Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    not "changing to a race/gender I dont approve of". changing in any fundamental way at all
    You must have a hell of a lot of patience considering how much has changed in the 70 plus year history of comics.

Original Iron Man or bust!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Lastly, as someone pointed out earlier, Bendis, the guy writing this, originally made Nick Fury a black dude in 2001. There wasn't an uproar then about that race change....because it happened in 2001. And in that case, that was an actual dude, not an identity or mantle, so to speak. Are we to believe that somehow, 15 years later, the same writer making a change to another character is suddenly pandering? Or is it just a case of the toxic social media echo chamber that lets anonymous, idiotic complaints gain traction merely by being repeated loudly?
    Man, imagine if that happened now.

Though I bet there were some old geocities forums full of incensed fans back then :P

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Its kinda like if Deadpool took over the Xavier school it'd still be the X-men. A screwed up to no end pile of manure but still be the X-Men.
    He'd obviously rename them the D-Men, and call himself Professor D.

P.S. I would read the hell out of that.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2016-07-08 at 03:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

How lazy is this? The industry so out of ideas they can't create a new superhero? Lol.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    How lazy is this? The industry so out of ideas they can't create a new superhero? Lol.
    how lazy are you? you cant look for 5 seconds to see that this is a new superhero? lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the people saying that this is pandering to SJW's, you don't think it's a bit odd that 95% of superheroes, and villains, are males? I think it's nice to have a realistic representation of people. Also, I prefer this way when the previous character hands over the mantle as opposed to the character being retconned.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Ok let's turn Black Panther into a white man and see how that goes. Let's make Miss Marvel into a man and see how that goes. Both of those were mantles. Most, if not all, of these is turning a white man into something else. Sorry, these comics are made in the US where white has the highest population.
    that changes the fundamentals of the character - the iron man suit is just that a suit, a high tech one but still a suit. Tony stark is still around he hasnt' been gender swapped, this is another capt is all "hail hydra" which the next very issue shown it was cosmic cube sillyness, which every comic book reader saw some kind of timetravel/alt world shenanigans going on while, just like now; none comic book readers are all "and" about yet another person putting the iron man suit/title (hint this isn't the first time tony stark wasn't in the suit)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    not "changing to a race/gender I dont approve of". changing in any fundamental way at all

Time for bed. I've had my fill of far-left loony nonsense for the evening.
    Tony Stark hasn't changed, other then getting put in his place after civil war 2 events (it would seem)

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Ok let's turn Black Panther into a white man and see how that goes. Let's make Miss Marvel into a man and see how that goes. Both of those were mantles. Most, if not all, of these is turning a white man into something else. Sorry, these comics are made in the US where white has the highest population.
    Trust me, that won't happen. The SJW's would go crazy, because oppression, and other pathetic reasons. And Marvel would revert the changes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Trust me, that won't happen. The SJW's would go crazy, because oppression, and other pathetic reasons. And Marvel would revert the changes.
    the only people who go crazy are the anti sjw's.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    the only people who go crazy are the anti sjw's.
    Sure.. that's why artists get death threats when art is to white, or has a female being held in a chokehold and such. Because SJW's are the most social people right?

7+ Year Old Account
    Sure.. that's why artists get death threats when art is to white, or has a female being held in a chokehold and such. Because SJW's are the most social people right?
    have you read none of this thread? its a bunch of people who don't read comics but don't like sjw's freaking out about a change that doesn't matter and isn't any thing new.

7+ Year Old Account
    It fits...

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    have you read none of this thread? its a bunch of people who don't read comics but don't like sjw's freaking out about a change that doesn't matter and isn't any thing new.
    The problem is, people logically assume this has to do thanks to the SJW movement. Something Marvel has even admitted to several times! When a comic changes due to some teen pressure because they can't handle the fact that the world is unfair, something is wrong.

If they did it because it made sense storywise, no issue. But due to pressure out of some unrealistic kids views? That's a bit wonky.

Not true at all. If one thing is constant in the world of comics, it's change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    It has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with marketability. You're far more likely to be successful if you re-package an existing superhero that comes with significant name recognition than compete with a new hero in the "superhero marketplace."

