Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking for a video card!

Hello guys, it's me again. You guys helped me build and my bro build a badass computer for him a year ago!

I just wanted to add a video card to my basic set up to stop the crashes and possibly get better graphics for legion!

This is the stock computer i own.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227457

I think about 200 dollars give or take 50 bucks is a decent budget for me.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/TDttgL

I chose the RAM and the Power Supply myself already and was hoping to get some tips!

I have a 720p monitor but I will buy that pretty soon just not now!

Any and all your help is appreciated! Thanks!
    Last edited by fabific; 2016-07-09 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Updates

Let me clarify, are you upgrading your stock PC, or are you building a new one with existing parts?

I'm upgrading the stock pc in the newegg link. I myself chose the RAM and the Power supply shown in the part picker list. I'm open for a better fit if the pieces i selected aren't the best!

Quote Originally Posted by fabific View Post
    I'm upgrading the stock pc in the newegg link. I myself chose the RAM and the Power supply shown in the part picker list. I'm open for a better fit if the pieces i selected aren't the best!
    Ok, thanks. Is the $200-250 budget for videocard only or for RAM+PSU+GPU?

The GTX1060 is around 250 bucks, it has the performance of a GTX980 with less power consumption. Compared to the new AMD 480x it is 25% faster and has 75% less power consumption. Best deal if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzony View Post
    The GTX1060 is around 250 bucks, it has the performance of a GTX980 with less power consumption. Compared to the new AMD 480x it is 25% faster and has 75% less power consumption. Best deal if you ask me.
    You wont be able to get a non-reference version before September.

200 was for the GPU only, since i think i found a good RAM kit and PSU. What's a good card i can order right now?

7+ Year Old Account
    The fact you're spewing this before any official benchmarks says a lot about you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard: ASRock H61M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($48.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $283.96
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-08 01:07 EDT-0400

You can probably get a custom RX 480 for your budget in a month, but right now GTX 960 is your best bet.

Awesome man, one quick question before i order this! Will that PSU be more than strong enough? I was experiencing my entire pc crashing during intense wow moments. I blamed my RAM PSU and GPU. Will 100W more be ok?

Dont buy a gtx 960, the 1060 comes out in less than two weeks and is nearly double the performance. Even a reference cooled rx480 is a better idea than a 960.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reference (aka Founder's "we hiked the price for no reason" Edition), which is likely all that will be available for a month or so after launch, is $300. Also don't parrot Nvidia's PR claims of performance, they are always BS (AMD does it to, lesson is don't be a blind fanboy)... Wait for benchmarks from reputable sources... Based on Nvidia's own numbers, the 1060 draws 80% of the power that the 480 does, it has a TDP of 120 watts, where the 480 is 150 watts, that's 20% less, not 75%, so it's bullshit already.

OP, the best thing you can get for anywhere around $200 right now is the RX480.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-07-08 at 05:54 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

So if I order now I'm throwing away 200 dollars? Because I want to order it tonight. I have the shopping cart good to go just wanted to get word on the PSU. So a definite no on that video card?

Do not buy a gtx 960, repeat do not buy a gtx 960 lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    So if I order now I'm throwing away 200 dollars? Because I want to order it tonight. I have the shopping cart good to go just wanted to get word on the PSU. So a definite no on that video card?
    Correct, the 960 is NOT a good buy right now.

If you want the best card within your budget right now, get an RX480
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Is the RX480 out of stock? cause that would contradict the parameters ><

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the RX480 out of stock? cause that would contradict the parameters ><
    In most places, yes, it did just launch 8 days ago, after all... But the only other good option is the 1060, which doesn't even come out until the 19th, and every available card for about a month or so after will be $300, so it's not an option...

You do not want to buy a 960 right now, they are outdated and not worth the money... You are better off toughing it out with your 7770 for now and spending your money smartly... Don't let impatience drive you to make a bad purchase.

Ok so I suppose I'll order the other parts and wait for the GPU.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys I'm getting word that my AMD Radeon 7770 1gb isn't as in need of an upgrade as my i5-3570 3.4 GHz. At this point what is smarter to do?

Hey guys I'm getting word that my AMD Radeon 7770 1gb isn't as in need of an upgrade as my i5-3570 3.4 GHz. At this point what is smarter to do?
    The gains on the processor itself will be minimal (implying that you get i5-6500) - sub-10% the main difference is the memory upgrade, which is not that important for gaming. Difference between your 7770 and RX 480 will be very noticable on the other hand.

You got that backwards, a 7770 is about half as fast as my gtx 760....and my 760 is half as fast as a 980 (and the 1080 is twice as fast as a 980). Your CPU is still more than fine for any game on the market, even the newest intel CPU is barely any faster than your ivy bridge i5.

Its one of those times in video cards where it is best to wait it out, in a few weeks we should see 1060's and aftermarket 480's for MSRP or close to it.