Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I cant see anything wrong with white people destroying the buisness model of africans. /s

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadil View Post
    Because it comes with a manufacturers cert and the production process can be demonstrated? It could have a microchip like the ones used to identify dogs placed inside during manufacture to give a way to identify it, sure this means the buyer could scan it too but it's just an example, I'm sure they could use another method of identification.
    It is a big issue. It's very hard to fake anything. And if you success in making a perfect - identical - fake, then it no longer is a fake.

Once the poachers have it who cares? At that point the risk to them is the same if it's real or not.
    I find the whole plan a bit fucked up. "Here, let's give these criminals (who we are pretty much fighting against in the first place) free shit that they can sell to other criminals for 60k/kg"

It's lunacy and morally very questionable. "What could go wrong?"
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I find the whole plan a bit fucked up. "Here, let's give these criminals (who we are pretty much fighting against in the first place) free shit that they can sell to other criminals for 60k/kg"

It's lunacy and morally very questionable. "What could go wrong?"
    Except that it removes the need for them to kill rhinos in the first place. Sure it's not the ideal solution but if it lets one criminal fool another criminal into paying 60k/kg then fine by me, aren't they both criminals anyhow. Rhino gets left alone, which is the whole point here.
    Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.

15+ Year Old Account
    Except that it removes the need for them to kill rhinos in the first place. Sure it's not the ideal solution but if it lets one criminal fool another criminal into paying 60k/kg then fine by me, aren't they both criminals anyhow. Rhino gets left alone, which is the whole point here.
    The whole thing is shady at best. The company just wants to make money (I bet they aren't doing those fake horns for free and giving them out free for poachers)
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole thing is shady at best. The company just wants to make money (I bet they aren't doing those fake horns for free and giving them out free for poachers)
    Sure, I'm fine with them making a profit while saving rhino. I bet they don't charge 60k/kg though. They profit, poacher profits, rhino profits, not the best solution but hey.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure, I'm fine with them making a profit while saving rhino. I bet they don't charge 60k/kg though. They profit, poacher profits, rhino profits, not the best solution but hey.
    So, wouldn't the thread and the video be more suited to be called "Money laundering to save rhinoceros in Africa"?

So, wouldn't the thread and the video be more suited to be called "Money laundering to save rhinoceros in Africa"?
    As long as rhinos are being saved, that's really all that matters.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    As long as rhinos are being saved, that's really all that matters.
    Ends don't always justify the means.

Rhinos need to be saved, I just don't think this is the right, best, or even a good, method of doing it.

Deleted
    Yeah. And suddenly we have 10 million would-be poachers saying "give me free stuff or I'll go hunting rhinos".

It's about as smart as paying criminals for not committing crimes.

If anything, we should sell the fake horns directly to the buyers and saturate the market, putting the poachers out of business. That way we could also learn the buyer network and eventually eliminate it.
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2016-07-07 at 11:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Yeah. And suddenly we have 10 million would-be poachers saying "give me free stuff or I'll go hunting rhinos".
    So give them free stuff. It won't cost all that much to produce and a company can gain immense public image by funding the cessation of rhino hunting. I don't exactly see the problem.

Ends don't always justify the means.

Rhinos need to be saved, I just don't think this is the right, best, or even a good, method of doing it.
    Feels like you're just arguing for the sake of argument now. First it was stupid and wouldn't work because it's not real. Then it became impossible to tell if it grew on a rhino or not. Then it became a bad idea because it would be illegal to own and produce it. Then it became morally questionable because it's dealing with criminals despite possibly stopping them killing an endangered species. Then it's shady because a company wants to make money (lol). Then it's money laundering.

Either you just don't want to see any good in this or you're just arguing for the sake of it. Hard to tell at this point.

If you have a better solution I'd like to hear it rather than you trying to shoot holes in a possible solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    I knew exactly who created this thread before I even clicked on it. Welcome to the new Tennisace.
    Errr...what? I always post scientific/hypothetical subjects. I've always done this...

- - - Updated - - -

So give them free stuff. It won't cost all that much to produce and a company can gain immense public image by funding the cessation of rhino hunting. I don't exactly see the problem.

Feels like you're just arguing for the sake of argument now. First it was stupid and wouldn't work because it's not real. Then it became impossible to tell if it grew on a rhino or not. Then it became a bad idea because it would be illegal to own and produce it. Then it became morally questionable because it's dealing with criminals despite possibly stopping them killing an endangered species. Then it's shady because a company wants to make money (lol). Then it's money laundering.

Either you just don't want to see any good in this or you're just arguing for the sake of it. Hard to tell at this point.

If you have a better solution I'd like to hear it rather than you trying to shoot holes in a possible solution.
    Puupi is known for baiting people

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Puupi is known for baiting people
    Yeah, every time I replied a voice in my head said "don't feed the trolls"

15+ Year Old Account
    Now you are getting the hang of it - the whole idea of 3D printing rhino horns to save rhinos from poaching is a mess on so many different levels with gazillions of technical, legal and moral loopholes in it.

It's reality that they can make great rhino horn copies, but it's utopistic to think that the "saving of rhinos" would become reality with this plan.

Dunno about better, but expensive and definitely more realistic solutions - like harsher penalties for criminals and more safeguarding of the rhinos. Even the poisoning of the horns Gabriel suggested is a better option (for the rhinos) than this ambiguous financial scheme.

It's like printing more dollars to save the economy.
    Last edited by Puupi; 2016-07-08 at 12:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no way to cure stupidity in vietnam, and buying a horn that is worthless for mucho grande is the epitome of stupidity.

They'll just move on to the next stupid like rhino skin.

Exciting!

However i do not think it will save the Rhinos, possibly decrease the poaching rate. Hopefully i am wrong