. I think I'm going to wait. Though there is currently a $150 savings if you sign up for 1 month of Project Fi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh, my phone was $30, I think, and it went for free along with a $35/m plan. I guess that is not what you are looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Heh, my phone was $30, I think, and it went for free along with a $35/m plan. I guess that is not what you are looking for.
    he might be doing pay monthly, he didnt really state the costs, just a mid range.

i got the nexus 5x, no upfront cost, £22/m

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I still use a "dumb phone".

A Kyocera XV to be specific.

Because I like my phones to not break or get waterlogged under the most simple circumstances. I think it ran me about $200 when they first came out, what I would consider mid-range. I know its not fancy, but I know it will outlast whatever glass cannon smart phone that just came out by a country mile.

It is pretty big for an old style flip phone, but kind of needed as its built like a tank.
    Please, I've had my Iphone 4 since 2010.

I've tossed it, punched it. The damn thing won't break.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2016-07-05 at 01:33 AM.