Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Mei needs fixing

Im pretty sick and tired of not being able to play my hero because i dont have something like Wraith Form to stop the almost instant freeze, 1.5 seconds is way to fast, and guess what, get frozen? say goodnight, cause right click headshot and you die with most heroes.

Yea its a bit of a rage thread, but in all honesty, isnt the 1.5s pretty dumb, especially on a control map where u need to be in the point. Her and bastion are the only ones who piss me off in this game, and I know im gonna get oh, for bastion go genji, or a sniper, well any bastion who's not an idiot will let go of left click for 1 second so the deflection ends, and if positioned right, you cant snipe him. 500 DPS is too much for anyone
    Last edited by Xkiller9000; 2016-07-02 at 08:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a hard time countering Mei. Just stay out of her range or play a different hero.

That can be said about every other character you get frustrated playing against. You don't have to stick to the same hero the entirety of a match y'know.

10+ Year Old Account
    As annoying as she is, believe it or not she's not used very much. You just have to treat her like Reaper and stay away from her.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Deleted
    Mei is just like Genji, a horrible counter to "some". Very easy to kill for others. Played well on defense she is a beast though.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shes mainly for isolating and picking people off one by one. It's actually pretty hard to freeze people as Mei if you run around in a mid sized group, unless she's good and places a good wall to focus in on one stray person.

Most of the flankers if played right aren't going to get frozen. Tracer can blink/recall, Reaper can wraith form and Genji can dash away before it happens.

I get it, I hate her too. Nobody likes getting frozen while watching this chubby little thing waddle up to you smiling and slowly pointing a gun directly at your head to kill you. People don't like being CCd. Most of the rage I witness from my friends is being killed by Mei (by being stunned) or being flash banged by McCree and right clicked to death. Mind you I don't hear the McCree stuff anymore lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Xkiller9000 View Post
    Im pretty sick and tired of not being able to play my hero because i dont have something like Wraith Form to stop the almost instant freeze, 1.5 seconds is way to fast, and guess what, get frozen? say goodnight, cause right click headshot and you die with most heroes.
    Mei sprays a frost stream that does 45 damage per second, consuming 20 ammo each second. The stream also slows enemies, and if held on an enemy for 2 seconds, will freeze them in place for 1.5 seconds.

Alternate Fire launches an icicle that does 75 damage at maximum, but is subject to damage falloff. This consumes 25 ammo and fires at 1.8 shots per second. This can deal headshots.
    Headshot Multiplier is %200 of the used abilities damage. Making Mei's right click when frozen only 150 damage? Adding 45 Damage + 2 (Once per second) is 240 Damage.

Most people will use the frost stream for a extra tick to get that extra 45 damage before "executing".

Reaper has 250 HP.

1.5 seconds is plenty of time to avoid getting frozen into place. If you are unable to react with a button press in that time window, I don't know what to say.

I play Mei fairly often, and plenty of Reapers have escaped from me with Wraith's phase-thingy. McCree can roll out of it (Although is a short change range.)

Pharah, Widow, Tracert, Winston can jump really far away.

I don't think Mei is an issue. She isn't a Tank, Group Support, Damage Dealer, or a Healer. She fills a very specific niche role; Crowd Control.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

7+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you, but I don't think there's anything that can be done to make her less infuriating, short of just removing her from the game. Her mechanics are broken by design.

Deleted
    What heroes do you play? It may sound condescending but there's a skill floor to reliably kill Mei with most heroes and it's being able to aim and headshot enough to kill her before the freeze window, which does come for most people eventually. At higher levels of play a Mei who left clicks without getting the jump on someone that's not support will usually be forced to ice block or wall before they can finish a freeze, interrupting themselves. Her right click with precision is really her strongest offensive aspect beyond that point.

I think she's cool.

She can be annoying in the right hands, but not as dangerous as most other heroes. The simplest way to counter her is to group up, even if she freezes several people, she can only kill one or two before the others break free and kill her.

