Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Account Restrictions for Toxic Players?

Would you be in favor of Blizzard implementing a system that would put some sort of restrictions on accounts that are found to be posting toxic shit either on their official forums or in the game itself?

What I mean by this is not straight up bans from playing the game, but if a person is caught spamming trade, trolling trade, spamming negativity about the game all over the official forums, maybe have posting rights taken on the forums, or if it is in game toxicity then maybe remove access to the AH for a couple days, or restrict the account from entering raid instances for a week, or something similar?

The point is, if players know they can and would have account restrictions as punishment for acting toxic in game and on the official forums, it would reduce the amount of toxicity seen in the game, in the queue system, etc. Obviously the current ban system that blizzard has would continue to be the same (for like botting and racist and other stuff ban worthy), but for just being plain negative and toxic, would account restrictions help curb that?

I'm genuinely curious as to how you guys think on the matter.

You can Ignore or Block toxic players already and boot them from your group (or leave the group yourself)...

Deleted
    Yes and ban them for life from MMOC too. See what you got there? Sure you glad now such system doesnt exit Jay

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I'm genuinely curious as to how you guys think on the matter.
    Shouldn't you be supporting freedom of speech? Chat should never lead to consequences, you have the ignore feature for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Shouldn't you be supporting freedom of speech? Chat should never lead to consequences, you have the ignore feature for a reason.
    And why should it always be down to those on the receiving end to deal with the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    Nostalgia to vanilla increased by +4

With crowded but isolated servers your reputation actually mattered, and being an ass could come back to bite you for a long time.

That having said, I don't think Blizzard ever would or even should draw parallels between players ingame and their behaviour outside of the game.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Wish such existed in MMO-C, so we could get rid of you, Jaylock.

I prefer to just throw trash out instead of just scattering it on the floor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Posting for posterity in another relatively pointless Jaylock thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone posting "oh lol so would Jay be gone then" or "lol Jaylock" took the bait, that I'm not even sure was set in the first place. Not EVERY Jaylock thread is clickbait.

In all seriousness, how do you define toxic behavior? Is it saying, as I did in raid chat yesterday, "GRAGGA DROPS FREE MYTHIC LOOT", hoping to get someone gullible to pull Gragga, and doing nothing else obnoxious the whole night? Or do you set the bar higher, and define toxic as dragging the fel orcs before Gorefiend over the raid in LFR to drop the gas clouds at everyone's feet, or a geared DK pulling Iskar and all the trash at the same time then living forever and wasting 20 ish other people's time? Or the infamous 3-4 guildy 5 man random kick team?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    And why should it always be down to those on the receiving end to deal with the problem.
    Because the rest doesn't care, if you want a certain behaviour then find likeminded people and create your own little group but don't try to force others to cater to your whims.

On topic how about save space feature? Players can select save space mode where they will only be grouped with likeminded people in all activities and all non-save space users messages are blocked. Additionally anyone reported get's kicked from the save space forever.

Get X amount of reports for spamming Trade etc, get a month ban from that channel, increasing in duration with each consecutive ban. After 3 strikes, account bans start happening.

i want to /ignore Jaylock threads...

no, just kidding oh, wait...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrCool View Post
    Nostalgia to vanilla increased by +4

With crowded but isolated servers your reputation actually mattered, and being an ass could come back to bite you for a long time.

That having said, I don't think Blizzard ever would or even should draw parallels between players ingame and their behaviour outside of the game.
    well said.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    Posting for posterity in another relatively pointless Jaylock thread.
    can we define pointless-ness as toxic behaviour ?

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Often because those people are being offended at imaginary sleights and "problems."

Deleted
    Do what they do in DoTA, just remove their chat capacity if they are found guilty of being toxic. For a metric of time, depending on repeat of offense rate and how much the offense rate is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Often because those people are being offended at imaginary sleights and "problems."
    And that is why reports are reviewed and compared to a guideline.

You may not like it, but acting like an ass, is usually frowned upon.

7+ Year Old Account
    Freedom of speech, dude. They have the right to say what they'd like just as much as you have the right to /ignore. No need to ban them when you can just ignore or disregard them completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Zandro View Post
    Freedom of speech, dude. They have the right to say what they'd like just as much as you have the right to /ignore. No need to ban them when you can just ignore or disregard them completely.
    No they don't. This is a private forum, and the game is private property too. It's not censorship to stop certain speech on private property, where your mere presence there is a privilege to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zandro View Post
    Freedom of speech is not remotely relevant here.

The Goverment cannot put you in jail for what you say.

It says NOTHING about guidelines of what you can and cannot say, in a Video game, where you agree upon the Terms of use, based on what Blizzard says.

This is why I swapped from Overwatch on PC to Overwatch on console, the amount of crap being spewed in the chat really took away from the enjoyment of the game. Sadly there is no such option with WoW

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Do what they do in DoTA, just remove their chat capacity if they are found guilty of being toxic. For a metric of time, depending on repeat of offense rate and how much the offense rate is.

- - - Updated - - -

And that is why reports are reviewed and compared to a guideline.

You may not like it, but acting like an ass, is usually frowned upon.
    Well sure. I'm fine with that. If its occurring often enough and GMs find it to be "toxic" (totally overused) then sure. But can you imagine punishments being doled out every time someone is "offended" ... then it goes from that to every time someone is "annoyed.