Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why are Bonnie and Clyde celebrated in the media?

Bonnie and Clyde were two killers in the 1930s that crossed middle America in a rampage, shooting and killing 9 cops and many civilians. Yet the public embraced them almost as heroes, and there was no outrage about any of it.

The love affair with these two has spanned decades. Even as recently as 2013, the A&E TV network did a miniseries that portrayed them almost as heroes.

They depicted Bonnie and Clyde as photogenic, smirking at the camera and covered in cop blood.

Yet we have a cop shooting in Dallas and people go crazy. What exactly is the disconnect here? Why aren't people offended at how Bonnie and Clyde are portrayed?

Deleted
    Because it's called history....

Because the idea of romanticizing the "bad guys" has been a thing in media since people started writing fictional stories. They were the embodiment of the trope of the romantic badass bad couple who disobeyed the law.

Comparing it to modern time with fresh wounds is like comparing apples and oranges. You're talking about two things from two different generations, how can you possibly even imagine they're comparable?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aakarshan View Post
    Because the idea of romanticizing the "bad guys" has been a thing in media since people started writing fictional stories. They were the embodiment of the trope of the romantic badass bad couple who disobeyed the law.

Comparing it to modern time with fresh wounds is like comparing apples and oranges. You're talking about two things from two different generations, how can you possibly even imagine they're comparable?
    By his reasoning we shouldn't enjoy Dracula because of how nasty Vlad was. No WW2 comedies allowed.

Because the banking industry was still seen as shady as fuck, and they were seen as sticking it to them.
    Seems to have come full circle in that regard today.

Good song

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Bonnie and Clyde were two killers in the 1930s that crossed middle America in a rampage, shooting and killing 9 cops and many civilians. Yet the public embraced them almost as heroes, and there was no outrage about any of it.

The love affair with these two has spanned decades. Even as recently as 2013, the A&E TV network did a miniseries that portrayed them almost as heroes.

They depicted Bonnie and Clyde as photogenic, smirking at the camera and covered in cop blood.

Yet we have a cop shooting in Dallas and people go crazy. What exactly is the disconnect here? Why aren't people offended at how Bonnie and Clyde are portrayed?
    I thought you lot were all about being less PC and anti-SJW? Why the sudden crusade to censor....oh right, it's because your platform is all about applying standards to others but not yourselves.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

See the movie Natural Born Killers?

Quote Originally Posted by Aakarshan View Post

that's bullcrap. These were cop killers. Mass cop killers. They lived a few decades ago. And they get celebrated as recently as 3 years ago. That's offensive. Especially in the light of these shootings.

15+ Year Old Account
    that's bullcrap. These were cop killers. Mass cop killers. They lived a few decades ago. And they get celebrated as recently as 3 years ago. That's offensive. Especially in the light of these shootings.
    Well grats, be offended.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

People have a tendency to romanticise villains. Ronnie and Reggie Kray gained a cult-like status here in the UK. I think there's a part of us that has a begrudging respect for people who don't give a fuck.

Have you seen the show ? might be that they are not show as *heroes* also ... spoiler they did die a not so heroic death

I see it is time for Grummgug's biennial Bonnie and Clyde thread

Time is the equalizer.

It's really not. Things in the past are glorified, made light of and in their case they were so brazen that they were romanticized.

I never said my personal opinion on it, mind you. I'm saying that there's really no mystery as to why that's okay and your example is not.

Deleted
    They died in 1939, that's 76 years ago certainly more than a few....

It was rare to have a female gangster back then. And they called them gangsters.

I think Bonnie appealed to women.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    At that time, alot of people were poor and banks were evil as hell. Like a Robin Hood kind of thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    They died in 1939, that's 76 years ago certainly more than a few....
    They died in 1934 and 1939 was 77 years ago. Come on Adam.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.