Quote Originally Posted by Kyux View Post
    For the people saying that this is pandering to SJW's, you don't think it's a bit odd that 95% of superheroes, and villains, are males? I think it's nice to have a realistic representation of people. Also, I prefer this way when the previous character hands over the mantle as opposed to the character being retconned.
    Combine this with the above observation and we see why many superheroes are being reimagined with more diversity. Little or nothing to do with pandering to SJWs, but more to do with financial success and marketability.

Black Panther is specifically a hero based around him being an African King, and more importantly, what it means to be African. Guess what - if Nick Fury went back to being white, or War Machine's suit of armor was donned by a white dude now that Rhodes is dead, no one would give a shit. If Khamala Khan gave up the mantle of Ms. Marvel back to Carol Danvers, a white woman, no one would give a shit. If Peter Parker came back from the dead and became Spider-Man again, and Miles Morales retired out of respect to his idol, hopefully some people would give a shit because that's shitty writing, but no one would give a shit that SM was white again.

And when Tony Stark dons the suit again and this girl goes to being her own superhero, no one will give a shit that IM is white again. That this story arc is set up to *exactly* parallel Rhodes story from 83-85 in the mainline Iron Man is kind of hilarious, since no one gave a shit then.

You say that like there isn't a problem with SJWs receiving death and rape threats from anti-SJWs and the alt-right.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is, people logically assume this has to do thanks to the SJW movement. Something Marvel has even admitted to several times! When a comic changes due to some teen pressure because they can't handle the fact that the world is unfair, something is wrong.

If they did it because it made sense storywise, no issue. But due to pressure out of some unrealistic kids views? That's a bit wonky.
    So it doesn't make sense that after his second Civil War against friends Tony might feel a bit burned out and want to step back from superheroics for a while? It doesn't make sense that a teenage genius (of which the Marvel universes have tonnes because geek power fantasy) might follow in Tony's footsteps and copy his armour? It doesn't make sense that Tony might mentor this teen? Why does none of that make sense, it all seems like typical superhero stuff?

We are being racially diverse everywhere in society except the liberal elite. The Hamptons and Beverly Hills are almost totally white. And the media doesn't cover that. This is about trying to claim that middle class America is racist.

Here, for example is a photo of the staff of the liberal elite publication the Huffington Post. How many nonwhites you see here?

See, if you point how how the liberal elite are racist, that will piss someone off. That is not allowed.

yeah lets take an iconic male suave character and make him a woman in her teens lmao what

inb4 they make James Bond black or female too xD

It's just pandering.

and it worked.. it made you make a thread about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Here, for example is a photo of the staff of the liberal elite publication the Huffington Post. How many nonwhites you see here?

Why is it that when I google search that image I get like 10 million people tweeting and blogging the exact same thing you said?

Is it hard to have an original opinion or do you actively work at being a sheep?

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    We are being racially diverse everywhere in society except the liberal elite. The Hamptons and Beverly Hills are almost totally white. And the media doesn't cover that. This is about trying to claim that middle class America is racist.

<snip>

See, if you point how how the liberal elite are racist, that will piss someone off. That is not allowed.
    So your argument is Marvel can't create a character who is a black teenage girl because an online newspaper has an all-white editorial staff? I was going to mock your logic but then I saw you got the picture from Return of Kings and ignored the fact that Huffington Post has owned up to their lack of racial diversity which was part of the reason they supported their staff unionising, so now I just feel a bit sad for you.

I'm willing to bet that a lot if the people who called out HuffPo for the lack of non-whites in the photo (presumably deciding Asians were white for these purposes) would also cry about reverse-racism if they actively tried ton recruit people of colour for the editorial staff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RippedLife View Post
    yeah lets take an iconic male suave character and make him a woman in her teens lmao what

inb4 they make James Bond black or female too xD
    They are not changing Tony Stark, he will remain white and male for the foreseeable future. They might change James Bond at some point but I'm guessing it will be gender or race, not both, to limit the outrage from the easily offended.