Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Blizzard are not really innovators. They're refiners.
    They were refiners, i see nothing from them now but second rate attempts to keep up with what brings in a broad audience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Then they decided to start trading hats, and later other items. That's when it went downhill.
    Ummm, EXCUSE ME, but if you want to blame the buying/selling of hats as a "downfall" then you'll have to do the same with Overwatch's loot box system which is literally the same thing.

You can earn hats (although rare) just by playing game, same as earning a rare/epic skin from a random loot box by leveling up in Overwatch. Or you can buy keys to crates or trade/buy from other players. Same shit as buying loot boxes in Overwatch. Except the difference is TF2 makes 100% of its money from microtransactions now as it is a free game where as Overwatch, you pay $40+ for and then still have to pay to get more loot boxes if you want.

In BOTH cases they are aesthetic only items so you are not paying to win...
    Last edited by Saverem; 2016-07-10 at 06:03 AM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I just read this article on tomshardware and I think its extremely funny that since Blizzard broke into the FPS scene and most importantly the competitive Hero FPS scene (no other real games like Overwatch), Valve is now changing their Team Fortress 2 game to be almost a carbon copy of overwatch and its systems.

- They will be having a matchmaking system to pair players 6 on 6 (copied from Overwatch, check)
    - Gold, Silver and Bronze metals for how you did in categories like, most kills, damage, healing (carbon copy of Overwatch, check)
    - Competitive ranks (carbon copy of Overwatch, check)

It really looks like Blizzard is always at the forefront of innovation and imagination when it comes to any game they make. I love overwatch and cant wait to see what they add in the future, but it already looks like many developers are trying to copy the genius of the Blizzard developers.

Source Article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/tea...ode,32213.html
    Man. It's almost as if video games have been copying each other since their inception. Almost like that's basically what the entirety of human evolution is, in reality.

But man, you guys must be super duper smart for pointing that out for us. kthnx.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcotraz View Post
    Ah, the time-old "it's fine that WoW's lost 1/2-2/3rd's of its subscribers, because it's still several millions ahead of everyone else" argument.

Yes, & no. On the one hand, sure, it's absolutely still in the lead (by far). On the other hand, it's bleeding subscriptions at a ridiculous rate, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if it's had one of the biggest %-based drop-offs in MMO History. Income is nowhere near the levels they were at even just a handful of years ago, even with the Pet Store & Subscription Tokens shoring up some extra income, & that's a problem, because it signifies that Blizzard is indeed becoming stale, no matter what kind of money Overwatch may be bringing in now, as there's no guarantee of such numbers a year from now, or two if Blizzard has indeed lost its magical money-making touch.
    WoW hasn't reached its stabilization point yet and unless it never does and just continues to drop to nothing, or we get another couple mmos that obtain the number WoW has but loses subs slower, you can't call it a failure or blame the sub losses on Blizzard. You cant use the drop off % of a game with low subs as a comparison since WoW appealed to many types of gamers and there are only so many people that are willing to put up with the same thing for 10+ years.

If there are 100 million hentai game players in the world and 200,000 purchase "Shitting Furry Tentacles the MMO"(please for the love of god don't tell me this is real) and they see a drop off of .05% per year before stabilization and 50 million purchase "Fantasy Sex Island" which has a drop off rate of 17% before it stabilizes you can't really compare the drop off rates and state the Fantasy Sex Island devs are destroying the game as Shitting Furry Tentacles the MMO appealed to a very niche market whereas a larger variety of people joined Fantasy Sex Island.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Ummm, EXCUSE ME, but if you want to blame the buying/selling of hats as a "downfall" then you'll have to do the same with Overwatch's loot box system which is literally the same thing.

You can earn hats (although rare) just by playing game, same as earning a rare/epic skin from a random loot box by leveling up in Overwatch. Or you can buy keys to crates or trade/buy from other players. Same shit as buying loot boxes in Overwatch. Except the difference is TF2 makes 100% of its money from microtransactions now as it is a free game where as Overwatch, you pay $40+ for and then still have to pay to get more loot boxes if you want.

In BOTH cases they are aesthetic only items so you are not paying to win...
    Umm..EXCUSE ME but I didn't say anything about OW's loot boxes, nor did I say "downfall". I said that's when TF2 went downhill. A subtle difference but you should learn to read better.

TF2 at first wasn't micro-trans, it was pay-to-play. You bought the game and there was no trading or derping around with gear or items with other players. That's when the game was at its best because no one was hiding in a corner/behind a wall talking in voice about "hey, I'll trade my green hat for your blue hat" instead of playing the map like they always did before trading.

When TF2 started the trading items crap, 1/3 to 1/2 of your team stopped running the map and it ruined matches. It got worse from there and a lot of people left, including myself.

That's why I won't give a dime for OW, let alone $60. It's shit just like TF2 ended up being wrecked from greed.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2016-07-10 at 10:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Umm..EXCUSE ME but I didn't say anything about OW's loot boxes, nor did I say "downfall". I said that's when TF2 went downhill. A subtle difference but you should learn to read better.

TF2 at first wasn't micro-trans, it was pay-to-play. You bought the game and there was no trading or derping around with gear or items with other players. That's when the game was at its best because no one was hiding in a corner/behind a wall talking in voice about "hey, I'll trade my green hat for your blue hat" instead of playing the map like they always did before trading.

When TF2 started the trading items crap, 1/3 to 1/2 of your team stopped running the map and it ruined matches. It got worse from there and a lot of people left, including myself.

