Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    No, he's wrong. American fundamentalists take a purely literal approach to everything in the Bible except the things which are themselves obviously metaphors, like when Jesus is telling a parable. That means in their view the Earth was created in six days, God rested on the seventh, and they use Bishop Ussher's calculation of the Earth's age based on extrapolation of Old Testament lineages. He may be right that other people believe what he said, but it's not to the exclusion of the YEC people and he's wrong to suggest that is the case.
    They take everything literally except the parts where Jesus tells us to be better people to everyone regardless of who they are, in which 'translations of literal text' are allowed based on how different someone is to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    18m tax break for this shit? uh fucking bible belt nonsense.
    To the states credit they tried not to give it to them but lost a court battle for it (due poor wording in the state constitution or something). Which in its way progress I supposse

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Catholics do not equal Christians....but ok.
    There really is not much a difference in the end.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Just to put it out there, not everyone who subscribes to the Christian religious beliefs believes all of this nonsense about the world that says it's only 6000 years old and whatnot. There are a lot of things out there, that we don't have answers for, and maybe never will. Not all of us believe that just because science can't explain it (because there's is literally no evidence to support on side or the other) that it's supernatural in origin (that God did it).

Also, there was a book written a few years ago (I can't for the life of me remember the name, but it had the word Genesis in it and was written by a scientist who is also Christian..Henry Morris I think the name was) and it goes through the creation story and basically says that because of translation from the original Hebrew, the word day isn't accurate. The term used in the original translation was more akin to the English term eon or age, a beginning and an end...doesn't specify a length of time.

Not saying what he writes about should be taken as the 100% truth, just wanted to illustrate that not all Christians are mindless zealots who cling to outdated and scientifically implausible or downright impossible ideas.
    That would be very unspecified amount of time. But suppose going by the "forever" and "eternity" definitions for it, how did god take 7 eternities or 7 forevers to make earth? Doesn't even make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    They take everything literally except the parts where Jesus tells us to be better people to everyone regardless of who they are, in which 'translations of literal text' are allowed based on how different someone is to you.
    And those who do that, are honestly mocking their own faith far more than someone else could.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2016-07-07 at 07:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Christian coin phrase is loosely defined as any religion that see's Jesus as its savior to reduce friction between various sects when it came to politics

0.o
    Christian, you keep using that word... I don't think you know what it means.

Catholics, Lutherans, Anglicans, Baptists, Fundamentalist Christianity, Pietism, Evangelicalism, Pentecostalism and the Holiness movement are all Christians. These are all sub divisions of Christians, and there are more than just these. Some of these are offshoots of Catholics. They are all Christians. You may not consider then christians but your opinion is not a fact.

Nobody who belongs to Christian religious affiliation is just a christian, they are a member of a community which has its own way of believing in christ. Some allow divorce, some allow priests to marry, some take communion with wine, some don't take communion but all are christians.

Christianity is the belief that Jesus sacrificed himself to give every human on earth who is faithful and baptized the potential to enter the kingdom of heaven, even horrible sinners so long as they confess their sins before the lord. Thus, Catholics are Christians to the very core. More so if you count in Catholic Guilt (tm).
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2016-07-07 at 08:07 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Not saying what he writes about should be taken as the 100% truth, just wanted to illustrate that not all Christians are mindless zealots who cling to outdated and scientifically implausible or downright impossible ideas.
    While I do think most people would agree that many (or most) christians aren't mindless zealots I also think that using Henry Morris as an example is counterproductive to your argument.

and that would be 100% wrong.

The Bible defines what it means to be a Christian, not denominational doctrine.

- - - Updated - - -

See above. This is false.
    You are wrong, do some studying. Catholics are Christians. Anyone telling you otherwise is re-writing history and you wouldn't be spilling this filth if you were a Catholic, in which case you would be calling a Baptist not a Christian, you know, because you are incapable of looking beyond your own existence. Naturally -your- version of christianity is the only real version of christianity because you belong to it and you couldn't possibly be wrong, nice when your religious decisions are based around your own existence.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2016-07-07 at 08:12 PM.

I would be impressed if it was an actual functioning boat.

Most of todays Christian groups are offshoots of the catholic order because they didn't like some rule the catholic church enacted.

I mean if you want to take certain parts of the bible and then translate them to state what you want it to say to fit your world view then feel free but doing so just means any part of it can be translated to make it what I want it to mean and that weakens the overall strength of the faith, if anyone can translate it to what they want it to mean.

The Bible also says I must kill anyone who works on sunday. Not 'should' kill, but 'must' kill. Yes, that is old testament, but a part of Christianity is that the book is composed of old and new testament, not just the new testament or else we wouldn't teach that part in our churches.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2016-07-07 at 08:18 PM.

So wait.... "Expected to bring in 1.4 million people," "Expected to make 4 billion." So, how exactly is each person visiting the Ark spending $2857.14??? That figure also assumes that every child is also contributing that much...

A Christian is to be "christ-like", hence the term. To be christ-like, you need to follow his teachings and instructions once you repent and are baptized. That knocks out about 75% (rough estimate) of "christian" religions. Not that any of you probably know the Bible, but here you go:

Ephesians 4:5- One Lord, one faith, one baptism.

There are not multiple sects of Christians. You are either a part of the Lord's church (a christian) or you aren't. Again I don't expect you to understand this but that is about as simple as it gets. Yet we have Calvinists, Catholics, Baptists etc. claiming they are Christians when they do not follow his teachings or implicit instruction on salvation, worship, how to live, and various other concepts that are clearly stated.
    You are using your sects dogma to change what is common held understanding

10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever could have been logically talked about here, has been derailed into religious discussion, which we dont allow. I dont see a warning correcting that either.

Closing