Keep in mind she's usually played on defense and she has to stay at pretty much melee range, which means she'll often be alone and out of sight of her allies. She's a slower Tracer or a squishier Winston.

Deleted
    In Overwatch you aren't supposed to play "your hero".
    You just admitted that you are having trouble because you don't counterpick.

Even if you don't counterpick you merely have to attack her with one teammate, she can't freeze and kill two at the same time.

Deleted
    Even if you don't counterpick you merely have to attack her with one teammate, she can't freeze and kill two at the same time.

who would've guessed that 2 heroes can beat 1. If that wasn't the case, that hero would need some serious balance-fixing.

The effects that totally prevent you from acting (Such as Mei's freezing left click and ult and McCree's stun) are completely antithetical to the spirit of a competitive FPS imo. McCree's less so, since the range of his stun is so short, but even then its obnoxious.

Yes, before a tryhard immediately speaks up, you can avoid both McCree and Mei's incapacitating abilities, but in the same way I personally feel like having to hyper focus to avoid stealthed heroes in HotS, you shouldn't have to suddenly be expected to play far more strategically because of one or two heroes due to that giving them far more power by just design alone.

Mei has too much health, moves too fast when she's freezing, and can completely freeze you far too quickly. At least one of those things needs to be nerfed. I honestly feel like taking her down to 200 health would balance her far better.

Anyhow, my convoluted point is this: In a competitive FPS where your skill is supposed to dictate your success, having a few abilities that are SO INCREDIBLY POWERFUL as completely removing all movement and action are just ridiculous. And no, its not JUST rage from being killed by her, its from just watching other people I know (and some I don't) trying to deal with her OR play AS her. Mei specifically is just a bit too good imo. At least for how insanely powerful her incapacitating effects are.

I can move erratically to mess up Widowmaker, I can prevent Reaper from getting too close and shooting me in the face for 70% of my health, and even for bastion (Who I despise), I can at least try to get around him. But seeing dumbass Mei bumbling up toward you with her stupid grin and her too much health just waggling her mouse back and forth and completely incapacitating you and giving her just enough time to headshot you is just really stupid.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2016-07-02 at 09:00 AM.

Deleted
    As a soldier "main" my biggest problem with Mei is that I can't kill her before she freezes me because of her large HP pool, even with the help of my Helix Rockets.
    And it's basically impossible to kill her at range.

Not sure how I'm supposed to engage her other than avoiding her. Genji's are annoying as fuck for me too, but even though they have the upper hand thanks to their doublejumps and additional mobility, I can at least hope to get a lucky shot or two and kill them.
    Removing her LMB slow effect would already help alot tbh. (Or at least make it so that sprints allowes you to be equally fast as Mei and not slower)
    On the other side, she shouldn't become useless... I don't know how to fix her without removing her from the game.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-07-02 at 09:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    she can be fun, but incredibly annoying in the hands of a skilled player.
    Hi

A good Mei will be annoying, but she's not an OP hero at all. People just don't like getting stunned. I'll be disappointed if she gets nerfed because of a bunch of people whining about CC. She already never gets medals over other defensive choices if she's actually taking the time to use that CC people hate so much.

Deleted
    She's fine, also team mates should help out and watch when she starts freezing someone and help get rid of her.

Because Relevant to the thread~

I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

I won't lie, a large part of what makes Zarya so great to me, as someone who plays a ton of Zarya, is how my barriers cancel out Mei's shit. And how I can project barriers onto my team mates just to fuck up Mei.

She can be pretty annoying to deal with on some classes. Reaper or Tracer is great against the average Mei (though watch out for those icicle headshots from decent Meis as Tracer), but I have no idea what to do against her as soldier. Healing station doesn't help, can't sprint away from the freeze if you run into her around a corner, etc.

She's frustrating to play against but is honestly not very strong over all.

Don't think she needs a nerf tbh because overall she is just a troll character.

WIth the exception of her Ultimate I just don't see her killing allot of players, best thing she can do is build a wall to keep those illegals out.