That's why I won't give a dime for OW, let alone $60. It's shit just like TF2 ended up being wrecked from greed.
    Umm... EXCUSE ME but did you honestly expect valve to keep TF2 up and free out of the goodness of their hearts? OF COURSE they needed to add micro transactions in order to still make a profit from their video game after making it FREE OF CHARGE.

I think it went uphill because it introduced tons of new people and is the main reason why a 10 year old FPS game is still very much popular today.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain

*Grabs popcorn*
    Volvo should have done this way long back

10+ Year Old Account
    Umm... EXCUSE ME but did you honestly expect valve to keep TF2 up and free out of the goodness of their hearts? OF COURSE they needed to add micro transactions in order to still make a profit from their video game after making it FREE OF CHARGE.

I think it went uphill because it introduced tons of new people and is the main reason why a 10 year old FPS game is still very much popular today.
    No they didn't need to go micro-trans, but if you like to believe that corporate BS go ahead. They made profit on the Orange Box sales like anyone else does with any other product. Valve already made back the initial investment cost hundreds of times over from box sales. By going F2P + micro-trans they just make more profit in the end than a simple one-time initial sale.

Some of you kids will buy into any bullshit these companies spew out if it sounds legit.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2016-07-10 at 06:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    But lost vikings and rock and roll racing.
    Rock n Roll racing is one of my favorite games from the SNES era, simply amazingly fun. I'd be all over it if they made another one based on the same concepts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    They didn't lose per say. They lost, but won. Then and Valve came up with an agreement that allowed Valve to use Dota 2 without issue and I can't remember what Blizzard got out of it. It wasn't more of a Blizzard wants full rights to it, but more acknowledged that where it came from. If I wasn't posting off mobile I'd take the time to look for the ruling, but mobile is a pita.
    I thought the case was about Valve using Defense of the Ancients as the name. They can only use DOTA, it can't be Defense of the Ancients. Either way, aren't the models of DOTA2 essentially altered WC3 models?

10+ Year Old Account
    Bhahaha, I think you forgot that OW is a carbon copy of TF2 there, Gold Silver Bronze is not OW first shit, it has been in soooooooo many games, TF2 was competitive when OW was not even a thought in peoples brain yet.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

10+ Year Old Account
    No they didn't need to go micro-trans, but if you like to believe that corporate BS go ahead. They made profit on the Orange Box sales like anyone else does with any other product. Valve already made back the initial investment cost hundreds of times over from box sales. By going F2P + micro-trans they just make more profit in the end than a simple one-time initial sale.

Some of you kids will buy into any bullshit these companies spew out if it sounds legit.
    Judging by your super edgy "location" I can see that you are very "anti establishment". Not going to bother arguing with you further until you grow a bit older and have a better understanding of how the world actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    Rock n Roll racing is one of my favorite games from the SNES era, simply amazingly fun. I'd be all over it if they made another one based on the same concepts.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a "remake"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    There is a "remake"

I have it on Steam, hilarious game and fun. However it doesn't have the same type of progression and customization Rock n Roll Racing. Also the camera is always on the leader, it is a bit frustrating in COOP after a while. If it had a progression and customization system I'd have loved it more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Judging by your super edgy "location" I can see that you are very "anti establishment". Not going to bother arguing with you further until you grow a bit older and have a better understanding of how the world actually works.
    You can't argue because you have no argument. FYI, I turned 55 a month ago and have a lot more knowledge of "how the world works" than some of the gullible sheep on this site.

So much for your theories.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't argue because you have no argument. FYI, I turned 55 a month ago and have a lot more knowledge of "how the world works" than some of the gullible sheep on this site.

So much for your theories.
    Wow, you went ahead and got yourself banned just so you wouldn't argue with me eh.

The lengths people go to get out of a discussion when they know they are wrong.

Well Overwatch pretty much copied TF2's entire class based FPS style of gameplay, so I don't see the problem with Valve copying some aspects back.
    no they did not. can people stop saying Overwatch=TF2 ???? The Gameplay Idea of Teamfortress is so old it goes back to the 90s.

Deleted
    TF2 has had 10 years to release competitive mode and didn't now it has and it turned off all the casual servers just wow..

I first played TF2 not long after release when it was still a pay to play game like OW but they lost me when they started releasing special weapons like the backburner etc.

Im more than happy to have cosmetics like golden guns but when they start with items that directly affect gameplay it gets a bit much.

Yeah, the window for TF2 competitive closed a long time ago, I don't really understand why Valve would suddenly put in the effort to rework everything to be competitive standards considering they've been complacent(lazy) for nearly a decade, just releasing cosmetics.

Also people worry too much about "copying" a style or genre.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Well Overwatch pretty much copied TF2's entire class based FPS style of gameplay, so I don't see the problem with Valve copying some aspects back.
    Valve copied it from the Team Fortress quake mod as well. They did the same with Dota and Counterstrike. Counterstrike's inspiration came from Action Quake mod. So now we have three examples of them taking a mod/level from another game and repacking it as a stand alone game.

Half Life and Portal and really their only original games.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Valve copied it from the Team Fortress quake mod as well. They did the same with Dota and Counterstrike. Counterstrike's inspiration came from Action Quake mod. So now we have three examples of them taking a mod/level from another game and repacking it as a stand alone game.

Half Life and Portal and really their only original games.
    I disagree.